HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The spring update for Solasta: Crown of the Magister is planned for March 25:

Spring Update planned for March 25th!

Hey there folks,

We know you're eager to have a go at Solasta's Spring Update, so we're just going to come clean with the date. You'll be able to enjoy everything we've been talking about the last few weeks on Thursday March 25th - including the brand new Dungeon Maker. Alright, now for more information about this upcoming patch...

Spring Update Community Stream
As per usual, we'll be hosting a stream on Twitch to accompany the update. Join us on the day before the patch, Wednesday March 24th, at 9 am PDT / 12 pm EDT / 5 pm CET to discover the new content at our side and ask us any question you can think of! The participants this time will be Mathieu, Creative Director, Xavier, Gameplay Director, Pierre, Marketing Director and myself Emile, Community Lead. Make sure to follow us on Twitch so that you don't miss the stream!

[...]
Thanks Redglyph and Henriquejr!

More information.

Two noteworthy bits:
  • Save files will become incompatible with the Spring Update, so you'll have to start fresh! For those who want to finish their current run, we will put the previous version of the game (January Update) on a separate Steam branch so that you can keep playing if you want to.
  • Solasta will be discounted when the Spring Update hits the store on March 25th until March 31st, after which the price of the game will increase from $35 to $40 in anticipation of the 1.0 release.
... and for the 2nd point, they added This is due to the fact that Steam prevents games from discounting within 30 days of a price increase, so we unfortunately cannot increase the price when 1.0 gets released while also having a launch discount. ;)

That may push those who are pretty sure to buy it.

Funny, I can't see the train of people mocking "an announcement of an announcement" in this thread. Guess this studio isn't succesfull enough yet to incite all that raw, nitpicky criticism that Larian does.

Always interesting to see how we rise our heroes, just so we can lynch them. Enjoy your period of grace, Tactical Adventures, we're coming for you. :)

How is it an announcement of an announcement? The actual update is on the 25th. Did you read the newsbit?

It's also nice of them to tell fans that the price will be increasing, so if you want to save a few dollars, pick the game up soon.

Well I can mock this developer but nah I'm to lazy and it's break-feat time.:p
How is it an announcement of an announcement? The actual update is on the 25th. Did you read the newsbit?
My guess is she was bothered by mocking replies on the announcement of a patch by Larian for BG 3. Basically calling those that did hypocrites. Psst I was one of them.

If you announce something 8 days before an actual event that's not announcing an announcement. It's announcing a real thing. If Solasta would have said on March 25th we're going to announce the release date of our Spring Patch, that would have been announcing an announcement. I just wanted to practice the various forms of the word announce honestly ;)

Yeah, I don't have any impulse to knock down the tall poppies - if a studio does a good job and delivers something I enjoy, I'm happy to support them always. With Larian, I've always found them quite irritating in some aspects, and never been quite as enamoured with their games as some. But they have to receive credit for fighting the good fight of the indie RPG scene, at a time when it was very difficult.

If you announce something 8 days before an actual event that's not announcing an announcement. It's announcing a real thing. If Solasta would have said on March 25th we're going to announce the release date of our Spring Patch, that would have been announcing an announcement. I just wanted to practice the various forms of the word announce honestly ;)

I reread the original news you refer to concerning bg3 (here : https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46972 ) and you certainly have a point, here.

That said, kudos to Tactical Adventures for having such great communications!

we have decided to turn "Preserve Random Seed" off by default

That's an interesting design decision and they explain it very well.

The two options are certainly workable... but personally, I think I prefer to have it off.

It's also nice of them to tell fans that the price will be increasing, so if you want to save a few dollars, pick the game up soon.

Also known as a commercial strategy to cash in now, and it's used by pretty much every Early Access product to "hook" potential customers that they may lose later. Even your phone company has been doing this to you "if you contract before may 21st, get a 30% off!" and I'm sure you didn't think they were nice.

Anyway, enough negativity from me! I don't even know where it's coming from since I like a lot how Solasta looks and I will almost guaranteed buy the game at release. I'll pay the higher price but in exchange I'll get a full product at a time that I'm 100% sure I'll actually have time to put on the game, because there is also a chance that I can't play it then, or it is buggy, and then I can buy it later at a discount, when it's more playable.

Lessons learned from the likes of WL3 and CP2077 (ie very good games that I ruined for myself by buying them too soon)

Yeah I agree with what others have said here, smart of them to warn folks of the impending sale. That should get quite a few people to pony up a tad bit earlier than they might have without a sale.

About the sale, the justification piques my curiosity, are they trying to hint at a release soon? Or am I reading too much between the lines? I'd be surprised, because they were more likely to release that in summer.

Or it's more probably just that they do the discount now because they can't do it on release, but it's an obscure justification. Either way, it's a nice opportunity for some.

PS. @Nereida; look what you've done with this announcement thing ;)

Yeah, I was a bit touchy with that last time too, @Couchpotato; earns a cookie

PS. @Nereida; look what you've done with this announcement thing ;)

Yeah, I was a bit touchy with that last time too, @Couchpotato; earns a cookie

I definitely need to put less salt on my meals. :lol:

Tactical Adventures is looking like a very solid studio so it's something to celebrate. Just to reiterate, pretty much guaranteed day one buy from me.

I bought early because people I typically have similar tastes with had purchased it. I thought it was well worth the moolah, but it may delay me playing on release because I will have already played all of the early content.

I would have bought BG3 too, but not for $59. I'm not really a party-based gamer. I buy those types on sale normally; unless I'm bored.
@Couchpotato; Off-topic Did you buy Valheim? I think you're mostly buy at release, but man this game is going to mod like Skyrim, thanks to the BepinX stuff.

@Couchpotato Off-topic Did you buy Valheim? I think you're mostly buy at release, but man this game is going to mod like Skyrim, thanks to the BepinX stuff.
Nope I haven't bought it yet so correct I'll probably buy it on release. I've tried a few other similar games and find I enjoy them. I blame Fallout 4 settlement building.

Last edited:
I tried Valheim but the graphics were too low grade for that style of game for me to get into.

Solasta I am following and looking forward to the reactions on the spring update. For now I plan on waiting for the final release to pick it up.

I'm looking forward to more encounters. I find the vertical maps to be overdone and hope they tamp that down a bit. I'd like some nice flat encounters to balance out the goofy 4 story fights.

Did they update face models or is it at least in list of their future patch plans?

I find Solasta graphics really pretty excluding face models :/

Back
Top Bottom