Bard's Tale IV - Character Creation Video

Looks quite cool actually. Well, not the options you have, can't really judge them yet. But I like the interface a lot which reminds me of Pillars of Eternity in it's cleanness and richness of information.
The stuttering when each new model is loaded is a bit concerning. As long as thats just in the character creation its ok, but let's see how good the actual game runs.

I think I've just been spoiled by Deadfire, which has the best character creation I've ever seen. This is simple in comparison. 4 generic classes and tiny skill trees. No options for subclasses or multiclassing. Even Wasteland and Numenera were more exciting.

Not all games are going for the same thing.

Bard's Tale was never very complex when it comes to character creation.

This looks quite a bit more advanced than any of the past games in that way, in fact.

I'm not a fan of the old games, but they had more classes and races. This has a skill tree, but its design looks very streamlined and basic. Considering you have up to 6 party members, you could probably experiment with the entire system in one playthrough.

I'm not a fan of the old games, but they had more classes and races. This has a skill tree, but its design looks very streamlined and basic. Considering you have up to 6 party members, you could probably experiment with the entire system in one playthrough.

Sure, if more classes and races with fewer and less distinct skills and powers is your preference, then that's better.

I personally vastly prefer having ways to customize my character - with what looks like unique skills and powers to choose from.

As for how many playthroughs we need to experience them all, that's impossible to say until we know how many skills you can acquire with each character.

Based on that video, we can mix and match between at least 4 skills trees - which could very well mean several playthroughs for each combination - for each class.

Then again, I don't quite have your psychic ability to predict how games play or how successful they will be before release.

Translation: "It's not PoE II, therefore it can't possibly be any good". ;)

InExile is supposed to be an oldschool CRPG developer, so when the character building looks shallower than Skyrim and Mass Effect, I'm going to be disappointed.

Translation: "I don't understand Bard's Tale or the audience they're going for - but I still expect something completely different and will be disappointed if it's not that."

Bards Tale III came out in 1988. I didn't know what to expect, but definitely not something this basic and streamlined from InExile. So yeah, I'm disappointed.

That's fair enough, to each his own.

FWIW, I'm not very excited about it either, but that's more about the art style and the strangely annoying UI.

Also, I ultimately didn't think Wasteland 2 was as good as it should have been, so I guess I don't really have much reason to trust this will be any different.

The devs farked it up again: if they can do 3D characters, why are stupid lame 2D junk characters are sitting on the battle screen? If I'll want to have a good laugh, I'll open one of BT4 videos, otherwise:

A V O I D W A R E

It is difficult to judge how the sum of little parts will come together to form the full experience. Having said that I liked what I see in this video and don't quite understand the complaints. The only thing I dislike so far is the hud for the game takes too much space blocking the view.

Ok, I am going to play the adorable meth addict, err ... Elf. I meant to say Elf.

Yeah, some of those look strange. But, some of them are fine and we'll mostly see their backs, so who cares.

The devs farked it up again: if they can do 3D characters, why are stupid lame 2D junk characters are sitting on the battle screen? If I'll want to have a good laugh, I'll open one of BT4 videos, otherwise:

A V O I D W A R E

I love 2D games. Playing Fantasy General and Battle Brothers right now. You don't want to know how many hours of pure awesomeness 2D games have given me.

Also, Wasteland 2 ate mercy's baby.

Didn't they talk about advanced classes or prestige classes or something similar that you can specialize your character into later?

It's a blobber with more than a shoestring budget - I'm content and will hold my final judgment until after I play. Might and Magic was pretty simplistic as well from a customization perspective and yet it was loved the world over.

Didn't they talk about advanced classes or prestige classes or something similar that you can specialize your character into later?

Yes, people just like to watch the first 10 seconds of a video and complain is all. RPGWatch has more and more in common with the Codex these days.

Back
Top Bottom