Venetica - Steam Greenlight

But what about someone who represents ~100% buy (compared to pirate), plays games in 'real' genres that take 4-6 hours to complete - and finish a couple a week, engage socially and competitively while gaming, and so on?

Sure, but 50% of those people aren't women. Of course you're free to believe whatever you like.

Yeah, those are women. It has been shown that spenders are women, pirates are male. Women play more than the games you would like to stereotype them as playing. It is time to stop looking down on them as inferior.

This has nothing to do with viewing anyone as superior/inferior. Your comment comes off as nothing more than a kneejerk reaction.

Sure, but 50% of those people aren't women. Of course you're free to believe whatever you like.

Sure - but neither are they all men. If you believe the gaming demographics are the same as they were a year, two year, or five years ago ... let me introduce you to this place called 'reality' :)

This has nothing to do with viewing anyone as superior/inferior. Your comment comes off as nothing more than a kneejerk reaction.

The rather heavily implied assumption was that the vast majority (basically ALL) women who would account for the near equality of gaming demographics are clueless Facebook FarmVille people who play 15 minutes a week at most. That is also a knee-jerk reaction ... and wrong.

Sure - but neither are they all men. If you believe the gaming demographics are the same as they were a year, two year, or five years ago … let me introduce you to this place called 'reality' :).

Thanks... you should try joining us sometime. :)

The rather heavily implied assumption was that the vast majority (basically ALL) women who would account for the near equality of gaming demographics are clueless Facebook FarmVille people who play 15 minutes a week at most. That is also a knee-jerk reaction … and wrong.

Because people who play Farmvile are objectively inferior to hardcore gamers? Thanks for enlightening us there.

Because people who play Farmvile are objectively inferior to hardcore gamers? Thanks for enlightening us there.

As gamers? By your own words you said that they were ... in fact you said that they didn't even qualify as gamers. And in context you stated that that was the only reason for the female numbers. These are your words, your statements - please don't put them on me. Because I disagree. Just like I disagree with D'Artagnan that meeting someone in a normal environment and finding them attractive is the same as gawking at them in a strip club.

As gamers? By your own words you said that they were … in fact you said that they didn't even qualify as gamers. And in context you stated that that was the only reason for the female numbers. These are your words, your statements - please don't put them on me. Because I disagree. Just like I disagree with D'Artagnan that meeting someone in a normal environment and finding them attractive is the same as gawking at them in a strip club.

I said I didn't consider people who only play casual games to be "gamers". That doesn't make them inferior. You chose to interpret that as something more than what I said. I'm not going to waste anymore time going in circles here though, so I'm sure we can just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
The vast majority don't really care. We just want to play games. The vocal minority and I hate that term flame the embers on both sides Alrik. Especially Kotaku and gamasutra.

How about we go back to talking about Venetica? :)

I recently installed it after grabbing it off GamersGate about a week or so ago. Only played about an hour so far, but I have to say this game seems to have some potential.

Judging by the starting village and surrounding countryside, the environments and atmosphere are quite well done. I don't know how "open" the rest of the game is, but my first impression is that there's some fun to be had with exploration. It's actually not too unlike a Gothic or Risen in how the world is set up.

Combat seems a bit on the simplistic side though. I don't know how much it changes upon learing new skills, but it seems like it mainly just consists of counter-attacking after dodging an enemy's attack.

I loved Venetica. I actually like the exterior city of Venetica better than Dishonored's Dunwall (But Dishonored interiors squash Venetica). There is no question Venetica is an easy to play game but I had a lot of fun with the it and hope the developers make a sequel.

I loved Venetica. I actually like the exterior city of Venetica better than Dishonored's Dunwall (But Dishonored interiors squash Venetica). There is no question Venetica is an easy to play game but I had a lot of fun with the it and hope the developers make a sequel.

It's half a miracle that a 2.5 or so years old Venetica made for ca. 1M€ per platform can compete with a AAA game like Dishonored at all.

Venetica is a remarkably effective game.

How about we go back to talking about Venetica? :)

I recently installed it after grabbing it off GamersGate about a week or so ago. Only played about an hour so far, but I have to say this game seems to have some potential.

Judging by the starting village and surrounding countryside, the environments and atmosphere are quite well done. I don't know how "open" the rest of the game is, but my first impression is that there's some fun to be had with exploration. It's actually not too unlike a Gothic or Risen in how the world is set up.

The starting area is actually not among the game's most interesting. There's a lot to see in Venice.
Exploration? Some. Most areas are semi-open, with a couple of connected alternative path. Others, especially in Venice, make good use of the 3D environment. It never gets close to a Gothic though.

Combat seems a bit on the simplistic side though. I don't know how much it changes upon learing new skills, but it seems like it mainly just consists of counter-attacking after dodging an enemy's attack.
Yes, something like that. Plus they use rock - paper - scissors on the weapons. Some weapons simply don't work against certain opponents.
The boss fights are fair. Almost always is their weak spot clearly marked.
I found the combat more than okay. It gets to the point and doesn't annoy. Compared to a couple of other games that's pure gold. ;)

One thing I particularly liked is that Scarlet really looks good in her armour. The few sets of armour are tailor-made, and they look like it. No battle bikini and other such nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom