Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - New Trailer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment released a press release with information on the retail exclusives for Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, and included a new trailer.

New trailer and Retail Exclusives Revealed

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) and Monolith Productions today revealed the Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Gameplay - Weapons and Runes video, showcasing how to upgrade Talion’s abilities throughout the game.

In addition, a number of new UK retail pre-order exclusives have been announced, with the details to be revealed in due course;

• Deadly Archer Rune
    • Talion will deal extra damage when executing ranged headshots against Sauron’s Captains
  • Flame of Arnor Rune
    • Talion can ignite his blade by achieving a high combo count and incinerate his enemies
  • Captain of the Watch / Hidden Blade Rune
    • “Captain of the Watch” character skin and the Hidden Blade Rune – Talion can deal extra damage when executing stealth attacks against Sauron’s Captains
  • Orc Slayer Rune
    • Talion will decimate Sauron’s Captains with increased damage from special attacks
All those who pre-order Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will also receive access at the game’s launch to The Dark Ranger exclusive bonus pack, per the previously announced news.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor delivers a dynamic game environment where the player orchestrates their personal plan of vengeance as they bend Mordor to their will. The game begins on the night of Sauron’s return to Mordor, as his Black Captains brutally execute the Rangers of the Black Gate. Players become Talion, a ranger who loses his family and everything he holds dear, only to be returned from death by a mysterious Spirit of vengeance. As Talion’s personal vendetta unfolds, players uncover the mystery of the Spirit that compels him, discover the origin of the Rings of Power and confront the ultimate nemesis.

The Palantir app, available on the Apple Store here, will sync with game assets and the final game, to reveal additional layers of information, insights and fan-authored content, creating a unique second-screen experience. Use it in conjunction with the new Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Gameplay - Weapons and Runes video .

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will launch worldwide on 7th October, 2014 for PlayStation®4, Xbox One, PlayStation®3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC.
More information.

The combat sure looks brutal, but, this is so far removed from Tolkien's lore that I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Too big a fan of Tolkien to enjoy this level of disrespect, I'm afraid.

Looks good to me.

It's an Action game with lite RPG. I'm not expecting anything deep, just a fun expierence.

I do think they made a mistake putting it in LOTR setting. Too many people won't be able to look past that. I did read somewhere though that the dev's said it would fit plausibly into the lore.

I don't care or know enough about Tolkien lore to know if that's true though. To me it's just another fantasy setting.

I think there's enough unexplained stuff in Tolkien's lore where this game might fit in.

Where exactly so you think it violates Tolkien's lore?

I think there's enough unexplained stuff in Tolkien's lore where this game might fit in.

Where exactly so you think it violates Tolkien's lore?

It's not strictly a lore issue - it's a tone issue.

It's not strictly a lore issue - it's a tone issue.

The gore?

I'm guessing they threw that in to attract the younger and mainstream crowd.

I must admit to enjoying a well animated and gory finishing move from time to time, although they do usually end up being very repetitive.

The gore?

I'm guessing they threw that in to attract the younger and mainstream crowd.

I must admit to enjoying a well animated and gory finishing move from time to time, although they do usually end up being very repetitive.

The gore is part of it, definitely.

I have no problem with gore or "bad-ass" action hero non-sense in general, but they should have picked another setting.

I feel the same way about the new Star Trek and Hobbit movies.

Again, I simply have too much respect for the original creators to enjoy when people exploit their work and turn out mainstream garbage for mass consumption.

The gore is part of it, definitely.

I have no problem with gore or "bad-ass" action hero non-sense in general, but they should have picked another setting.

I feel the same way about the new Star Trek and Hobbit movies.

Again, I simply have too much respect for the original creators to enjoy when people exploit their work and turn out mainstream garbage for mass consumption.

I can understand that. They definitely picked LOTR to exploit its popularity. I'm just not sure if that will help or hurt them.

There are a lot of die hard Tolkien fans out there that will be as turned off at first glance as you are.

I can understand that. They definitely picked LOTR to exploit its popularity. I'm just not sure if that will help or hurt them.

There are a lot of die hard Tolkien fans out there that will be as turned off at first glance as you are.

Nah, I don't think it will be much of an issue.

If it was, the Trek reboot and the new Hobbit movies wouldn't have been so massively successful.

Ultimately, people don't really care if the game is fun. Not saying they should - as it's all down to what you like and what you think is important.

It's not really my "respect" I suppose. It's more that I'm extremely fond of what Roddenberry and Tolkien created. I think they did something so well - and anything that doesn't respect that, will support destroying it.

So, by supporting such things, I feel I'm taking part in destroying something I love.

Yeah, this game definitely has another "spirit" than Tolkien's works. I personally don't mind this as long as there aren't major violations against the lore. That would break immersion for me.
But I guess I won't like this game anyway… too action-packed for me, although I have to admint that the first trailer shows interesting gameplay options.

got ya :)

As if the previous Hobbit movie wasn't enough of a sacrilege, now this?! Good grief, poor Prof. Tolkien must really be turning in his grave.

If you want to make an action game, fine. If you want to make a gory action game, fine. If you want to make a gory action game in a fantasy setting, fine. If you want to make a gory action game in a fantasy setting with really over-the-top stunts, spells and whatnot, fine. But do NOT place it in Middle Earth for goodness sake!! *shakes fist*

Yeah, this game definitely has another "spirit" than Tolkien's works. I personally don't mind this as long as there aren't major violations against the lore. That would break immersion for me.
But I guess I won't like this game anyway… too action-packed for me, although I have to admint that the first trailer shows interesting gameplay options.

Yep, that first trailer is what got me interested as well, especially the nemesis system which seems very unique to me. I just hope it's not just a gimmick.

I have no problem with it not fitting perfectly into Tolken lore.

Its looks fun to me. I like action games with rpg elements also.

Is this game hard copy of Assassins Creed? Is there wannabe modern stupid combat system based on one vs one "trying-so-hard-to-be-eye-candy" fighting sequences (and finishing moves) while other enemies act like idiots standing around, doing (almost) nothing and watching it like TV? Do some publishers and developers think that main purpose of combat in games is to watch gore?

This.

Back
Top Bottom