Blackguards - Video Preview @ Yogcast

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Blackguards - Video Preview @ Yogscast

The Yogscast has posted a new 15-Minute video preview of Blackguards.

I'm joined by Claas, one of the team at Daedalic Entertainment - the makers of Deponia - to play through the first part of the tutorial area for Blackguards.

Blackguards is a turn-based RPG set in a fantasy land (The Dark Eye universe), and should appeal to lovers of strategy, fantasy, and RPG based games like Diablo, XCOM and Dungeons and Dragons - see what you think!
More information.

Last edited:
Nice impressions, looks great!

Also to me this combat reminds me more of expeditions conquistador than X-Com but well...X-Com is probably the better known brand so...I'll forgive them. :p

It's Yogscast by the way.
It's a typo and I make them occasionally.;) Fixed now for your reading pleasure.
Nice impressions, looks great!

Also to me this combat reminds me more of expeditions conquistador than X-Com but well…X-Com is probably the better known brand so…I'll forgive them. :p
Yes it is a good impression and I can't wait till January to play it.

Hexes!!! The area movement interface for the prison was a little unusual, but there's definitely nothing about that video that makes me not want to play it. Getting my paws on this will make up for that Chaos Chronicles debacle. It won't be long now…

Looks great...except for the fact you couldn't even walk around the prison. If you're forever going to be jumping from set piece to set piece, it may start to feel too contrived for me.

O yes !
Anyone know a more exact release date then Q4-13 ?

Seems a game worth my money all the way.

Edit:
The answer i got:
Yes, the game has been delayed to January 2014, the reasons being that more work will be done on bugfixing, optimization and graphics. The new release date has yet to be announced.

Last edited:
German Amazon says January 25th.

The delay was announced earlier this week. I even posted it on the front page. It was supposed to be released this month. It's only two months so it's not that bad.:)

The delay was announced earlier this week. I even posted it on the front page. It was supposed to be released this month. It's only two months so it's not that bad.:)

Guess i missed it although i check this site 5 times a day.

Looks great…except for the fact you couldn't even walk around the prison. If you're forever going to be jumping from set piece to set piece, it may start to feel too contrived for me.

Yes, it bothered me too. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it will not be a "feature" in final release?

Yes, it bothered me too. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it will not be a "feature" in final release?

Guys it is a turn-based tactical fighting game. I would not characterize it as an "open world game".

The contrivance is a good story-based way to get us believably from one amazingly fun tactical battle to another.

Just my thoughts.

The way you hop from area to area reminds me a lot of XCOM but I thought xcom did the transitions better.

However, as I'm a combat first everything else second kind of guy I'll be picking this up day 1.

Hey, this doesn't look half bad! Definitely interested.

I wonder if this pans out for Daedalic, if they are going to invest more into a larger scope RPG, having the engine and systems nailed down and all. That'd be interesting...

Reminds me a lot of what I like(d) about the SSI gold box games. Each room you moved into…the stage is set. Sure, there were a few slam dunk rooms, but the fun ones were these. I still remember finally overcoming encounters that wiped the floor with my party the first try; and by learning better tactics and maybe a little luck, you'd finally get through. Very rewarding.
Each encounter was very well crafted. I hope it's the same with Blackguards.

This doesn't remind of Gold Box games at all, it looks much more like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre: LUCT to me. You move your party from one battle map to the next and have the opportunity to go shopping for better gear (etc.) once in awhile, plus there's dialogue scenes sprinkled in between to explain the plot, just like in those games. There's nothing wrong with this approach, mind you, but comparing it to GB games where you had complete freedom to explore as you saw fit, seems a bit off to me.

That said, I'm cautiously hopeful about Blackguards and will keep a close eye on it for sure. Here's hoping they don't go overboard with that "grimdark" story of theirs. The consant boasting about their mature and "oh so dark" story is starting to become irritating (and a bit embarassing).

I had an report on the story in my thread about the RPC somewhere ...

I can't find it anymore, since the Search Engine here doesn't accept "RPC" as a search-word.

Back
Top Bottom