PotBS - Review @ Gamespot

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Kevin VanOrd has reviewed PotBS over at Gamespot giving it a healthy 8/10.
Pirates of the Burning Sea isn't World of Warcraft with swashbuckling. In fact, if we were forced to draw comparisons between Flying Lab Software's massively multiplayer role-playing game and another title, it would be EVE Online. Like EVE, Pirates is a complex game featuring an intricate supply-line economy--and like its galactic counterpart, its rewards aren't always immediate or obvious. No, it takes a while for the game to wriggle into your psyche. This isn't because the early hours aren't fun--they are--but because there's a bit of a learning curve to conquer before the pieces all fall into place.
More information.

Welcome, Woges! :)

Yes, welcome. :) Glad to have you on both sides of the board. The MMO scene is a big one to cover--have fun.

Yes, welcome. :) Glad to have you on both sides of the board. The MMO scene is a big one to cover--have fun.

That short interview with Dave Perry I posted today he mentions that there are 800 MMOs out there already - I found that kind of mind boggling.

Excellent - now we will be completely over-run with MMO info ;)

It's only because there are a few days worth of news to post! Do not expect to have so many posts all the time!

My only complaint would be that you might write the name "POTBS" in full, of possible.

I just couldn't remember which game you meant and clicked the article just out of curiosity to find out. ;)

Could also be used as a marketing scheme. ;)

If you are looking from the MMOWatch main page it makes it pretty clear what the game is they just don't get commented on very much so they don't appear in the news comments forum much. The acronym is actually injected into the news title from the Watch DB because a full PotBS would take up all the title space.

As for marketing I'm trying to put a varied number of games up in as fair a manner as I can - but not really for marketing, more to keep it interesting.

I'm all for burning pirates wherever possible, myself. :)

As woges says, that acronym is part of the limitations of the editor we work through, AlriK--it was already set up to post the title that way because of space limitations. (The same thing happens with the 'Challenge of the Warlords' part of Puzzle Quest.) There are ways to get around it, but woges is just using the tools to hand.

I have to admit though I had no idea what game it was either. This is why I am not posting in the MMO news. :)

The acronyms are easily changed - and editors can change or override them if they wish. That said, I think this one is practical.

If enough people disagree, I'll take the acronym out and we can see how it goes.

Thinking about changing it to Burning Pirates of the Open Sea.

As a related side note, I would instead like to propose a simplification of "Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements". It seems a bit too long.

Back
Top Bottom