Rhode Island gov working hard at 'keeping 38 Studios solvent'

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I don't know if this is good news or bad news as I thought Reckoning sold pretty well. I do know I haven't played the game since the first week it came out.

Reckoning, indeed! A developing story out of Rhode Island has Governor Lincoln Chafee talking in uncertain terms about the financial condition of Curt Schilling's 38 Studios, which the state gave a controversial $75 million loan to a couple years back to move down to Providence.

The Providence Journal reports Gov. Chafee, who was against the loan during his election, spent a "weekend of work on this subject," but wouldn't go into specifics. "We're doing everything possible, like I would for any Rhode Island company," he said this afternoon. The Journal reports he added the work was about "keeping 38 Studios solvent."

"We're concerned and just doing everything possible to ensure that 38 Studios stays part of the Rhode Island community," Governor Chafee told WPRI.com. "We're working on different issues with them." Asked if 38 Studios' issues could be resolved, Chafee said, "We're working on it."

38 Studios' "Project Copernicus" MMO has been in development at the Rhode Island studio. The studio has no booth planned for E3 and has given no indications as yet to have a product planned for this year.

Link-http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/14/rhode-island-gov-working-hard-at-keeping-38-studios-solvent/

Calls placed to 38 Studios on Monday were not returned.

Keith Stokes, executive director of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corp., had no comment.

In February, the company released the single-player role-playing game "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning."

According to the NPD Group, 410,000 copies have been sold since its release. The figures represent sales in the U.S. across Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC versions of the title.

Last edited:
MMOs are expensive. And when a singleplayer game that precedes an MMO w/ likely similar shoddy, tedious, and boring design elements doesn't do so hot, the financiers start running.

but a single person may find it good enough and purchase it.
400,000 in fact. Not a bad start, but they still lost money due to mismanagement.

Not to be missed.

Back
Top Bottom