Space Hulk - Release Date and Pre-Orders

It doesn't have to work better, it is an option that works. It isn't here to replace the computer it is just another way to enjoy games. But hey if you are going to throw out absolutes and nothing else then go ahead.

The main limitation of my IPad is still the screen size, even though the retina screen is pretty amazing for the size. Many of the more sedate games I play don't need mouse/keyboard and would be fine on IPad if it were not for that. Tablets have got to be a good option if you are away from home a lot and have dull friends and they are great for running manuals/wikis whilst gaming on a PC.

Actually you would be surprised with just how good board games translate to tablets. Basically anything with a hex based system is very easy to use on there. There is absolutely no reason a lot of rpg's can't be played on them, would be great to see a lot of the older ones optimized for it. Screen size doesn't really bother me as it is a portable medium and not meant as a pc style game.

Board games are what I would consider the biggest strength of tablet gaming. They are designed to be played through the simple movement of pieces around, and not through the use of complicated menus or hotkeys. As a result a touch screen interface is the perfect interface for them. I would choose my Ipad over my PC any day for a digital board game.

Given that Space Hulk is a board game, it would be completely foolish not to make it for the one platform which excels at board games.

It's somewhat sad for me. I'm an older gamer (45) and have been playing PC games since PC games existed and I've always said that I would never stop playing video games, but with MMOs continually getting more and more dumbed down and F2P being an abomination, and with so many PC games being weakened by console first or tablet design influences, the "PC gaming" industry itself might drive me away. I just have no interest in pay to win styles or ultra dumbed down/simplistic games.

Don't think you need to worry. Sure there are a lot of dumbed down games on PC, but it looks like there is going to be a bit of a resurgence in traditional PC games too.

You are from london and have no idea what space hulk is? I'm reading that post like you are basically saying it's junk. Impressive.

He can. The number one place for miniatures gaming in England is Nottingham, not London. That is where you want to go when you want to play miniatures games and want to meet fellow gamers.

I play the tabletop wargame (in fact assembling 3 drop pods right now between posts) and I've been disappointed that everything that seems to be done for 40K videogame-wise has been real-time and not turn-based.
Beside the universe, Space Hulk has so little to do with W40K. In one, you are given a solid ruleset that allow strategy and planning, has up to date game mechanics like fog of war etc giving usually tense battles, in the other, you are given a game based on chance more and ever more every new edition.
Think about what a great racket Games Workshop, the makers of Warhammer 40K have. They pour plastic in a mold, then throw it in a box and ship it. No painting, no assembly, their customers really do all the hard work. And they still get to charge an arm-and-a-leg for their products!

GW provides some of the cheapest minis on the market (for sci fi/fantasy settings) The practice of miniature gaming is just expensive.

On the other thing, usually, two dimensions in miniatures gaming: you can paint minis and/or play games with them. They cater to both audiences: painters and gamers. If they didnt, the minis would be even more expensive.

He can. The number one place for miniatures gaming in England is Nottingham, not London. That is where you want to go when you want to play miniatures games and want to meet fellow gamers.

True, for all I think my neighbouring city is a dump ;) Of course, not sure my parents were all too happy for me to be around there at night at the end of an evenings session, aged 12 or so :p

I bet you've never heard or played Rites of war. IMHO that one was the best W40K ever done.

Actually no, that one must have slipped under my radar. Which is weird because I platyed alot more games back then than I do now (because of lack of time, not interest…).

It sounds intriguing, and you play as my favourites (The Eldar), so I'll see if I can remedy my unexperience with the game. Doesn't seem to be sold anymore, so I guess I'll go with pirating, although it's not my way to go if I can choose.

…downloading now, looks great. A bit like Fantasy general right?

One of the reasons I prefer 40k to The Fantasy version is the Eldar, they're dark, scary, and cool as hell. The Elves in the Warhammer Fantasy universe are just…well, standard high fantasy elves. A bit boring no? Thanks for the tip Gloo.

…downloading now, looks great. A bit like Fantasy general right?
Right ! It's actually based on the Five stars engine used to propel the Panzer General series. Most mechanics are similar but as the series evolved they introduced refined features and IMHO Rites of war was the pinacle of the development (Star general should've been but you know…).

Thanks for the tip Gloo.
My pleasure ! Hope you'll appreciate the game. If you happen to encounter any problem with the abandonware version you'll be presumably using then let me know as I may help for I own the original boxed version of this gem and it would be a pleasure to provide my personal support for it. For those wondering, it's a game released by SSI back in the year 1999. It's turn based and a mix between strategy and tactical battles. It also had a gorgeous art box and a real paper manual !

Attachments

• Rites of war.jpg
    Rites of war.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 13
I tried it for a while but sadly I just can't seem to get into the game. Which is a bit weird since I did like Fantasy Wars and Elven legacy, and the earlier Fantasy General based on the same mechanics. If I had found this game back in -99 I would have probably loved it, but sadly not today.

Part of the problem is that this is not Warhammer 40k made into a PC game, it's a PC game (Panzer General) with the name and looks of 40k units, but not the mechanics. Thanks anyway Gloo, it was worth a shot. (And like I said, had I played it back then I would probably have been a lot more forgiving.)

This one time, I have to go with rune_74's boundless optimism re: tablet functionality. :) Read RPS's comprehensive interview series with the developer if you want to know more about the actual game instead of the one in your imagination.

Back
Top Bottom