Neverwinter Nights unplayable stutter lag

Neritikes

Watcher
Anyone else experiencing extreme stuttering with neverwinter nights diamond edition ? I thought it was my old integrated video card but the game still stuttering with a radeon r7,is not disk usage,i played in windowed mode to see the disk usage,the game uses almost no disk at all,is not sound because i changed every sound option and i also tried indirectsound and dsoal still stuttering,windowed mode ? still stuttering,1 cpu affinity ? still stuttering,reinstalled the game ? still stuttering,low graphics settings ? still stuttering…

i have the same problem with baldurs gate,planescape and icewind dale games but in neverwinter nights is literally unplayable.Neverwinter Nights 2 also have stuttering but the client extension fixed it completely.

here a example of the same stutter i have with the game:

https://youtu.be/VVxghGP77Tg?t=1218

here a example of the game running without stutter:

https://youtu.be/MI-1QSAov-w?t=290

any solution ?

Have you been trying to play that in compatibility mode ?

These games are pretty light weight for any video card. If BG is doing that I’d guess you have some nasty background processes consuming resources. Anti virus and browsers chewing up cycles. Run your performance manager while in the game for a minute and then look at the output. Is this a laptop? If so check your power settings and don’t run off pure battery. It throttles things. Just some ideas.

Could it still be using the integrated video card? It could also be whatever you're using to record the video - have you tried just playing without recording/streaming?

P.S. I've got no idea what the "client extension" is?

It has been quite some time since I last played this game, but I don't recall any bad lag or stuttering when I was playing. I was using the great old games version, if that is a factor.

Anyone else experiencing extreme stuttering with neverwinter nights diamond edition ? I thought it was my old integrated video card but the game still stuttering with a radeon r7,is not disk usage,i played in windowed mode to see the disk usage,the game uses almost no disk at all,is not sound because i changed every sound option and i also tried indirectsound and dsoal still stuttering,windowed mode ? still stuttering,1 cpu affinity ? still stuttering,reinstalled the game ? still stuttering,low graphics settings ? still stuttering…

i have the same problem with baldurs gate,planescape and icewind dale games but in neverwinter nights is literally unplayable.Neverwinter Nights 2 also have stuttering but the client extension fixed it completely.

here a example of the same stutter i have with the game:

https://youtu.be/VVxghGP77Tg?t=1218

here a example of the game running without stutter:

https://youtu.be/MI-1QSAov-w?t=290

any solution ?

I would try doing the opposite. Try instead running the game(s) WITH the integrated video card. Also, is your R7 an MSI card by any chance?

I had this problem with an old game I downloaded recently. The answer was in your system set-up rather than the game's fault.

Here's what I did to get things back to normal:

Compatibility settings • Link[edit]
Issues with the game may be corrected with compatibility settings. For the Steam version go to <path-to-game>\[Your game]\ and right click on Yourgame.exe. Select properties and set the compatibility settings. This can cause serious performance issues on windows 10.

I think when you download games they come pre-destined to run in a certain compatibility mode, that mode might not work for your system, but one of the choices from the drop-down should.

Only time I had lag was when I used HD graphic re-placers with the classic version. The new enhanced version has no problem running the same re-placers.

The only thing I can remember is that a video card can be sometimes too fast for an older game, with stutter being the result.
I don't remember anymore, however, where I read this, and what the internal cause was.

i tried every thing possible and the game still stutter,i trying now a dual boot with win 8.1 64 bits i hope it works.

I know that a lot of newer graphics drivers cause stutters in games like NWN, but it's always hard to find the exact combination of cards/drivers that actually work. If this is the GOG edition, I'd try over on the GOG forums, and if it's the Enhanced Edition, I'd try over on the Beamdog forums.

Just start off by explaining what you've already tried, otherwise you'll get the usual "run as admin" suggestion.

what are these modes of compatibility for example ???
If you right click on the .exe game file and select Properties, there's a tab for compatibility. There's a drop down there that lets you pick which version of Windows the game should pretend to be using.

Yeah, the most common one is games coming automatically with compatibility mode set to Windows XP when you're using 7 or newer.

In some instances, you can run setup.exe in Compatibility Mode:
Right-click the setup.exe file > Properties.
On the Compatibility tab, click Show settings for all users.
In the Setup.exe Properties dialog box, select Run this program in compatibility mode for.
Select the operating system you are using.

compatibility-mode-2-jpg.108

And sometimes the best option is just to leave this checkbox unchecked and let the game figure everything out itself. The game I had an issue with came automatically checked to XP & all I did was uncheck the box and the game worked fine.

I knew the game should have worked fine as it was a game I'd played on my system many times, I was just using the disk version & only had an issue with the downloaded gog version. So I googled & discovered this issue & solution.

Windows 10 only lets me go back to Vista.

Just buy the EE. Seriously, I had so many problems running NWN that I ended up playing in 640x480 resolution and prayed it didn't crash. The Enhanced Edition removes all that and it runs buttery smooth with no crashes now for me.

Windows 10 only lets me go back to Vista.

That's interesting. So a game that comes pre-checked to run in compatibility mode with XP would likely be automatically unchecked for windows 10 users but screw over windows 7/8 users.

Just buy the EE.
Please do not waste more money on that aurora trash and it's later version for phones. I'll install the original garbage this weekend on my PC to check it out and if it misbehaves like in your case, will find the solution for you if possible. Believe me I'd rather spend the weekend inside iron maiden then return to the overrated abomination.

Back
Top Bottom