RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Impressions
View Single Post

October 29th, 2020, 11:11
I wasn't going to mess with the EA, but my curiosity got the best of me, and I wanted more 5E after playing the Solasta EA. I played a few hours last night. Got the first 3 companions, and I'm about to enter some old crypt or temple.

The visuals and presentation are excellent. Music so far is good too. Some of the background ambient sounds are super familiar though. There's a piece of bird song that I could swear was ripped from Gothic.

After playing Solasta, this feels mainstream by comparison. Nothing too egregious, but there are some things I don't like. For example, not having ammo for ranged weapons. I'm guessing they just wanted to cut back on how much players would need to micromanage, but every ranged weapon magically creating an unlimited supply of ammo doesn't sit well with me in a D&D game. The rest/camp system seems kind of simple to me as well, but that's to be expected.

I like the opening sequence on the nautaloid ship. I was reminded of Jon Irenicus's dungeon in some ways. Waking up in a strange place with a lot weirdness going on and cool things to see.

Companions are a mixed bag. I like the half-elf cleric, but I can't stand the elven rogue. Not sure about the wizard yet.

I don't quite get the turn system they're using. Everyone rolls for initiative at the start of combat, but some characters are grouped together?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)