What games are you playing now?

yes the fmv scenes are cheesy but they can sometimes be entertaining rather than annoying. i was annoyed though by the totally obvious use of cuecards by the elder general. not that i watch the show but it looks like the guy from lost is in the game as well, along with billy dee williams. mike should be happy that lando has got another role!

i've played nearly as many city builders as rts so i don't mind and kind of enjoy the building restrictions. i'm intrigued by the way they did the building in this game as it means you can't just build a bunch of units/buildings at once--a design that is usually only applied to units. but yes animations are nice, but like Moriendor pointed out this game runs great i've got everything maxed at 1280x1024 save shadows and anti-aliasing at 2x and its smooth. though with bigger maps i might have to bump down the resolution or turn of anti-aliasting. i was going to say that the animations might ad a slowdown to performance but i guess that would only be the case if you could build many at once. the building/objects/and unit destructions though are superb for an rts. i love city wasteland settings (j.g ballard heightened that love) and this game does a great job with what little i've seen.

the supreme commander demo was nice and if i hadn't played the cc3 demo i might have considered getting it when it hit a less than $30 price. now its going to drop to half that as cc3 intrests me more. don't get me wrong the storyline looked intriuging as well as attractive factions but the gameplay didn't blow me away and most importantly is that the developer has only the dungeon siege games under their belt. i feel i wasted $25 on dungeon siege 2 not long after its release and only made it to mid act 2. i finally picked up a copy of the original (arianna version) for less than $10 but that is for the sole purpose of playing ultima 5: lazarus. i highly doubt i will ever play the game itself though.

"and most importantly is that the developer has only the dungeon siege games under their belt"

Not true at all. Chris Taylor was also the lead designer behind Total Annihilation. I think I read somewhere that they were working on SC for something like 5 years. I think the game is going to do very well, TA had a huge following and everyone knows that SC is the spiritual successor to TA. you're certainly not going to see it in the bargain bin anytime soon.

I agree about the wasteland settings in CC3. I thought they looked superb.

What kind of video card do you have?

i actually never played any total annihilation games. any recommendations that have demos?
you're certainly not going to see it in the bargain bin anytime soon.
believe in the magic that is gogamer JDR13:)

i have a bfg 6600 gtoc, 2 gigs of ram, and a p4 2.4. my comp is definately and overachiever!

@curious - One of the reasons I like F.E.A.R. so much is because it actually has an incredible story and atmosphere to go along with the action, characteristics that most FPS's lack.

OK, I can't hold my tongue any longer - you worship FEAR and dismiss NOLF, but the *only* thing 'better' about FEAR is that it has a dark atmosphere ... NOLF 1 & 2 are two of the best FPS ever, excellent stories, characters, top-notch action and so on ... just not 'dark & gritty''. Shame to miss out on them, no excuse if you are a shooter fan (IMO, being a shooter fan and not liking NOLF 1 & 2 is like being a RPG fan and not liking PS:T, Wizardry and BG2!)

@mike
well i haven't played any of those games but that doesn't mean that i don't like them:). just another reason why i think the use of the term rpg had become archaeic unless splintered into more specific genres. personally i would like to see a 'nutrition facts' in games that break the game down into an agreed upon pool of ingredients and how much of each that 'said' game has.

OK, I can't hold my tongue any longer - you worship FEAR and dismiss NOLF, but the *only* thing 'better' about FEAR is that it has a dark atmosphere ... NOLF 1 & 2 are two of the best FPS ever, excellent stories, characters, top-notch action and so on ... just not 'dark & gritty''. Shame to miss out on them, no excuse if you are a shooter fan (IMO, being a shooter fan and not liking NOLF 1 & 2 is like being a RPG fan and not liking PS:T, Wizardry and BG2!)

I didn't dismiss anything. If a game doesn't appeal to me, then it doesn't appeal to me. Where did I say anything negative about NOLF? It seems like a fine game, but the goofy spoofs and lighthearted humor don't do anything for me.

For you to say that the *only* thing better about FEAR is the atmosphere is simply your opinion, and I'm not sure how many people would agree on that one.

I also wouldn't be so quick to compare NOLF to games like Wizardry and BG2.
Now who's worshipping?

Curious,

I'm sure you could still find a demo for TA on the net. Keep in mind that the game is almost 10 years old now.

It sucks about the system requirements for Supreme Commander, that's the only negative thing I can think of about the game so far.

+1

Especially the first NOLF is a masterpiece.

I second what JDR said so "-1" in regards to what txa1265 said for me basically :) .

I played and finished NOLF and mostly liked it, too. It's IMHO far from a masterpiece though since it wasn't exactly original to copy James Bond and to turn him into a chick.
It was a good, fun, humorous, entertaining and light-hearted shooter experience. Kinda like a Bugs Bunny shooter. Just plain good fun but nothing special.

F.E.A.R on the other hand is way more memorable IMHO and definitely something special due to the game's very intense gameplay and atmosphere.

Let me put it this way: When you go to Disneyland, what are you more likely going to remember even years later? Meeting Donald Duck (NOLF) or the thrilling, double looping rollercoaster ride (F.E.A.R)? See. I thought so :) .

well the first time i went to disneyland ~age 7 i got a kiss from snow white pretty memorable as. about 6 years later and my last time at disneyland my memories were of 'captian eo' not really a ride and the newly released gip of a ride star tours. 2 hour wait for 2 minutes...oh the excitement. besides the star trek experience in las vegas is much better even if you don't like star trek and i only had to wait less than a 1/2 for that one. i might be going to disneyland though in april for the first time in over 15 years. the only ride i care about though is space mountain as i never got to ride it as a kid. though i am torn because disney is on my list of top ten despised companies.

Just finished the C&C 3 demo. Being down with the flu sometimes has its merits, too.

An "Gute Besserung" from me as well. My sister had it recently, ans I was just glad I didn't get it myself.

I got the flu twice, and horrible colds a couple times too this winter. In an office environment, it's real easy for a malevolence to stay alive for extended periods of time. Was about to just throw myself from a freakin bridge and get it over with ='.'=

I feel totally out of the loop on games, I havent played anything except a little FastCrawl here and there. The other weird factor is that I cannot decide what to play. I know, strange, but I have a choice between several great games that Im halfway thru. With school, social life, and D&D (3 diff campaigns and designing my own) I dont have infinite time, and these are all pc games that take time not only to play, but to get back into the rythm of playing. In the end I end up playing none.

I feel that I should just commit to finishing NwNII, since I'm in D&D mode lately. But then again, it might be nice to take a break from the D&D theme and head in the Spellforce direction. But I never finished Battle for Middle Earth.. Then again, I might as well try out the new C&C demo. If Im going to fire up a new strat game, I'll have to (somewhat begrudgingly!) try out Supreme Commander demo.

Or I could just give them all the middle finger and go fire up FastCrawl or Fate!

I know, "Poor Sammy!", some of you people are wishing that you had such problems as too many games to play.

Thanks, Mo and Alrik :). It's been on and off for me here... Sonny dragged it in about 6 weeks ago, and since then, we passed the flu to and fro. I've been home sick twice already, then went to work for two weeks in a row, and last weekend it hit me big time... first a headache, then a cold, a bronchitis and a sore throat. The next morning my voice was gone, and after getting up I just collapsed.
Jaz: "Gargl." *Swoon. Bump*
Sonny *excited*: "Daddyyyyyy! Mommy's battery is dead!"
I went back to work on Monday, stayed long enough to arrange important matters, then I went to see the doc who sent me home.
I'm better now; at least my voice is back!

Last edited:
Maybe your avatar should be a pink bunny with Duracell batteries, or do you get those commercials!! :)

Yes, we do know these commercials here as well. ;)

Then again, I might as well try out the new C&C demo. If Im going to fire up a new strat game, I'll have to (somewhat begrudgingly!) try out Supreme Commander demo.
[/I].

Why would you say "begrudgingly"?
Don't hesitate to try the Supreme Commander demo, I think it's the the best RTS I've played in a long time. Maybe even the best since Starcraft.

I also finished the CC3 demo yesterday and I must admit that I really liked it as well. It looks like it's going to be a good year for RTS games.:)

played rogue trooper over the weekend. a beautiful, but short game. it far exceeded my expectations. the new paris level was bloody awesome if you love ruined city levels. not bad for 10 bucks. glad i held out all these months and avoided the cheaper non-english imports. just playing demos at the moment (this week) but i should be getting grim fandango, dungeon siege(for u5 lazarus only), sudeki, and spellforce 2 all new for just under $60 including shipping from a fav uk ebayseller. though i'm not sure if any will be played as i have over half a dozen other 'unopened' games i've yet to play...then there's the unfished games...and the replays...but i've got to start studying for the l.s.i.t. exam in 2 months so i probably need to be gaming anemic for awhile:) thank god bioshock isn't coming out before the test!

It looks like it's going to be a good year for RTS games.:)

So what's new? :biggrin:

My avoidance of SupCom is partly out of the annoyance of being bombarded by it everywhere that I look in the gaming media. That sort of thing always tends to have the exact opposite effect on me, it turns me off. I also never played TA, so I dont have this wanting for something from the much-lauded makers of that game. Plus I hear that it runs like shit on anything less than a godlike system.

My rig is pretty killer.. for games from last year!

Another thing, and this will sound silly, but I hate the giant robot thing. That's just me, I never have liked giant robots, prolly never will. Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps I'll love it once I try it. Lord knows strat freaks worldwide are going totally bonkers over it!

Back
Top Bottom