RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Interesting links for gamers (Indie games, Abandonware, Mods)
View Single Post

August 17th, 2019, 22:46
Originally Posted by you View Post
Well selling a game (should) require supporting the game. You can decide not to sell it this year but then sell it next year - of course if people snatch it then you will likely make less money next year when you do sell it.
-
Also more frequently the ip gets tied up in various way making it difficult to sell. I think we should call it what it is and not pretend it isn't (theft).
Well, I don’t accept the idea of any piracy as theft in general. Some of these anti-piracy adverts say things like, “You wouldn’t steal an old lady’s handbag, so why do you download something without paying for it?” I think that’s preposterous – stealing a lady’s purse and torrenting an episode of South Park are categorically different things. The former deprives a person of property, the latter is essentially a licencing violation. I think that civilised people understand that paying for software or media licences is important to keep those folks in business and reward their work, but there’s no way I’d accept that downloading a piece of software that’s no longer on the market is “theft”.

I take your point about things coming back to market in certain circumstances, in which case I’d pay for something I’d acquired, but I wouldn’t feel too bad about getting hold of it by sharing if that was the only way at a given time. I certainly don’t think I’d be in with the purse-snatchers.
--
"An era can be considered over when its basic illusions have been exhausted." Arthur Miller

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)