The Soulkeeper - Early Access Teaser

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted that Road to VR is showing some Soulkeeper gameplay on their site:

Preview: Visually Dazzling VR RPG ‘The SoulKeeper VR’ Plans For a Full Story With Deep Lore

VR gamers have longed heavily for deeper titles that go beyond the surface-level experiences that make up a large portion of today’s VR content. They’ve longed for games with depth and complexity; developer HELM Systems plan to offer exactly that with The SoulKeeper VR, a forthcoming action adventure VR RPG for Vive and Rift with spell casting. The developers have shared new details with Road to VR leading up to the game’s release in Early Access on SteamVR this Spring.

I got my hands on the latest build of the The SoulKeeper VR (teaser video heading this article) which was frankly still a little rough around the edges, though Helm Systems tells us that their new workforce is progressing steadily with improvements on the path to the launch.

[...]

More information.

VR + Dragons = $$$$

I don't get VR, who would trade 4 hours or more, sitting and playing your favorite RPG to be forced to stand up and dance around for 4 hours (if that's even physically possible).

And as much as I love Chris Avalone, wth is he thinking when he says, "he's trying to work out a way to track eye movement in conversation to measure interest". Someone needs to slap the 'ridiculous' out of that guy. Cause that's what we all want, to fail a RPG conversation because we: jump up, to stop something burning on the stove, or feed the baby or go to the bathroom or check the time in the freaking RW. :shakefist:

I don't get VR, who would trade 4 hours or more, sitting and playing your favorite RPG to be forced to stand up and dance around for 4 hours (if that's even physically possible).
Well it may strike you as surprising but not all people plays 4 hours straight in a single session (actually I'd be surprised if the percentage who does, considering the whole gaming demographicsm would be relevant at all).

So no, probably for those people it won't be interesting but for the rest it most likely will. I don't think VR is going to replace the ussual gaming anyway (at least not in the short-mid term), but it will be just another option and a different gaming experience that will be available for us.

I personally would like even more inmersion, like this https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-naturally-in-your-favorite-game/description in regular games. Imagine running the world of The Witcher 3 using this stuff, how fit we would all be! :biggrin:

Since this is a RPG site, yes it would surprise me most people here don't play at least 1 day a week, for 4 hours. Most classic RPGs are 30 hours and many clocking longer. Not to mention mmogs, which players often log 100s of hours. I don't know how the math would add up, 30 gameplay sessions of 1 hour just to finish one RPG?

Fit? You want to get fit go outside and run in a circle, sounds like you have plenty of time, in between gaming sessions. ;)

Since this is a RPG site, yes it would surprise me most people here don't play at least 1 day a week, for 4 hours. Most classic RPGs are 30 hours and many clocking longer. Not to mention mmogs, which players often log 100s of hours. I don't know how the math would add up, 30 gameplay sessions of 1 hour just to finish one RPG?

Fit? You want to get fit go outside and run in a circle, sounds like you have plenty of time, in between gaming sessions. ;)

You know who doesn't get VR, people that haven tried it. I didn't get it either, but I have since tried it and I get it now. The worst VR is more immersive than the best RPG on a monitor, imo.

Just going through a desk, actually reaching out and pulling a drawer out instead of clicking on a drawer is pretty amazing. Having a guy yelling in your face from just a foot away instead of through a monitor screen, Opening a car door, sticking your head out , looking back and shooting at people in a car chase instead of just clicking a mouse and watching on screen is a whole new experience. One that can't really be conveyed with words. You need to experience it to really get it.

Also a vast majority of VR can be played just sitting down. AFAIK only the vive give you the ability to move around the room while you play. So no, you wouldn't be jumping around for 4 hours.

Now I'll admit they have quite a bit to work out before the game mechanics catch up to the immersion but for now the immersion is pretty amazing.

I get your point and it's not I don't get the immersive value, it's the constant physicality. Good news, if your saying it's not all physical and much can be done with mouse and keyboard.

Then why isn't there a 'use/pickup' button doing all the normal animations for non-VR gamers? All they would need to do, is have a choice to make a minimum of 10x more money. As it stands now, they are trying to force it on everyone like m$ did with console gaming.

World isn't this site you know ;)
No idea what point your trying to make or how it relates to the topic and I don't really feel like guessing. ;)

Just that even though members of this site will probably spend long gaming sessions with their favourite RPGs (or games in general), there is a big world of gamers out there who don't, and can find the idea of standing for one hour during a VR gaming session quite appealing, which was my point in my first post to beging with.

Back
Top Bottom