What games are you playing now?

I never use mods either. Awesome how abstract debates can also make us realise we share similar tastes when the discussion widens :) I'm also not a great fan of the Fallout universe, whoever has made it.

Reading this I just realized that maybe stuff like this comes from younger gamers? I mean, I'm 46 and what you said just wouldn't make sense years ago. And then I started thinking, when did characters personalities start being more important than actual gameplay in RPGs? Certainly it wasn't an issue when playing Wizardry, Eye of the Beholder, even Ultima. The gold box games also didn't have characters with personalities that I remember. Then in Baldur's Gate we had some characters with a sliver of personality and ocassional banter. So I wonder at what point characters' personalities became the main aspect of RPGs instead of the actual gameplay?

I don't think it's really younger gamers preferring characters' personalities vs actual gameplay. It's more that there are more choices with games now which brought these crowd to gaming when there were almost none before. Not sure about what point it started, but in my opinion, perhaps BG2? ;)

@lackblogger: I mod the hell out of F4 as soon as they start popping. The base game is cool, but I love tweaking all the stuff. I've just finally burned out on it for the moment after, a pause while I launch steam....414 hours.

So I bought all the DLC along with the main game of DAI. It was about the same as just F4 and I get all the goodies. I was disappointed with the mod scene on this game though. It's just a few titty mods and other textures.

To be fair to the haters, I believe that most of them have admitted to pirating instead of buying their Beth games ;) .

I bought Skyrim.. because I thought it would be different… I have played it for a few hours…. probably the most boring hours in my life.

I bought Fallout 3, because people said it would be different, I played it for a few hours, probably the second most boring hours in my life :D

I keep hoping that Beth games would be as great as some people said they are... I guess I am a fool.

Anyhow I refuse to pirate anything, no matter how much I think it would suck… I did buy both on big discounts though.

I tried Morrowind with mods once. Mods that made everything purrty. Uninstalled them two days later - whatever that game was, it wasn't Morrowind.
I want my games vanilla. A game must please me right OOTB or not at all.
I once installed a mod that added cats to either Morrowind or Oblivion. It was so nice to see them walking around, the world became livelier outright:)

I didn't get into those games much, though. In Morrowind in particular the walking speed was so slow that I had to use some cheat people told me to double it. Still have no idea how people play it without mods.

I've played quite a bit of Oblivion, but eventually got bored. Same with Skyrim. Maybe I should've followed only the main story in Oblivion, but in Skyrim I did that it it turned out to be impossible. The dragon descended and killed me at one point, my char wasn't strong enough to kill it. Not the first dragon, mind you, the second one that flyes around when you're climbing the hill to the meeting spot (I can't remember what it was about well enough to describe it in words, but you're supposed to get powers there). So I thought: ok, I guess this game expects my char to be strong at this point, but I'm not interested in random quests, so...

Despite Dragon's Dogma releasing soon, I started Lightning Returns: FFXIII anyway.

And I will probably put that game on the virtual tablet. What kind of keyboard/mouse support is that. The two previous games were not bad, but this one is just weird. There is zero mouse support in the game, you need to use the keyboard to move the camera lol. The devs also had a weird idea for buttons mapping. You have 5 possible actions in combat and they mapped that to "U", "Enter", "M", "." and another far away key.

I remapped everything and the camera doesn't seem to need to be moved much, but still.

I bought Skyrim.. because I thought it would be different… I have played it for a few hours…. probably the most boring hours in my life.

I bought Fallout 3, because people said it would be different, I played it for a few hours, probably the second most boring hours in my life :D

I keep hoping that Beth games would be as great as some people said they are… I guess I am a fool.

Anyhow I refuse to pirate anything, no matter how much I think it would suck… I did buy both on big discounts though.

Lol. My brother does the same with bioware games. He's bought every one of them and disliked them all.

I'm doing some bloodborne here and there and sprinkling in a little life is strange. Too busy at the moment to start anything serious.

I've reserved this Friday, Saturday and Sunday for dragons dogma though.

I decided to install and try ME again. Oh goodness, I tried so long and hard to create a semblance of Bastila Shan. But when I saw that char in the game, she looked exactly like a female version of Hannibal would look instead (from the new series). Geez, I've always been bad with character creation, but this bad? I guess she'll have to be a Renegade, with looks like these…

Wow the graphics is so bad in this game. I remember I was blown away when I played the beginning years ago, and now I even found some HD texture patch to install, but it still isn't looking good. 3D games always suffer from aging up, unlike 2D. I didn't realize ME was that old.

I have no idea what's going on yet, searching for some beacon. And the game plays like a cover up shooter even with "powers" :( Maybe I should've created an infiltrator, after all, cloaking around would make the game a bit more varied.

"Powers" are nothing to write home about (yet), so I put nearly all points into conversational skills. Kaidan keeps dying all the time, why can't he apply medicine on his own? I don't want to waste one for myself only to cure him in the process. He should be smarter and apply it when he's hurt, dammit, it's not like I'm looking at his HP in the battle all the time.

Still can't figure out some basic stuff, like how to see all the upgrades I've got. Hopefully the tutorial keeps telling me useful things about the game's interface. And oh that accursed message that I'm using untrained weapons… Not my fault the game doesn't allow me to put points into weapons, guys! Remove that message from my screen already!

And this is how it goes so far :)

I had set aside my 'rebuild' project on my Alienware (darn these short warranties!), but really wanted to play some PC games, so it is on again, and I think I am in pretty good shape after a few days, and have some stuff reinstalled and am upgrading to Win10.

My desire after playing KotOR was to jump to NWN2 ... But the Mac version was pulled by Aspyr, so back to PC I go. And remembered I hadn't finished my replay of NWN1 either! :)

I decided to install and try ME again. Oh goodness, I tried so long and hard to create a semblance of Bastila Shan. But when I saw that char in the game, she looked exactly like a female version of Hannibal would look instead (from the new series). Geez, I've always been bad with character creation, but this bad? I guess she'll have to be a Renegade, with looks like these…

ME character creator is notorious for generating crap faces. That's why most people play Sheploo (default male face).

I didn't realize ME was that old.

It will be 10 years old on November 20th 2017.

Kaidan keeps dying all the time, why can't he apply medicine on his own? I don't want to waste one for myself only to cure him in the process. He should be smarter and apply it when he's hurt, dammit, it's not like I'm looking at his HP in the battle all the time.

Medigel is applied to everyone on use. Also, you might want to tell Kaidan to take cover (that's explained in the game tutorial).

Also, you probably want to look at the skill menu to see what are your skills (how can you have spent points into conversation skills and not looking at that yet???)*.

It will be 10 years old on November 20th 2017.
*jaw drops*

That explains a lot. Time flies swiftly, I never realized so much of it has passed.

Medigel is applied to everyone on use. Also, you might want to tell Kaidan to take cover (that's explained in the game tutorial).
How do I get medigel?

I must admit I'm a bit confused. At first I was pressing F and healing my party, however, at some point I couldn't heal any longer. Not enough medigel? Why? I don't even know how I made it to the beacon with that little sliver of HP that was left. Mostly by hiding while others shot enemies down, I guess, and by running away. So glorious! ;)

What I read online about healing confused me even more. They say you regenerate HP when you take cover. Well, my "Hannibal the Cannibal" is a special case then, she does NOT.

Maybe Adept was a bad choice, too. Right now I feel kinda frustrated playing, b/c it's like a bad shooter with tiny RPG elements tucked on. I don't want to play a shooter, it's so mind-numbingly boring. Not even a good one, let alone such a crappy one. Is there any class that can help me avoid shooting completely? Adept feels a bit like a mage but whose skills can't replace shooting completely thanks to lengthy cooldowns.

P.S. Never knew that not seeing how much HP enemies have can be bad in the game. I think it would make a shooting aspect more tolerable if they had visible HP representations. Without it, the game really feels like a bona fide shooter.

Last edited:
They do have visible HP representation...

Anyway, you can replenish medigel by looting many of the containers called medical containers or something.

Also later in the game not so far away you can replenish at the med bay.

Change the combat difficulty to easy if you don't like it.

They do have visible HP representation…
Why didn't I see it? :'(

Change the combat difficulty to easy if you don't like it.
That's a nice idea, the less shooting the better! It's going to be the first time I set the difficulty to easy to reduce the game mechanics I didn't like.

How do I get medigel?

Looting containers, but you got a max value (can be increase via items later).

Also, health and shield regen slowly in the game (unlike the sequels where it is fast), never enter combat without full health/shield. The start is rough for Adepts because they don't have their best CC skill (singularity), have long cooldowns on throw/wrap and they should use a pistol with limited range when the map on Eden Prime favors sniper/rifles. That means advancing slowly and taking advantage of cover (or playing on easy).

Once you get high enough your cooldowns are going to be basically instant and you will be able to cast wrap/throw/singularity all the time.

Also, you should give Kaidan barrier the first time you level up which is quite early on the map. It will increase his survival rate.

Over the past week I've played Gothic, Spelunky, FTL and Eve Online. The last one must be (very) slowly dying, got the first ever 3 months for $10 sign up offer so gave it a go for old times sake. My remaining toons were created in 2004-2005. Have been playing FTL more seriously as well, whilst hard it's a very good game once you start getting the hang of it. A single player space combat sim mixing the micro management of FTL in a graphically rich 3D environment like Eve would be interesting.

I think I'm almost done with Final Fantasy three, got my most recent classes set up and getting my grind on. Hopefully I should finish this puppy in time for Dogma!

And then I'll probably play some other Final Fantasy games. Let's face it, they are all decent for turn based combat, even if the avatars look a lot like colourful roadkill.

the avatars look a lot like colourful roadkill.

Bartz reacts with rage to your uninformed statement!

latest

Over the past week I've played Gothic, Spelunky, FTL and Eve Online. The last one must be (very) slowly dying, got the first ever 3 months for $10 sign up offer so gave it a go for old times sake. My remaining toons were created in 2004-2005. Have been playing FTL more seriously as well, whilst hard it's a very good game once you start getting the hang of it. A single player space combat sim mixing the micro management of FTL in a graphically rich 3D environment like Eve would be interesting.

Have a look at into the stars.

It's an early access game but it looks quite nice.

Bumpymcsquigums has a first look on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom