Divinity: Original Sin II - Available on iPad

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
It certainly will not be interesting news for all, but for those who play RPGs on their iPad, know that Divinity Original Sin II is now also available on it. You do need some 13GB of free space to be able to play it and a fairly recent iPad as well.

The video below announces the game and shows it being played using a controller, but obviously it can be played with touch.

Toucharcade had a look at it.

The touch controls scale well and feel very good to use. In fact, I prefer the touch interface over using a controller despite the game feeling great on a controller as well. With touch, the hotbar icons are larger, touch targets on menus are larger, and you have the ability to pan and pinch anywhere on the screen to change the camera. The in-game tooltips do a great job of getting you accustomed to the controls if you've never played the game before as well. In fact, I liked the tutorial section in the beginning a lot and experiencing it with different control options was interesting to see with how the interface scales.

Speaking of co-op play, I was very impressed with how well Divinity: Original Sin 2 runs in splitscreen. It controls really well and the interface scales well. Splitscreen co-op is something not possible on the Nintendo Switch version. The new touch options, support for basically every input method, and support for co-op play on the go definitely make Divinity: Original Sin 2 on iPad one of the best ways you can play this. It even loads much quicker than the PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One X versions in my testing. Visually, it does look like a few aspects have been turned down a bit compared to the PC version on my laptop with everything maxed out but overall Divinity: Original Sin 2 looks brilliant and way better than I expected on my iPad.
More information.

I think it's good news. Even though I don't play on IPad (or even own one), I think it's good if more people discover complex RPGs.

I think it's good news. Even though I don't play on IPad (or even own one), I think it's good if more people discover complex RPGs.

Absolutely agree …

Of course, most people buying it will be like me - who already has it on PC, Mac and Nintendo Switch. The Switch version is a huge compromise, so I am grabbing the iPad version for ‘on the go’ replay.

It is cool too that it not only supports controller, but also supports full keyboard & mouse - so if you have the ‘magic keyboard’ that includes a trackpad, you have pretty much the full PC experience (from what I have read)

Dang it, it won't run on my "ancient" 1.5 year-old iPad. It has the space but has the Warthog chip.

Yeah, let the Apple people pay for Baldur's Gate IV development! :D

Absolutely agree …

Of course, most people buying it will be like me - who already has it on PC, Mac and Nintendo Switch. The Switch version is a huge compromise, so I am grabbing the iPad version for ‘on the go’ replay.

It is cool too that it not only supports controller, but also supports full keyboard & mouse - so if you have the ‘magic keyboard’ that includes a trackpad, you have pretty much the full PC experience (from what I have read)
From the weird characters, it looks like you typed that text on an iPad :)

From the weird characters, it looks like you typed that text on an iPad :)

:D

Absolutely - not one that can run D:OS2 (I have 2017 iPad Pro now, new one coming this weekend), but still use it for most things.

Unfortunately iOS is not using the ' character as the default one and our forum doesn't like the default one that iOS uses.

I switched recently to the new 11 inch iPad Air, so it should be able to run the game. Now I only need a time module that gives me more hours in a day to find the time for that :)

Typing this on my iPhone 12 using an ‘external Apple keyboard’ … just wanted to see if the ‘quotes’ are handled differently.

I am excited about checking out this port - as noted, the Switch version performs well but the graphics are pretty sub-par. I have the M1 MacBook Air (incredible performance) but use that for other stuff … would love to get a solid replay going!

Turn-based ports are a natural fit for mobile/tablet.
Others not so much or require a serious rework.

Typing this on my iPhone 12 using an ‘external Apple keyboard’ … just wanted to see if the ‘quotes’ are handled differently.

I am excited about checking out this port - as noted, the Switch version performs well but the graphics are pretty sub-par. I have the M1 MacBook Air (incredible performance) but use that for other stuff … would love to get a solid replay going!
It seems like the newer iPhone is forum friendlier, cause your post was very much legible :)

1 good game on a smartphone/pad. Hooray!

1 good game on a smartphone/pad. Hooray!

There is also the complete Civ 6, XCOM, BG 1 / 2 / IWD / PS:T, KotOR 1 & 2, Spiderweb games, Grimrock, NWN, and a few others I’m sure I am forgetting.

But in terms of getting a full, modern game … true enough.

Back
Top Bottom