TES Morrowind VS Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls: Other games and info
A quick note about how Morrowind works, from my memory, although its been a while since I modded it and knew all these things by heart.
Yes, Morrowind uses scaling, but differently and not across the bench. Most "random" monsters in dungeons and wilderness are generated from levelled lists, where minimum player level and a probability factor will decide what you encounter (these are the famous "Ninja Monkeys" you can see in the editor). However there are also a lot of monsters that were placed that were not from lists. Cliff racer e.g. (unfortunately!).
Wether a monster resurrects is governed by a simple flag in the editor. Wther this is the case for dungeon monsters, I would have to check.
However in contrast to Oblivion, the stats and equipment of NPCs did NOT scale, and the general variability of difficulty among encountered monsters was larger (e.g. Daedric shrines were dangerous in the beginning, despite having leveled monsters). Thats the main difference. A majority of loot was also from leveled lists in Morrowind, this hasn't changed much, but it seems that again, less unique/non-levelled items were placed in Oblivion.

That makes sense. I cant make much sense of the "respawn" flag in the editor though, as it seems to be tied to the "global" monster entries, and I cant figure out how to see it for individual monster instances (nor for the ninja monkeys):)

EDIT: Looking at the editor it seems like non-respawning Andrano tomb has specified enemies (individual creatures) while Tharys tomb has levelled ninja monkeys. Given that I couldnt find any enemies with the respawn flag set in my quick browse, could it be that the only the list monsters respawn? Btw, most of the cliffracers are from lists containing "cliffracer, cliffracer, cliffracer, diseased cliffracer, blighted cliffracer" from what I can see. Truly diabolical:p

I have been to dozens of caves\tombs\dungeons more than once, and they definitely do not respawn after you've cleared them.

There might be some special places that do respawn for whatever reason, but the average cave\dungeon did not.

Well, it's easy enough to check the two locations I listed as respawning, they are close to fast travel. From that little circumstantial testing and my (admittedly not very reliablie) recollection of the game I'm more inclined to believe that it is the special quest-related locations that dont respawn. Or is there something special about Tharys tomb outside Balmora? :)

Last edited:
Well, it's easy enough to check the two locations I listed as respawning, they are close to fast travel. From that little circumstantial testing and my (admittedly not very reliablie) recollection of the game I'm more inclined to believe that it is the special quest-related locations that dont respawn. Or is there something special about Tharys tomb outside Balmora? :)

Not sure, and I'm not going to reinstall the game right now just to check that. All I know is that the vast majority of those common dungeons do not respawn, at least they didn't in my game. (no mods)

Which mods did you end up going with?

LOTS of mods.

Lets see....

mana regeneration, balcony house in balmora, metal queen boutique, better body, better heads, less aggressive animals/monsters... for now.

I really like these better heads and better body. I couldnt stand original graphics. And also no mana regeneration. Balcony house in balmora is handy and also fun. You can decorate house all day if you want. When I get more mod, I'm going to put some slaves in house as well so I can act like a princess (hey, thats what this freedom thing is all about, heh? :p)

I plan to install more mods that allows me to pick a flower not freaking herbs (everytime I see pretty flowers and pick them I get herbs for alchemy instead!), morrowind comes alive or something... more outfit mods, mod that allows me to hire mecernaries... etc!

I heart Morrowind ='.'=

A little drunk, a little sentimental. Thinking I should reinstall and bust out another character, there's still many things I undoubtedly havent seen in the game yet.

Anyway, I might as bust out my old list of semi-useful tips that i wrote way back when I had first beat the game. Still my most personal and beloved character -
Victory At Last - Pointers from a Legend

LOTS of mods.

Lets see....

mana regeneration, balcony house in balmora, metal queen boutique, better body, better heads, less aggressive animals/monsters... for now.

I really like these better heads and better body. I couldnt stand original graphics. And also no mana regeneration. Balcony house in balmora is handy and also fun. You can decorate house all day if you want. When I get more mod, I'm going to put some slaves in house as well so I can act like a princess (hey, thats what this freedom thing is all about, heh? :p)

I plan to install more mods that allows me to pick a flower not freaking herbs (everytime I see pretty flowers and pick them I get herbs for alchemy instead!), morrowind comes alive or something... more outfit mods, mod that allows me to hire mecernaries... etc!

Morrowind comes alive is a must have for sure. The window lights, and ambient sound mods also add a lot of atmosphere. And the script extender mods add some truly stunning stuff as well. I just loved the little mod that allowed me to write in my own journal - what was it called, Journal Expanded?

Morrowind comes alive is a must have for sure. The window lights, and ambient sound mods also add a lot of atmosphere. And the script extender mods add some truly stunning stuff as well. I just loved the little mod that allowed me to write in my own journal - what was it called, Journal Expanded?

I think I already have that mod... is there any other mod you can recommend for me?

I think I already have that mod... is there any other mod you can recommend for me?

Everything by me, of course :)
Seriously, It's hard, there are thousands of mods, and by now there must be a lot of new stuff I don't even know. If you are looking for content, I thought Havish, Moons Spawn, STanegau Island, and White Wolf of Lokken (?) were good quest mods back in the day. There is a whole slew of companion mods with good quests, if you are into that. There are a couple of great Stronghold expansions you could look into. The bank mod, carryable bedroll, animal behaviour mod, and the readable signposts, and Less Generic NPC (dialog mod) were also must haves for me.

LOL GhanBuriGhan, and here was me thinking that it couldn't possibly be you! :) Purpleblob, don't believe GBG for a second! Here is a man who made a sailing mod and painstakingly removed THOUSANDS of rocks to make seas of MW (or was it Oblivion?) more navigable to ships!
What he doesn't know about Morrowing and Morrowind modding isn't worth knowing! And he is right about the sheer amount of MW mods out there. Modability and mods kept me enjoying this game for close to two years! Pity that Oblivion isn't anywhere near as modder friendly as MW was....

Last edited:
Is there a mod to genocide, nerf, or at least greatly reduce the quantity of cliff racers? I'm seriously considering another run at it, but I cannot bear the idea of having to deal with those ENDLESS amounts of cliff racers. Please?

Last edited:
LOL GhanBuriGhan, and here was me thinking that it couldn't possibly be you! :) Purpleblob, don't believe GBG for a second! Here is a man who made a sailing mod and painstakingly removed THOUSANDS of rocks to make seas of MW (or was it Oblivion?) more navigable to ships!
What he doesn't know about Morrowing and Morrowind modding isn't worth knowing! And he is right about the sheer amount of MW mods out there. Modability and mods kept me enjoying this game for close to two years! Pity that Oblivion isn't anywhere near as modder friendly as MW was....

I think you confused something there - I did make a similar mod, but I never released it (and I only moved a couple dozen rocks for it)! Maybe you were think of fishing academy by MadMax (another good one!)? Anyway, I was not kidding. I might have forgotten more than many ever knew, but that still leaves me rather ignorant today :)

Nope, no confusion. I was kidding about "thousands of rocks" and, true, you never released it but you made it available to few people who expressed interest in the mod. I was one of them.

Well, how about that, I had completely forgotten about that! Well, cheers to you amd Morrowind.

Is there a mod to genocide, nerf, or at least greatly reduce the quantity of cliff racers? I'm seriously considering another run at it, but I cannot bear the idea of having to deal with those ENDLESS amounts of cliff racers. Please?

Less aggressive creatures or something.. which I already have installed makes cliff racers attack you much, much less. I find it handy.

Thanking you kindly. I'll give it a shot, one of these days.

I like Oblivion for its systems (gameplay and quests, and after the UI mod, its interface), sense of slight realism, but I have to say you can't beat Morrowind in terms of vastness and beauty. If Oblivion had but a single desert, or various temples to raid, I'd probably change that, but it doesn't, it feels lacking in environment. Its effects are better though, I love the environmental changes (miss the ashstorms though), and love so many things in it. Its great to explore but I wanted lycanthropy to be an option (though it wasn't that well implemented, it was still there in Bloodmoon). I still can't get over it though, even with SI, Oblivion feels lacking... Morrowind has this huge place to explore, and the factions are more fun (Dark Brotherhood is fun, but nothing compared to the Morag Tong), it had less leveled content, which Oblivion can have with mods like OOO (though I'm not using it till I have a better connection, as I can't download a new version yet), and I found Morrowind to be varied. If you ask me, wait for the Morroblivion mod to come to its final stages, it allows you to import everything from Morrowind to Oblivion, but its incomplete at the moment, just pushing the land masses, npc and stuff with Oblivion creatures only, and no quests/dialog yet. Wait till its perfected :D Then you can have the best of both worlds.

Well, once this mod is out I might have to reinstall Oblivion. My MAJOR gripe with Oblivion is that it's so much less modder friendly than Morrowind was.

I spent a lot of time in Morrowind years ago but Oblivion still left on my possible buying list only. Now that i checked some mods and really impressed and potentially make Oblivion far more enjoyable than in it original version. Probably would pick it up couple months down the road if i could finish other games first...

http://aelius28.googlepages.com/home

Back
Top Bottom