Dragon Age: Inquisition - New Info & Screenshots

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A poster on NeoGaf called Nirolak has gathered some new information from a recent preview from GameStar magazine about Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Gameplay notes:

-The Inquisitor can make his/her own rifts (is it the correct word for Risse) in the fade and summon demons
-No fade puzzles (transformations) like Origins
-The Protagonist can actively jump but not climb.
-Homebase system. You will be able to customize certain rooms and buy upgrades, like a garden to grow plants for alchemy. The journalist also suspects that there will be a "map room", where you can allocate troops to open new trade routes or occupy outposts. Besides Skyhold (which is your main base), you can upgrade your other bases as well.
-Animal wildlife works differently: they interact with each other (wolves hunt deer, a dragon once picked a fight with a giant) and need time to repopulate, so if you kill all the wolves in an area, you’re gonna have to be very patient
-To advance the story, the inquisition has to have gained a certain strength, to unlock new regions
-The environment is supposed to have a big influence on battle, like we’ve seen the inquisitor slightly stumble when the ground turns muddy after rain
-(Creative Director Mike) Laidlaw says most areas are roughly three times the size of the korcari wilds from DA: O
-New enemy giants. They like Darkspawn ogres and throw rocks. [Note: They're also much larger than Darkspawn Ogres.]
-A dragon is especially vulnerable on the head.
-There won't be mod-support for DA:I

Plot notes:

-There are some plot notes here, but BioWare's writers noted that there were notable errors on this front in the Gamestar article, so I left them off.
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/497547-gamestar-preview/
You can also check out some new screenshots on allgamesbeta.

More information.

It looks much better than the awful brown pile of poo DA2 was, but why every single thing feels out of place? The colour palette and the lighting are really messed up. At least at my eyes.
I don't care for the game and I'm certain I won't play it since I have a huge backlog and too many other (probably better) RPGs to play.

Way to spread misinformation (not talking about you Couch). The error notes from the dev were not just for the plot, they were for the bullet points in general.

Gaider and Weekes suggested that we wait for information in our own language (likely coming this Wednesday, that's when the magazine release officially). The writer did a lot of speculation (his own comment, he post on the BSN) and that was totally lost in translation.

One of the confirmed mistake is that Solas is not a Dreamer.

-There won't be mod-support for DA:I
I love this. Because for whatever reason ppl here believe that the game is better if it supports modding. IMO it's not. Devs can release modsupport after the game patching and polishing is done with.

And since it's Bioware, the game will most certainly be polished and not left with 500+ bugs with the final patch. Hopefully the design won't suck like ME2 and DA2.

This looks interesting:
- Homebase system. You will be able to customize certain rooms and buy upgrades, like a garden to grow plants for alchemy. The journalist also suspects that there will be a "map room", where you can allocate troops to open new trade routes or occupy outposts. Besides Skyhold (which is your main base), you can upgrade your other bases as well.
-To advance the story, the inquisition has to have gained a certain strength, to unlock new regions
Am I seeing enriching the genre with a bit of RTS here? I doesn't feel like just a makeup feature or dumbed down Sims houses like in Skyrim DLC. And again, since it's Bioware, I don't expect hordes of constantly resurrected mobs to annoy your bases the whole time. The whole system could work nicely.

With Nuclear Union delayed, TW3 and FC4 pushed to next year and reading about this could-be-refreshing new system, I'm now very interested in DA:I. Still not interested enough to preorder it because of what they did with DA2, but am very close to it.

There are two questions still not answered anywhere. The first one is will there be cutout mainstory content and sold separately as DLC and is the game Origin exclusive?

I love this. Because for whatever reason ppl here believe that the game is better if it supports modding. IMO it's not.
You are entitled to your opinion. It's completely erroneous but you are entitled to it.

From your perspective it is erroneous. From my perspective… I dislike CAS in The Sims as it's development ment no code optimization and no polishing the game and can't understand the fuss on Sims forums after Maxis said CAS won't be a part of The Sims 4.

CAS is a modtool there in case you didn't buy that game. While it's not something I'd ever try, I suggest you to try it. ASAP.

In Sims maybe (and NO I didn't buy Sims nor am I planning to). But I don't think that creating modtools for games like Morrowind, Witcher, DA:O or Skyrim (just for example) made those games inferior to what they would have been without those tools.

NO I didn't buy Sims nor am I planning to
You should. It's a game with endless possibilities of modding. Mod tools in other games are like a baby compared to possibilities this one offers. Hell did you ever hear before there is a mod for a game that cleans your savegames in a way that instead of 10Gb savegame you can drop it to a few Kb? And it works perfectly. The mod. Not the game. If the game worked perfectly, such mod wouldn't be needed.

Anyway, Sims is IMO modders' paradise. Skipping it just because it's "I don't want anyone learns I'm actually playing" Sims is unfair.

Oh and... Sims is... EA game. Just like DA:I. In case you're wondering why I didn't mention some other games with modtools like you did. :)

Anyway, Sims is IMO modders' paradise. Skipping it just because it's "I don't want anyone learns I'm actually playing" Sims is unfair.

I don't skip it because I don't want anyone learning I'm actually playing Sims. If I carry if home in a plain brown envelope who would know? I'm skipping it because I don't feel like playing Sims :biggrin:

You can't know if you feel like it unless you try. And I assure you, once you start, you won't let it go for days. Weeks.

As one of my friends was saying: "I don't have to poke myself in the eye to know that I don't like it". You are not working as a part time pusher are you? :)

-(Creative Director Mike) Laidlaw says most areas are roughly three times the size of the korcari wilds from DA: O

3x3 times as big? Or just three times the total area? *shrug* I guess we'll find out…

I think ment 1x3.

I love this. Because for whatever reason ppl here believe that the game is better if it supports modding. IMO it's not. Devs can release modsupport after the game patching and polishing is done with.

Having mod support won't mean the game is better, of course. The game is what it is at release. Modding certainly can and usually does MAKE it better though. Can't think of any game since I've tried mods that I didn't think couldn't be improved by a few simple tweaks here and there.

DAII could've been "fixed" had it had anything like the mod support your "beloved" Bethesda games had. Sure the base games quality would've been the same but eventually a portion of the gameplaying population would've settled down as modders "fixed" and improved stuff.

Does this mean I approve of devs leaving to modders what they should've done? No. But it does mean I'm happier when fixing can happen. And even if devs could ship a bugfree game, mods can still improve/tweak gameplay stuff according to particular tastes.

I'm fine with mod support being released after the base game itself, but WHEN it's released isn't the same as whether it is better IF it is.

-The Inquisitor can make his/her own rifts (is it the correct word for Risse) in the fade and summon demons

Sounds stolen from Larian (Beyond Divinity) and from the "Rifts" role-playing system (from which Larian was threatened to NOT use the old name "Riftrunner" for the game). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts_(role-playing_game)l as can be read in the Anthology's "Developer Journal".

Sounds stolen from Larian (Beyond Divinity) and from the "Rifts" role-playing system (from which Larian was threatened to NOT use the old name "Riftrunner" for the game). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifts_(role-playing_game)l as can be read in the Anthology's "Developer Journal".

huh?

NPCs have been able to summons demons and spirits since the first DAO game. Those rifts are actually called tears (in the Veil) in English.

huh?

NPCs have been able to summons demons and spirits since the first DAO game. Those rifts are actually called tears (in the Veil) in English.

We may be looking at some form of (unintended?) hype, in the sense that you theoretically create a 'tear', but in effect it's just 'ye aulde demon summoning tricke'. Perhaps this time with some fancy 'look, it's a tear in the Veil' sfx, but we'll have to wait and see. Maybe something like the visuals in Demonicon when demons appear or are banished.

The hyping campaign does seem to be in full strength. Then again, Gamestar is a highly commercial outfit and gave DA2 pretty high marks back in the day. It's no surprise they were given an 'exclusive' here. Giga.de had a very different-sounding and pretty critical review (still giving a high rating, though…tss, you gotta love 'commercial double-talk') but I doubt they will be given any DA:I exclusives ;).

It's a bit strange tho isn't it? The game isn't out for another six months, so why are they hyping so much already? I don't really get that.

@Fluffyhotep

Dragon Age lore demon summoning always cause a tear (a tiny one, but one nonetheless) and there is no banishing spells (you have to kill the demon). Players could do a spirit summoning in a quest in DAO. Players also killed plenty of demons and fought plenty of NPCs who summoned some as well in both games. It's nothing new.

And Gamestar did not get an exclusive, there were many journalists that attended BioWare presentation last February. The mag was leaked, it release officially tomorrow. I suspect that is when the embargo fall.

Back
Top Bottom