The Last of Us - 6 Hour Movie

T

Toff

After reading alot about this game I badly wanted to play it but since its a PS3 exclusive and me having an Xbox I decided to watch the movie of it. Talk about good, the story and setting are just great. Its more an interactive story than anything else.

6 hours long ... wow ... I'm just 3 hours into it and will finish it tonight after work probably. It easily kept my attention the entire time and I made myself stop watching it last night so I could make it to work this morning.

Don't watch it if you have a PS3 and plan on getting the game eventually but for the rest of us ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZkLPKd-Vs8g

Thanks for the link! I've been interested in what it's all about ever since I caught the review on NMA. But no PS3...

I finished this movie on Friday. It was very good, totally worth watching if you can't get the game to play it.

Is it available anywhere else except youtube?
I just cba to go youtube 6 hours.

Its a movie of the game. The game has a great story and tons of cutscenes.

I'm not aware of it being anywhere else but youtube but I could be wrong.

Okay I'll check their official forum, it's possible someone uploaded it somewhere else.

Yea well some but not "last of us" want to buy consoles. ;)

I keep hearing about The Last of Us everywhere I go, and the review scores are universally high from critics and gamers alike. I almost never buy a console title this soon after release, but I'm seriously thinking of putting my backlog on hold and getting this.

Yeah, although I rarely use it lately. I think the only time I've turned it on in the last 6 months was to play Dark Souls.

At least I've used it though. Unlike my Wii which I still haven't unboxed since I moved to Florida over a year ago. :)

The game looks like a great cinematic ride - but I doubt it's much of a game, really. Then again, I never cared for the Uncharted games. Super derivative shooting, shooting and more shooting.

In fact, it might be just the thing for JDR ;)

To be honest, I'm a gameplay over story guy, and I think I'm going to hold off getting this after reading some more reviews. I've also been watching some gameplay footage on YouTube. I think a lot of reviewers might be scoring this based on the story and characters while ignoring what seems to be somewhat shallow gameplay.

I'm starting to smell some Bioshock Infinite type hyperbole here.

A good review by Tom Chick. -> http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/06/12/the-last-of-us-has-real-heart-but-not-much-else/

Ugh, I can't stand Tom Chick… He's about sensationalism and attention more often than not - and his reviews are knee-jerk and overly emotional - especially when it comes to high-profile titles. He recently gave Company of Heroes 2 a 1 star review - which is just utterly stupid. He also gave Halo 4 (IIRC) a 1 star review - and while the game might not be a miracle - it's not a 1 star game by any stretch of imagination.

He's part of Metacritic and he knows it. He deliberately goes against the grain to get attention to his little site and… Well, let's just say I'm none too fond of that guy.

He also hated Deus Ex ;)

That said, sometimes he's ok - and I find that underdog titles and low-key releases tend to get a more balanced review. Last of Us could be a rare exception.

But I don't need a review to understand what that game is about. It's clearly a "cinematic ride" - and gameplay is secondary.

Bioshock Infinite had great gameplay - but the shooter gameplay was middling to decent. The core gameplay was about exploration and that aspect of the game was beyond pretty much everything else out there.

The gameplay in Bioshock Infinite was far from great, and I'm confused how anyone could try to claim that such a linear game was about exploration. It was a standard shooter with a few neat tricks wrapped around a very memorable story.

It's no secret that you're enamoured with it though, so maybe you should give The Last of Us a try. They seem somewhat similar in the story > gameplay aspect. :)

The gameplay in Bioshock Infinite was far from great, and I'm confused how anyone could try to claim that such a linear game was about exploration. It was a standard shooter with a few neat tricks wrapped around a very memorable story.

Linearity has nothing to do with exploration being weak. Good exploration is about being rewarded for exploring every nook and cranny - rather than just following a straight path.

Non-linearity doesn't mean exploration is necessarily good either - which is extremely evident if you've played games like Two Worlds or Oblivion - where you hardly ever come upon something truly unique or worthwhile. At least not after you've seen a handful of dungeons.

Someone with your experience in gaming should realise that.

If you explore in Bioshock Infinite - you'll find plenty of secrets - and the attention to detail is extremely impressive. You can easily miss out on a ton of detail by ignoring the optional rooms and areas.

If you don't enjoy exploration - then I understand you might not find it great. But if you're capable of being just a little objective, you should be able to understand how fans of exploration could enjoy something like that. Bioshock was also quite rewarding in that same way.

It's no secret that you're enamoured with it though, so maybe you should give The Last of Us a try. They seem somewhat similar in the story > gameplay aspect. :)

It's true that the story in Infinite was fantastic - and IIRC, you greatly enjoyed it as well.

I know you prefer shooting things as much as possible, but it seems you have the potential to understand how it's not everything ;)

Indeed, Last of Us doesn't seem to be about shooting things over and over - so maybe the story is worth a shot.

It would depend on the writing and the exploration. Infinite had fantastic writing and exploration - and I found the shooting to be quite good, even if I'm not a fan.

So I have no intention of ruling out playing Last of Us. You seem to be quite keen on trying it as well?

Linearity has nothing to do with exploration being weak. Good exploration is about being rewarded for exploring every nook and cranny - rather than just following a straight path.

Non-linearity doesn't mean exploration is necessarily good either - which is extremely evident if you've played games like Two Worlds or Oblivion - where you hardly ever come upon something truly unique or worthwhile. At least not after you've seen a handful of dungeons.

Someone with your experience in gaming should realise that.

If you explore in Bioshock Infinite - you'll find plenty of secrets - and the attention to detail is extremely impressive. You can easily miss out on a ton of detail by ignoring the optional rooms and areas.

If you don't enjoy exploration - then I understand you might not find it great. But if you're capable of being just a little objective, you should be able to understand how fans of exploration could enjoy something like that. Bioshock was also quite rewarding in that same way.

Sure it had things to "find", but they required very little effort to do so. I tend to be a very thorough gamer which is why my playtime for most games is usually higher than the norm, and Bioshock Infinite didn't have much in the way of hidden goodies. And by "hidden", I don't mean simply looking around and seeing that other corridor you can go down.

I think we simply have different concepts of what constitutes great exploration.

It's true that the story in Infinite was fantastic - and IIRC, you greatly enjoyed it as well.

I know you prefer shooting things as much as possible, but it seems you have the potential to understand how it's not everything ;)

You don't seem to know as much as you think you do, but that's nothing new. ;)

If combat is good, I enjoy it. If it's not done well, then it takes away from the overall experience for me.

The Bioshocks, and even the System Shock games as well, were all about "shooting things" to a large degree. They had fantastic stories and level design for the most part, but when you really think about it, you spent more time in combat or preparing for it than anything else.

As far as TLoU is concerned, I might give it a shot later on, but I'm not getting the feeling that it's more worthy than a lot of other games I currently have my sights set on.

Sure it had things to "find", but they required very little effort to do so. I tend to be a very thorough gamer which is why my playtime is usually higher than the norm, and Bioshock Infinite didn't have much in the way of hidden goodies. And by "hidden", I don't mean simply looking around and seeing that other corridor you can go down.

I think we simply have different concepts of what constitutes great exploration.

Well, in Bioshock Infinite - you had several optional and secret areas that required paying attention - like using the right spell, finding a code, backtracking to some chest, and gathering lockpicks - etc.

Ok, so maybe it wasn't particularly hard - but then again, almost no games are hard in that way.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're looking for, but it's obvious that we have different ways of looking at great exploration.

I do enjoy all kinds of exploration - and in games like Fallout 3, I enjoy the sensation of finding something because I went off exploring.

But if you think about it, it's basically the same thing. You don't follow a straight path and you do what you can to find what's not immediately obvious.

Fallout 3 just has a LOT more areas to find - but most of those areas feel quite similar. Bioshock Infinite has SO much detail to the levels - and that's what impressed me so much.

You don't seem to know as much as you think you do, but that's nothing new. ;)

I'm just kidding around with you - as you are with me. At least, I hope you're not being serious.

The Bioshocks, and even the System Shock games as well, were all about "shooting things" to a large degree. They had fantastic stories and level design for the most part, but when you really think about it, you spent more time in combat or preparing for it than anything else.

Well, I never cared for shooting in those games. I consider shooting in the Shock games to be sort of a concession to traditional gameplay because they have to fill out the void with something - but I've never found System Shock or System Shock 2 to be about shooting. Just like I don't find Deus Ex to be about shooting or killing people. I find it to be about exploration as well.

The exception being Bioshock and Bioshock 2 - both of which seemed to emphasize the shooting over everything else, which is why I didn't enjoy those games all that much.

Bioshock Infinite has much more shooting than I'd prefer, but I found the feel to be very superior - and I'm a big fan of long range stuff, as I find it becomes more cerebral and tactical, rather than frantic and chaotic.

As far as TLoU is concerned, I might give it a shot later on, but I'm not getting the feeling that it's more worthy than a lot of other games I currently have my sights set on.

I think we agree on that. It seems pretty run of the mill to me - and I find "end of days" scenarios pretty boring these days. Overdone, if you will.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I simply prefer a more open world when it comes to exploration. Bioshock Infinite isn't really linear, but it doesn't stray from the same corridor style exploration that Bioshock 1&2 used. Most of the "optional" paths are in plain site and are also quite short.

I'm not implying that all open-world games have superior exploration of course. There still has to be meaningful content to make it worthwhile.

But if you think about it, it's basically the same thing. You don't follow a straight path and you do what you can to find what's not immediately obvious.

That's just it though.. you do follow mostly straight paths in BI. Instead of being able to go off in any direction, you're mostly herded in one particular direction or another.

I'm just kidding around with you - as you are with me. At least, I hope you're not being serious.

About as serious as a Chuck Norris film.

So no, not very serious. :)

Back
Top Bottom