Mass Effect 2 - Steam Sale

It ends "today", whenever that is with the various time zones.

This week's EA specials all lasted for 24 hours beginning/ending at 10:00AM PST, i.e. 06:00PM GMT or 07:00PM (19:00) here in Germany. So this offer is going to last another ~18 hours as of the time of this comment.
BTW, looking at the past week's specials and Steam's EA catalogue it is pretty much guaranteed that tomorrow is going to be all about Dragon Age discounts.

Jeez, even with the sale Awakening is still a bit pricey.

@JDR13: As I posted above, the EA specials of this week were always updated at 10:00AM PST so at the time you posted the DA sale must have already been online for a few hours (shift-reload whenever in doubt).

Anyway, I think as far as "pricey" is concerned, it depends on whether you live in the US (fairly good deals) or in Europe (completely shitty deals).

For me as a European this so called "deal" is a complete joke. As part of this so called "sale" they are selling Dragon Age for EUR 33.49 instead of the regular 49.99. - Well. Great. NOT.

I was able to buy the retail version from places like Play.com for EUR 35.49 on the day of release (which was over six months ago!) and right now Dragon Age can easily be had for EUR 19.49 from Play.com (free shipping to Euro mainland included!) so this Steam "deal" is only almost 2x as expensive as ordering a retail copy.

Secondly.... Awakening. Awakening is now selling at "only" EUR 22.49 instead of the regular EUR 29.99 on Steam. Again: Wow. Great. NOT.
I pre-ordered and thus bought Awakening on the day of release for a mere EUR 19.49 and it can now be had for EUR 15.49 (again including shipping to Euro mainland!) from Play.com.

For an Origins + Awakening bundle the Steam "deal" is EUR 47.99 which is supposed to be a 40% discount from EUR 79.98. Can you say "LOL"?
See above. You can very easily buy the bundle (separately) for < EUR 35.00 from Play.com (including shipping to just about any European destination).

It was very similar for Mass Effect here in Europe. Mass Effect 1 was very cheap at under EUR 5.00 but Mass Effect 2 was way too expensive (almost 2x like DA) compared to offerings from online retailers such as Amazon.co.uk or Play.com.

In essence this EA special week was one of those things they should have kept restricted to the US... OR they should have bothered to do some research, talk to EA and adjust the prices for Euroland. Maybe next time. Please.

Actually it turns out that I simply clicked the wrong link. :)

Yeah, not great deals by any stretch, especially considering it's the digital versions, which are worth less to me.

For me as a European this so called "deal" is a complete joke. As part of this so called "sale" they are selling Dragon Age for EUR 33.49 instead of the regular 49.99. - Well. Great. NOT.
Not sure what you see, but this in dollars is the price for the "Digital Deluxe Edition". The regular DA:O is $26.79. That would still be too expensive for you (and given my interest, for me, too ;)), but it's not quite that outrageous.

Not sure what you see, but this in dollars is the price for the "Digital Deluxe Edition". The regular DA:O is $26.79. That would still be too expensive for you (and given my interest, for me, too ;)), but it's not quite that outrageous.

It depends on location. For us it's in Dollars, but for him it's in Euros. Steam doesn't convert to match the value, so gamers in Europe get shafted.

Personally, I paid full price for DA:O and DA:A, and thought they were well worth it.

It depends on location. For us it's in Dollars, but for him it's in Euros. Steam doesn't convert to match the value, so gamers in Europe get shafted.
I know about the common 1:1 match, but I was referring to the numbers, which hint at the difference between standard and "deluxe" version of the game, and he used the higher price of the "deluxe" version in his complaint, not the lower standard version price.

Well I had only checked the amazon.de price and local shop prices and thought it was a reasonable deal, since its really the game I want to play next. The play.com deals are admittedly much better though. I never ordered from them before, but I guess I have to make sure to check them in the future.

I know about the common 1:1 match, but I was referring to the numbers, which hint at the difference between standard and "deluxe" version of the game, and he used the higher price of the "deluxe" version in his complaint, not the lower standard version price.

The regular price of the deluxe version is indeed 49.99, and it's on sale for 33.49, just as he said. He was talking about the deluxe version all along.

The regular price of the deluxe version is indeed 49.99, and it's on sale for 33.49, just as he said. He was talking about the deluxe version all along.
Was he? The version he linked and compared to at other places than Steam is the deluxe version? It doesn't say so. It looked like a comparison of apples and pears to me.

Yes, exactly, because I don't even see a vanilla DA. The only one they are offering here is the one for EUR 33.49.

Well I had only checked the amazon.de price and local shop prices and thought it was a reasonable deal, since its really the game I want to play next. The play.com deals are admittedly much better though. I never ordered from them before, but I guess I have to make sure to check them in the future.

I'd definitely recommend that. You can save a lot of money ordering from Play.com or Amazon.co.uk. (or Game.co.uk though it's very rare that they have a better deal than the former two).
Play can be a little slow when it comes to shipping (up to 15 days to Germany - but usually it's 5 - 7 days) so if you're in a hurry to get your hands on a certain title it might be better to go with Amazon (3 - 5 days).

Also you need to be aware that Play.com is shipping from one of those Jersey islands off the coast of GB. Those islands are not part of the EU and thus you theoretically have to pay an import fee + German VAT.
Sometimes in practice, too ;) . So far I've had it happen on only one order though (out of a few dozen so the chance to "get zapped" is pretty slim).

Amazon.co.uk is a little more predictable. They ship from the EU (GB mainland) so there is never an import fee of any kind and they always automatically add the German 19% VAT to any items shipped to Germany. However, if you add shipping & handling then the Amazon.co.uk price often times ends up being a little higher than Play's price so it can be more tempting to take the chance on Play's order making it through customs "undetected" (which it usually does as I said).

Yes, exactly, because I don't even see a vanilla DA. The only one they are offering here is the one for EUR 33.49.
I see. That sucks. Here they offer both, and the regular Steam version has a retail price of $39.99, reduced to $26.79 in the sale (and a few percent more off in the bundle).

Back
Top Bottom