What are you reading?

I started Gardens of the Moon and decided to stop. Just can't seem to get into it after making it to part 2 of the first novel. There was always this feeling I was missing something about the setting and characters. The author filling in details retrospectively became annoying to me as did trying to follow the timeline. YMMV.

I really would like to find a fantasy series besides Game of Thrones (I have nothing against it, but the TV series removes all surprises— at least for book 1).
I had a similar struggle with Gardens. It does get better if you can manage to slog thru. I'm up to Book 5 now. I've been spacing them out a good bit because they do require more attention than most fantasy.

Currently working on Wheel of Time book 12. I didn't re-read any of the series so I'm occasionally having to find my bearings but I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly I've gotten pulled in. Between the long gap (which I made longer by deciding to wait until book 14 was out in paperback) and Sanderson stepping in, I just didn't know what to expect.

I am reading a new release 'Diet Cults' which looks at the various eating types and goes through history and stories from different people and the reality of what is needed ... great context since as a runner and blogger I spend so much time with people who are religiously Vegan, Paleo, and so on.

Kim Stanley Robinson's latest "2312" is quite amusing at the start at least. Looking forward to getting into it (but not texting on a bumpy tarmack.)

Last edited:
I had a similar struggle with Gardens. It does get better if you can manage to slog thru. I'm up to Book 5 now. I've been spacing them out a good bit because they do require more attention than most fantasy.
What dte said. Gardens was a fairly big "whaaaa?" and I felt rather indifferent towards all the characters. For a long time I didn't even know what the "Moon" was supposed to be. It's a pity that the book is such a big hurdle, but things do make a lot more sense in retrospect as tiles snap into place and you realize the incredible scope of things.

I'm following the Malazan Reading order which intermingles Esslemont's Malazan books with Erikson's. I recently finished:

Night of Knives
More personal and smaller compared to Erikson's stories; we have sort of only two main protagonists and the story takes place in Malaz City in the night in which Kellanved, Dancer and Surly did their thing. It was OK. Like Gardens it was a first effort... but it did whet my appetite for…

The Bonehunters
I'm only three chapters in and already there were major revelations. Also, while this is a direct follow up to House of Chains, it also reads a bit like an indirect follow up to Night of Knives, which is great. The books seem to be interconnected in a way that feels really natural.

Started reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline last night and was freaking up till 2 AM! I generally get up at 5:30 but I "think" I turned off the alarm and went promptly back to sleep. Woke up at 7 again which is when I'm supposed to be at work. I'm there now .... hehe

This book is freaking awesome! I am the perfect age to understand all the references in it and well its just awesome. My friend was trying to get me to read this and originally I didn't want to as I was trying to wade through the Otherworld series (which is also about VR) but this is so much better. I'm purposely not telling you much about it but its a perfect fit for everyone here.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One-A-Novel/dp/0307887448

Just get it, you will thank me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One

I also read the first 2 books in the Ex-Heroes series by Peter Clines.

Much better than I expected. Who would have expected superheroes in a zombie apocalypse to actually go together? 2nd book wasn't quite as good as the first but still a worthwhile read.

Finished Kim Stanley Robinson's "2312". If you're a fan of his Mars series read this one. It takes terraforming and odd spacer bioengeering/evolution and culture to the next level. The book starts off quite strong, and is followed by a couple of very dramatic climaxes. Recommended.

Finished Hell at the Breech by Tom Franklin, a historical fiction crime novel set during the Mitchum Beat war in the late 1800's in Alabama. Filled with despair and brutality it's what I like, sadly.

Just started The Strain in anticipation for the FX series. It is compelling thus far. It's a vampire novel that will be made into a TV show so it's fun.

Just finished James Rollins: Eye of God (Sigma Force Novel). Very good, though I can't say its my favorite of the series or anything. I do love the way he mixes history, legends and myths with action.

For more than 3 years now I've been on my holy quest to read all of the TDE novels. There are 150 and I'm currenty at 90. When I've started there have been 130. So at least I am reading faster than they publish. ;)

Now that's devotion. Tried to do the same with Star Trek, but took a prolonged break after the first three or four (canonical) books. ;)

Started reading the Belgariad. Ah, the charm of the 80s … never fails to give you a certain kind of warm and fuzzy feeling. Should have read it when I was in my teens though, when I spent my time with Midkemia and Shannara. The first book was interesting enough and light reading material.

I'm trying to decide now if I should just continue with the second Belgariad book (they aren't very big), or switch to something new from Mr. Sanderson — he's been busy in the meantime, and I have yet to read the first volume of his magnus opus to-be, the Stormlight Archive.

His first volume isn't that bad. But it is mostly setting the background and there doesn't happen all that much. It is also an easy read and page turner

I'm reading the Tales of Alvin Maker by Orson Scott Card. It's 6 books, I've read the first 5 and started the 6th. I had to double check if I had skipped a book when I started reading the 6th one, as it felt weird, like there are lots of references of things that happened after book 5, but nope. Guess the book was written like 9 years after the 5th one so it feels very different, almost as if someone else wrote it.

So, I remembered that we were supposed to get Patrick Rothfuss' next book toward the end of the year and I figured I'd see if it had shown up at B&N's website yet. I got very excited to find a new title due for release in October. That is, until I read the description. Instead of getting the conclusion to the trilogy, we're getting a companion novel based on the Auri character (the weird chick that lives in the caves under the University). That actually sounds like a decent story and Rothfuss' pathos should work well with that character, but I'm still a bit pissed about what seems to be a bit of a bait-n-switch.

Currently working on the copy of Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David. I think I might have built up too much anticipation during my years of trying to stumble on a copy of the book, but it's still been a very pleasant read so far. I already stumbled on the sequel book, but I'll be shifting back to Robert Jordan next.

Instead of getting the conclusion to the trilogy, we're getting a companion novel based on the Auri character (the weird chick that lives in the caves under the University). That actually sounds like a decent story and Rothfuss' pathos should work well with that character, but I'm still a bit pissed about what seems to be a bit of a bait-n-switch.

It's instant buy for me but I would prefer if finished Kvothe's story first.I want Day 3 ASAP.

Also I just finished Thief of time and it's one of my least favorite Discworld books.Susan and Death are always fun but main storyline and 2 main protagonist Lu Tze and Lobsang where boring.

After seeing several people comment on the book here, and two friends as well, I started reading American Gods yesterday. Totally riveting. The style reminds me of Capote, or perhaps Kerouac.

I picked up Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut a couple nights ago, actually. I was looking for that offhand, freeform minimalist style to help inspire me for a novel of my own I'm working on. I was delighted - it was exactly what I was looking for - minimalist without the gritty, filthy cynicism of Chuck Palahniuk (who - if I read him, I automatically start writing like him).

I picked up The Runelords by David Farland and Knight of the Black Rose (the Ravenloft novel) the other day at Half Price Books. But I ground to a halt when I picked up Vonnegut.

And if Arhu is still reading, finish the Belgariad, at least, if you have time! It's a classic, and one of those series you'll be glad you read! :)

Third book from Ian Macdonald in Everness Series. Solid YA steampunk. (Not really reading anything demanding at the moment as just started new research project.)
Finished these in last few days with my rating and very short editorial comments
- Soul of Fire - Caris Macrae (11/7/14) A- decent although cliched, interesting magic system
- Fluency - Jennifer Foehner Wells (12/7/14) B+ too cliched in parts
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman (13/7/14) A+ excellent

Last edited:
So, I remembered that we were supposed to get Patrick Rothfuss' next book toward the end of the year and I figured I'd see if it had shown up at B&N's website yet. I got very excited to find a new title due for release in October. That is, until I read the description. Instead of getting the conclusion to the trilogy, we're getting a companion novel based on the Auri character (the weird chick that lives in the caves under the University). That actually sounds like a decent story and Rothfuss' pathos should work well with that character, but I'm still a bit pissed about what seems to be a bit of a bait-n-switch.

Currently working on the copy of Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David. I think I might have built up too much anticipation during my years of trying to stumble on a copy of the book, but it's still been a very pleasant read so far. I already stumbled on the sequel book, but I'll be shifting back to Robert Jordan next.

As far as I am aware the 3rd book is finished but the publisher is delaying it for some reason....

Back
Top Bottom