General News - Best RPG of 2017 @ VGChartz

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted VGChartz RPG top-list of 2017:

Best RPG of 2017

2017 was another strong year for RPGs and was dominated by highly anticipated sequels. Although some dissappointed, many managed to maintain - and even surpass - the quality fans have come to expect from these series. Ubisoft released South Park: The Fractured but Whole, which continued the hilarity of the 2014 original. Persona 5 finally came to the West after a series of delays, proving that it was worth the wait. Team Ninja also unleashed Nioh, a game seemingly brought back from development hell to rave reviews. Finally, Nintendo gave us Xenoblade Chronicles 2 late in the year, which quickly became the premier RPG for the Nintendo Switch.

[...]

Winner: Persona 5

Persona continues to please RPG fans with its blend of a deep story, interesting characters, stylized visuals, and mature themes. Although the wait was long, with Persona 5 P-Studio has once again proven it can provide an experience that rivals the best RPG developers in the industry and do so with flair and style to spare. It is little surprise then that Persona 5 is this site's pick for best RPG of 2017.
More information.

Sorry, have to write I'm laughing like crazy on this pick.

Tastes matter, sure, being paid to advertise exclusives on garbageware, sure, but cmon.
I'd buy HZD any day over that outdated sillyness up there.

I'm not sure how Ubijunk wound up on his list, but it is difficult to dispute just how good Persona five is. Some of the other games on the list are quite decent as well.

I normally don't care either way about lists and such, as they're so subjective, but I have to admit: That is a strange selection for 2017.

Persona 5 is my 3rd choice for RPG of the year (or Game of the Year for that matter since I mostly play RPGs). First would be Nier: Automata, second is Divinity Original Sin 2, third is Persona 5.

Persona 5 definitely wouldn't be my personal pick for RPG of the year, but I can't fault someone for picking it, it was a very good and interesting game.

Back
Top Bottom