Risen 2 - PC Version Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
No doubt many of you are playing Risen 2, which has unlocked in many (all?) regions on Steam - thanks to everyone who wrote in. Here's the official press release, which was sent out yesterday:
Risen 2TM: Dark Waters on PC drops anchor tomorrow
26th April 2012 - Hampshire, UK/... Pirate treasure awaits – Risen 2: Dark Waters will be released on PC tomorrow! Explore dense jungles, encounter ferocious monsters, man your own pirate ship, search for hidden treasures – and fight the giant Kraken! Live a pirate’s life in Risen 2: Dark Waters!

Risen 2: Dark Waters will be released via digital distribution for PC.

On consoles, Risen 2: Dark Waters will anchor on 3rd August 2012 in the UK and will include the additional episode “The Air Temple”. Console versions will be released on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PlayStation®3.

About Risen 2: Dark Waters
In Risen 2: Dark Waters, the Inquisition dispatches the hero to seek a remedy against the monstrous sea creatures that are interfering with the shipping lines, thus cutting off the islands' supplies. The pirates seem to know how to deal with these critters... but they are hardly cooperative.

New gameplay elements add to the diversity of Risen 2; for example, players can also use firearms now and, being pirates, adventurers can also employ special new skills called Dirty Tricks, allowing them to confuse or attack enemies in combat.

Official Website: http://www.risen2.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/risengame
Community: http://forum.deepsilver.com
More information.

I started the download and am about to head to work. I will see what it looks like when I get back home. I saw the mixed reviews, but I have always enjoyed Piranha Bytes games, and remember that many of their previous titles weren't highly rated either.

I started the download and am about to head to work. I will see what it looks like when I get back home. I saw the mixed reviews, but I have always enjoyed Piranha Bytes games, and remember that many of their previous titles weren't highly rated either.

I'm about to do the same. I know that some hesitated on GreenManGaming and their 20% off pre-order deal due to concern over timing of availability, but they sent my code last night with notification of it being available just after midnight.

I am SO glad I got to put a few hours into Risen this week to get myself totally psyched ..

Despite the graphics issues (mostly popping - OMG the POPPING aieeeee!) , its still fun - only 80 minutes in, but mostly enjoying it. I think people are already working on higher res texture etc, so we'll see what the community can do.

well the game won't start at all for me. I just get a black screen with audio but nothing else. I can't even alt-tab out so I have to hard reboot my pc! :( All in all not very impressed. This is the first game in probably 5 years that I've had any trouble with of this sort

Do you have the right DirectX for the game ?

yep steam just updated all that stuff when I installed it

It's looking OK-ish. My first 30 mins were wasted tracking down config files and updating the mouse X & Y; you can't adjust them via the game and the default Y speed is less than half X. Then I sampled a bit of the local fauna's stun lock capabilities for a while, and now I'm done for the night. Not a great start but I'm sure it gets better.

Graphical pop in is distracting as is the weird mouse axis issue people are having. Some flickering textures as well, feels like driver issues. Opening narrative is a little rushed and some cut scenes cut away in a brusk manner; amateurish feel on that count. Still, the music is good despite losing Kai Rosenkranz and there is a good vibe in spite of the niggling issues listed above.

Thus far the game looks great using my 47inch T.V. as a monitor, AA and AF on what I assume is max. Have had no graphical flaws. Enjoying myself, yet have not played enough to compare it to original Risen and was tired when it came out at midnight. Will post impressions as they come.

Does anyone know if Risen 2 is digital only or is their a boxed version (U.S.)?

I have distracting pop-in of a few different kinds. I'm on an ATI 5850. Could any Nvidia users confirm if they see pop-in, and sudden changes in lighting (and the magical inflating plants!).

I'm seeing some minor pop-in here and there, but nothing really distracting. The inflating plants are there for everyone.

Despite the flaws, this game has some truly beautiful moments...

Attachments

• 2012-04-27_00001.jpg
    2012-04-27_00001.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 211
For me, that water reflection turns on and off in big ugly patches, so I had to turn reflections off :)

I have distracting pop-in of a few different kinds. I'm on an ATI 5850. Could any Nvidia users confirm if they see pop-in, and sudden changes in lighting (and the magical inflating plants!).

I use nvidia and have a fair amount of graphics glitches. I didn't have time to thoroughly test different settings last night though.

Hey ho. Maybe there'll be patch. If I were the kind of person who had to rate games, I think I'd knock off a whole star for the random flickering landscape.

I'm eager to hear first hand comments from watchers! So is it a fun game? :)

stop discussing technical issues, you guys whine about the reviewers, but its the first thing you talk about

Technical issues like the ones we're experiencing take you directly out of the experience by breaking the state of hypnosis induced by the game..so ya, it's sorta important to some of us.

yep steam just updated all that stuff when I installed it

Everything? I'm not sure Steam auto-updates video drivers, though it does sometimes suggest em. To be sure, try installing the latest beta driver.

Back
Top Bottom