RPGWatch Feature - Inquisitor Review

Which is why though I enjoy that type of gameplay, it is definitely not a game for everyone; the ARPG crowd will quickly get bored I feel.

I agree with both viewpoints. It is a little too wordy, but that is also part of its charm. The biggest problem I had with inquisitor, is that Chapter Two felt like Chapter One all over again and then Chapter 3 was starting to feel the same when I gave up. The inquisition parts of the game were just too repetitive. Still, a noble effort and well worth the measly $15.

Yep, I agree; Ch2 and 3 were very much a rinse and repeat of Ch 1 in many ways, even to similar NPC's!!

Let's not twist it to something that it is not. It's extremely wordy even for old school gamers. I liked it, but I thought it was merely average. I don't think it is only the ARPG fans that will become bored.

Well Torment was extremely wordy, and it's my favorite game of all time. And it was almost all tell not show. Really, I'm not interested in a "cinematic experience" much. To each his own, just don't expect others to accept modern day console standards.

I tried to watch a youtube "lets play" of Inquisitor and fell asleep watching the guy wade through countless screens of dialog. Is the translation well done? I don't think I can stomach reading buckets of poorly translated text. Torment is long winded but well written and entertaining. What is Inquisitor like?

Trust me, torment has extremely less text, like I said I like text but man it was a lot in this game. The writing is ok, sometimes it is a bit off. I feel it's like reading a passage from a book that you select topics for.

What on earth does expecting others to accept modern day console standards have to do with anything? It by far has the most text I have seen in *any* rpg I have played since the apple 2 days.

I found that the clunky combat and UI was a much bigger issue than the reading. Grinding zombies bother me a whole lot more than reading every now and then, and you spend a lot more time doing that.

Game completed - 260 hours playtime with all quests completed at Level 54 - maximum difficulty thief using no combat magic, just the bow. Played solo as followers were too reactive but might have used a magic's follower if available earlier in the game and only if the inventory and stats were configurable both during play and on level-up. Re-spawns were fast and furious in final act. The storyline is more purpose aligned toward the game ending. I played Inquisitor for the challenge to get the max effect to see how far i could push to the limit. The great walls of text were beautiful, i wish there was more, re-spawns were a piece of cake. This game is not for casuals or impatient types. My game ran smooth from start to finish with not the slightest trace of any clunky combat.

I tried to watch a youtube "lets play" of Inquisitor and fell asleep watching the guy wade through countless screens of dialog. Is the translation well done? I don't think I can stomach reading buckets of poorly translated text. Torment is long winded but well written and entertaining. What is Inquisitor like?

I just started playing this and having a surprisingly good time, Corwin's review was a big help to get me prepared for everything the game offered.

Actually the translation is excellent, much better than I expected and so far really interesting also. A lot of the questions you ask do repeat between characters but the responses are different and slowly open up the story and give you important clues as you go along.
And I've played enough old school RPG's over the last 25 years to handle the mechanics of this one easily enough.

Let's not twist it to something that it is not. It's extremely wordy even for old school gamers.

No, it really isn't. "Old School" text based games certainly had a large amount of text to provide the player. The transition to "show, don't imagine" happened very very rapidly and turned many RPGs into ARPGs overnight. See, the problem is that tabletop is nearly impossible to "show" without making all kinds of a mess (and when you do start showing, people complain and cry about weapons clearly hitting)… not only with the combat system, but also with the ability to do actions outside said system that affects combat resolution. Really, even Inquisitor is more ARPG than RPG which is something people miss too often, that combat, even any combat, really isn't what makes an RPG.

A great deal of the text is also clearly "copied" from what other people said, sometimes even verbatium. You could talk to people and get the generic responses in old school RPGs over and over and over and say "this is wordy because everyone has an option to be spoken to" but what happened here was simply everyone was given mostly unique text. It appears wordy only because you have multiple unique dialogs with little variation between them.

Which is why though I enjoy that type of gameplay, it is definitely not a game for everyone; the ARPG crowd will quickly get bored I feel.

I think that people REALLY don't understand what the ARPG crowd is which is why people are acting like they play "RPGs." Heck, even with the better RPGs there's always two ways to play.

A) Take in the entire atmosphere and really feel like you're the person there doing these actions
B) Blah blah, text, blah blah, Oh a quest! Lets go kill things!

You can

A) Develop a "class" beforehand and give yourself intentional but interesting handicaps
B) Max-Min, Headshot WOOT!

You can

A) Sit around in town not really doing much, maybe simply reading misc books you picked up, for a few hours and save+quit being fufilled
B) Are you kidding? I'd slaughter the town and then reload and slaughter them again!

Playing something that has strongish RPG elements like an ARPG means you still are playing ARPGs.

Back
Top Bottom