Witcher 2 Is this game hard... or what?

The Witcher 2

Thaurin

SasqWatch
I know that many people here are not that into action games, so I won't feel so embarrassed saying this. ;) I had to switch to Easy when fighting Letho in chapter 1. Boss fights in which you can't afford to make 2 mistakes and that you need to keep hitting for a solid 5-10 minutes straight in almost-perfect timing apparently just are not for me.

It's a hard game. Or was this boss fight just particularly hard?

P.S. Yes. I'm still in chapter 1 and I bought it close to release. :)

P.P.S. Reviving a dead forum from the dead win!

That one is a bit hard for TW 2, but the game is very easy overall even on hard. If you think that one is hard never try dark souls :D

D.S. you don't need to keep hitting for that long, bring some traps, and throwables and such, they'll hurt him, you're a witcher after all not only trusting in your swords.

TW2 is definitely not an easy game. Although I should mention that I've only played the original release version and not the Enhanced Edition. From what I understand, the difficulty was toned down in the EE version.

I only finished that game ones just when it came out but from what I remeber it had a bad difficulty curve, not hard in the start to easy in the endgame.

Great game though, definitely worth playing though to the end.

I only played 9 hours so far (with a couple restarts) but didn't find it too difficult before EE. After EE I thought the beginning was a little easier though.

I found you just need to keep moving, standing toe to toe trading blows was a sure recipe for disaster. Lots of rolling, get a few hits in and roll away. Also, don't get cornered and don't try to take on multiple enemies at once.(there's no group style like in witcher 1) Keeping good spacing helps a lot.

Also make liberal use of signs,potions,bombs and traps.

I'm currently about 3/4 ways through the witcher 1 then I'm going to do a complete play through of 2.

I've been a bit side tracked with Blackguards though.

I found it hard! I played it on release and gave up shortly after because of the frustrating scripted fights that you couldn't avoid. Getting cornered was fatal because you just couldn't roll out of tight spots, even if it was just a small ledge b/w you and freedom. And I recall having control issues when the heat was on, it was all very rage quit inducing.

Maybe it's better now.

I found it hard! I played it on release and gave up shortly after because of the frustrating scripted fights that you couldn't avoid. Getting cornered was fatal because you just couldn't roll out of tight spots, even if it was just a small ledge b/w you and freedom. And I recall having control issues when the heat was on, it was all very rage quit inducing.

Maybe it's better now.

Yes, getting cornered was frustrating.

I always wondered why you didn't have the ability to flip over them like you could in the first game.

For the original release, I'd say it was a challenging game.

It's hard until you learn the intricacies of the combat system, and then it becomes much easier.

I had my ass kicked repeatedly in the beginning - but towards the middle of the game, it was another story.

I played on Hard in the original release.

I don't know enough about EE to speak about the differences in difficulty.

Yes, getting cornered was frustrating.

I always wondered why you didn't have the ability to flip over them like you could in the first game.

Flipping over enemies like Bruce Lee in the first one did not make a lot of sense considering Geralt was not able to jump over a 10cm high fence in this game!

Flipping over enemies like Bruce Lee in the first one did not make a lot of sense considering Geralt was not able to jump over a 10cm high fence in this game!

That's true, I don't generally require my games to make sense though as that would ruin the expierence of most of them.

I find the battles really hard too. Somehow, i liked the battles in the first Witcher. I Hate them at the second installment

I am so surprised people think this game is hard, my biggest complaint is ( just like the first game ) that it is way way too easy even on hardest setting. In EE it is even easier. Of course the combat system and character development are not the best either, so it might not have been that much fun even if it was a bit of a challange.

Don't people want any challange in games these days? Perhaps they should just include story mode where you can't die.

Your much more hardcore and extreme when it comes to combat than probably any other player on this forum. I don't think you're in the position to make generalizations about what constitutes a challenge for other people.

I found TW2 difficulty to be very inconsistent. I played on normal and some parts were to easy and some mundane parts way to hard. Changing to Easy difficulty made the game to easy thus not challenging at all. While its a good game I still haven't bothered to finish it.

I like some challenge, but I freely admit that I have lost the art of figuring out exact tactics by trial and error to succeed in games. I'm not complaining, I just found it very hard to dodge Letho's attacks, of which three could easily down me if they connected full on with Geralt. After trying for about 20 times, I simply wanted it over with. Somehow I've lost the enjoyment of figuring out a fight and sticking with it until I succeed, over the years.

Part of it is wanting to enjoy the story and world, and not having the flow of the game be interrupted too much that I get stuck. I'm thinking of adventure games these days, where I resort to looking at a walkthrough for a solution much sooner than, say, when I was playing Space Quest. :)

I guess I wasn't properly prepared, neither, but that's how TW2 plays; if you didn't have your stuff together before the fight, got your bombs, traps, potions, etc. in order, you better load a previous save. And I rarely enjoy going back to an earlier save to replay content I've already played through.

So different play styles, I guess. I used to be pretty bad ass at Giana Sisters on the Commodore 64, which skill I attained through repeatedly playing through the same levels MANY times until I perfected them. Where has the time gone… :)

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game a lot. Something like this does not dissuade me from that. :)

I'm playing on Dark Mode now, despite what I thought before. Can't miss extra content. It's not too bad so far. Still in the prologue. And already bugs. Ugh. But the trial of fire part was ridiculous. Took a few reloads until I figured to keep Quen up for the duration. So embarrassing.

*sigh*

Anyone with a good hint for the fight with Letho in Chapter 1? I'm just using Aard on him and when he's stunned I hit him. When Vigor is out, I just try to avoid. Works ok, but he manages to hit me every now and then so I go down. :(

Back
Top Bottom