The TV Series discussion thread

I'm a huge Ken Burns fan, to date I've watched every single thing he's been involved in, so watching his thoughts and musings on Hemingway is something I've looked forward to ever since I heard of the project. I've watched the first two episodes, and they are really good, even someone that knows Ernest inside and out will likely pick up a few nuggets of knowledge here. They literally cover almost every single aspect of his life, from the mundane to the extravagant. Each episode so far has been quite lengthy, clocking in just under two hours apiece.

I completed the Hemingway series last night, very solid show, maybe a little over five hours in total. There are lots of snippets of information that I didn't know, and plenty that was just nice to hear again, often from another perspective. I love some of his novels and others I simply don't care for, yet no one can deny his pure skills as a writer. I hear that the next Burns project is supposed to be a look at Muhammad Ali, which sounds really good.

The decade old now movie Hanna yes I did watch, it was good.
The unnecessary remake you are mentioning I refused to watch, sorry.

Similar to Joxer above, I've seen the Hanna flick and enjoyed it. I think I even watched it a second time with a friend a few years ago. I've not watched the telly version because I don't see how it could be any better.

Has anyone checked out the new iteration of Kung Fu? I'm a huge fan of the original show, but I'm extremely wary of reboots/re-imaginings these days. I'm really curious if it has any references to Kwai Chang Caine....if so I'd likely check it out, if not I'll likely just skip it.

I watched both seasons of the TV series Hannah and thought the first season was better than the second. It's worth taking a look. Kung Fu is interesting with a few well done action sequences, but so far (2 episodes) no reference to the original. Worth taking a look to see if it suits you!! :)

I watched the tv series of Hanna as well, which has no relation to the movie at all. The first season was quite OK with her coming of age, a constant sense of danger and finding out who or what she is. As that was basically done in the first season, the second felt like there was nothing new left, besides the fighting and trying to save another girl like her. I found it to be quite predictable and repetitive. It doesn’t look promising for season 3.

Halfway through Season 3 of Westworld now. I'm enjoying it well enough, but yeah, it's nowhere near the same level as the first two seasons. The only "twist" so far was somewhat disappointing to me.

I watched Deadly Class, or at least part of it. Although it did appear from the description to be another high school drama, in which I am not interested, the fact that it is about a school for killers sounded interesting.
I don't usually give up on watching shows. These days I watch them when I am exercising on our bike or treadmill, both of which are in our home. So, it is not that I get the feeling that I have wasted time by watching something less interesting as there is not much better to do anyway, while I am exercising :)

Also, sometimes shows get better after a few episodes. Anyway. I gave up after the fifth episode, the one with the drugs. I can't relate to anyone on the show and I get this annoying feeling with some of the characters especially the main character, because he especially comes across as very unrealistic. And for me becoming annoyed with characters (and it is not a character I am supposed to be annoyed with from the writing) is a clear sign that it is time to move on.

I watched Deadly Class, or at least part of it. Although it did appear from the description to be another high school drama, in which I am not interested, the fact that it is about a school for killers sounded interesting.
I don't usually give up on watching shows. These days I watch them when I am exercising on our bike or treadmill, both of which are in our home. So, it is not that I get the feeling that I have wasted time by watching something less interesting as there is not much better to do anyway, while I am exercising :)

Also, sometimes shows get better after a few episodes. Anyway. I gave up after the fifth episode, the one with the drugs. I can't relate to anyone on the show and I get this annoying feeling with some of the characters especially the main character, because he especially comes across as very unrealistic. And for me becoming annoyed with characters (and it is not a character I am supposed to be annoyed with from the writing) is a clear sign that it is time to move on.

Funny, that's exactly how I felt about Mr. Robot, although I did make it to the end of S1. I felt more sympathy for the 'villains' than the 'heroes' there.

I watched Deadly Class, or at least part of it.
...I gave up after the fifth episode, the one with the drugs.
Tastes.
I loved it and was disappointed after syfy instantly cancelled it.

I watched Deadly Class back when it was airing and it was ok, and yeah some of the episodes were extreme misses with me. The cancellation came as no real surprise.

Finished Season 3 of Westworld last night.

It had some moments, but the writing just wasn't there this time. It's almost like it was written by an entirely different team as opposed to the people who did seasons 1 & 2.

I did really like their choices of music throughout the episodes, and it gave off a cool Blade Runner like vibe at times, but overall it fell way short of the lofty expectations I had after the earlier seasons. The last episode in particular was painfully underwhelming compared to the previous season finales.

I finished the first series of Bosch the other evening, I enjoyed it a lot. A solid police drama, one I'll continue to watch. This week I'm finally getting to the end of Battlestar Galactica, I'm on series four now. It's taken me eight months, and I'm savoring every moment, it isn't easy to find this quality of telly these days.

Can't wait.

I tried watching Falcon and Winter Solider telly show, gave up after twenty minutes. I think these people are so seriously out of touch about what makes comic book characters great, to me it doesn't seem that difficult yet it rarely seems to translate to film or television shows. Honestly I still think the best Marvel adaptation I've seen so far was the Daredevil series, and that was a couple of years ago, now. The Agents of Shield and Agent Carter shows were decent thriller/spy franchises, but didn't really focus on mutants or altered humans.

As per usual, or not(?), I disagree on almost everything. ;)

Daredevil series - IMO considering it's limited budget it turned out much better than anyone could have expected, if someone didn't watch it, please do.
Agent Carter - superb and innovative take on Marvel universe, some won't like it just because it's different, but I adored every single minute of it.
The Agents of Shield - one of the most boring and annoying shows I've ever seen, somehow I've managed to watch it's first season hoping the next will be better and instead it got worse, please for sakes of your sanity, just skippit.

I actually love Falcon&WinterSoldier.
Except one utter fail.

First, it had enough money for stunts, good CGI, explosions, fire, etc.
Action parts were top notch, there was no obvious error to spot and I don't care if at slowmotion one could notice some.
Generally I love Mackie and I love Stan, here I loved their portrayal when it was about buddy buddy stuff and inner dilemmas.
Support cast did a good job, a moment some scene got ruined by amateurism does not exist.

The plot is nothing new, but that's what we expect from superhero stuff.
A hero and a former villain team up to stop some baddies.
Of course the story will show us that these baddies are not all that evil and there are more evil baddies in the world that should be stopped instead.
Typical comics material, which was a good choice.

However, instead of keeping at it, Disney decided to irritate worldwide comics fans.
Who the f decided to annoy us with - racism.
For god's sakes. I can understand it's some ongoing USA thing, but this became ridiculous. I can't remember many Hollywood movies and shows in the past couple of years that are not slamming fans with racism issues.
Yes it's serious, yes it's a problem to be talked about, yes it's something laws should deal with… But will you please stop injecting it into everything? Especially in superhero genre.

I still say the show is fun and here's hope Disney will remove the political trash from the next season.

I have a few friends who have been vocally enjoyed Invincible, so despite my general disdain for all things Robert Kirkman, I watched the first episode. Terrible. Absolutely atrocious writing wrapped around stuff we've all seen a dozen times before, capped off with
an ending that was pure shock value. Ooh, superheroes getting their heads crushed. 90% of the show is for 10 year olds, the other 10% pitched at adults who find it titillating that something for kids suddenly turns bloody.

Nod, stick with the books for Invincible. I also tried the first episode a week or two ago, it was very disappointing.

One think I abhor in any show is whinging. It's like the CW base most of their shows on it, and the moment it starts, I'm out. Seriously, I hear enough complaining in real life, when it starts happening in telly and movies, nothing is more disappointing to me. I'll clear right the heck out!

Oddly enough, I don't see it happening so much in text, for novels or books, at least not the ones I read.

Agent Carter and Daredevil are the only two shows I can even tolerate watching these days from the Marvel line. Honestly I'd re-watch these two shows than anything new that's currently being churned out by Disney/Marvel.

Back
Top Bottom