Icewind Dale - classic or NWN2 mod?

bizorker

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor
Taking a Witcher 3 break (before I play the expansions) and feeling in the mode for some D&D - CRPG style. Given the lack of anything new in this genre that's worth playing, I am forced to go to the archives. I've never played the classic Icewind Dale. I purchased the enhanced version from Beamdog, but then I discovered an Icewind Dale mod for NWN2. The graphics of the classic look so dated, but I have no idea how the mod plays, and NWN2 has gotten long in the tooth as well. So…for those who have experienced both, would you suggest I play the remastered classic version or the NWN2 mod?

Ermm....Beamdog's remasters are notoriously buggy. Try and play the Black Isle IWD classic, with IWD2 added in the mix (this is an odd one, as it mixes two D&D editions, but, at the same time, has the better story). The NWN2 mods tend to be unfinished, especially when it comes to porting the older Bioware/Black Isle games. Would stay away of Beamdog's remasters for now. They had a stable release with an older patch, but they've managed to frag it when they've decided to change the UI and some gameplay mechanics.

Don't listen to wolfsrain expect for the NWN2 mod part. The IWD EE doesn't have the new UI yet and you already own the EE version anyway.

IWD: EE is great. I played through it three times or so after it launched. The most fun was probably a solo F/M/C. It's a bit hard in the start, but quickly becomes easier than regular parties.

I played through the EE version of IWD without issue about a year or so ago. Now they may have borked things in a more recent patch, but at least at that point, it wasn't any buggier than the original, and I hit nothing which crashed the game or prevented me from playing.

I've never flayed the NWN2 mod, so someone else can comment on that.

My dad and I played Icewind Dale: EE recently and had a great time. I would recommend it but we played the Android version, so not sure about the PC version.

Just in case you want to go retro NWN there's a NWN1 version of IWD too which I've played and it worked ok. I've yet to play the original so no idea how it stacks up.

:p

For me, I'd take classic every time. I find the well-drawn 2d graphics of the Infinity Engine to have fared much better than aging 3d. The advantage of the 3d NWN engines was their flexibility for modders, but for a remake of an Infinity game, I'd say its a poor choice.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems the original is the best bet given I've already purchased it. Hard to believe no one has delivered a quality D&D title since NWN2. Seems crazy.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems the original is the best bet given I've already purchased it. Hard to believe no one has delivered a quality D&D title since NWN2. Seems crazy.

True, though there are rumors Beamdog is working on something.

True, though there are rumors Beamdog is working on something.

Can't say i am thrilled with what Beamdog is doing. They had a stable version for the both BG games and IWD and they've managed to frag it when they've started the 2.0 patches...And somehow they don't seem to get their stuff to work properly. They solve a few problems and are breaking a lot more stuff in the process.

I wanted them to succeed in reviving the D&D interest, but so far they are not doing a stellar job. They should hire some serious professionals if they want to continue to revive the franchise. But being some small company....i doubt that they can hire experimented people. I have all three Enhanced Editions, minus that BG expansion, which i doubt that i will buy it anytime soon (reasons: the game is using characters from the base game, but BG2 won't make any reference to the events from the new expansion and Beamdog isn't allowed to modify the original games so drastically in ways that would reflect the events from the new expansion; also lots of gameplay problems, so i prefer to wait for a stable build)

Back
Top Bottom