General News - RPG of the Year 2020 @ RPG Site

OCD. Really. So if your mom's birthday is in, say, March, and you don't call her or acknowledge her birthday in any way you would argue that calling her in April is effectively the same. And if she's angry about it or wonders why you didn't call, she has "OCD" about her birthday month.

Okay. Interesting. The rest of us will continue to use calendars and assign shared meaning to concepts like "year" and "month."

My mom is not a moron, thinking the world revolves around her.

That said, my world partially revolves around her, but we both know that our own rules will suffice here.

Of course, that kind of thing requires agency of some kind.

Of all the things I'm tired of, the thing I'm most tired of is gaslighting. In your zeal to argue, you've said that people who expect people to recognize the actual date of their birthday "think the world revolves around them", and that you can call something a "game of the year" while insisting that the word "year" itself is meaningless.

I can have an exchange of ideas and a difference of opinions, but trolls who argue by inventing their own reality and then berating you for not being a part of it, that I'm not into.

So I'm blocking you. Kind of a bummer, since I like a lot of your posts. But this shit is too stressful and exhausting to be worth dealing with.

Of all the things I'm tired of, the thing I'm most tired of is gaslighting. In your zeal to argue, you've said that people who expect people to recognize the actual date of their birthday "think the world revolves around them", and that you can call something a "game of the year" while insisting that the word "year" itself is meaningless.

I can have an exchange of ideas and a difference of opinions, but trolls who argue by inventing their own reality and then berating you for not being a part of it, that I'm not into.

So I'm blocking you. Kind of a bummer, since I like a lot of your posts. But this shit is too stressful and exhausting to be worth dealing with.

I have no interest in being stressful and exhausting, so that sounds like a very wise decision.

All the best.

(it's just a game and we obviously differ on what it is and what it is not).

Tsk…tsk…Dart's at again it seems.:lol:

New record for ya first day and already put on someones ignore list.

I doubt that's a first for me :)

In this case, though, I think it's less about me and more about Cyberpunk doing things to people.

I can relate.

You don't need a ton of imagination to understand that I don't think GOTY 2020 is more important than GOTY 2021.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who doesn't invest a ton into arbitrary numbers and struggle to comprehend why anyone would.

Anyway, he put me on ignore - so that's rather pointless to go on about.

But thanks for welcoming me back. It's good to see you can still make your low effort smartphone judgment calls :)

You don't need a ton of imagination to understand that I don't think GOTY 2020 is more important than GOTY 2021.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who doesn't invest a ton into arbitrary numbers and struggle to comprehend why anyone would.

Anyway, he put me on ignore - so that's rather pointless to go on about.

But thanks for welcoming me back. It's good to see you can still make your low effort smartphone judgment calls :)
I never understood why you thought writing on a pc makes it any better than writing on a phone.

Feels very odd to me.

Also, it actually does seem you misunderstood him.

He wasn't saying goty 2020 is more important than 2021, but rather that a game that came out in 2020 should be in contention in 2020.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I never understood why you thought writing on a pc makes it any better than writing on a phone.

Feels very odd to me.

Also, it actually does seem you misunderstood him.

He wasn't saying goty 2020 is more important than 2021, but rather that a game that came out in 2020 should be in contention in 2020.

There's nothing inherently good or bad about not investing or putting in any real effort when communicating.

It has less to do with your device - and more to do with how little you actually commit to what you're doing. The fact that you use a smartphone just underlines it a little :)

It's just not very sexy to have people calling judgment and pretending to be neutral all in the same sentence. That's a little nauseating to me.

I wouldn't comment except I've noticed that it's not just with me. You seem to have a habit of making these personal judgment calls - and you always have this presentation of being fair - combined with, as I said, low effort and supremely obvious bias.

To me, that's nauseating and disagreeable. No big deal overall, though.

Once again, the number doesn't matter to me.

If people genuinely don't understand that it actually takes time to fairly and (reasonably) objectively determine the quality of something - and therefore there HAS to be a cut-off date, then I don't know what to say.

Let's pretend December 31 was the cut-off date and Cyberpunk was released on that day.

Would it be realistic to have a useful GOTY contest before the end of the year?

Oh, then we could move GOTY 2020 to 2021 - and we'd have scores of people arguing that 2021 isn't the right time for 2020 GOTY :)

Not that I would mind.

Because, again, it's all arbitrary to me.

Truth be told, GOTY contests are almost equally meaningless as well.

I mean, a bunch of people trying to agree based on what they personally liked more than something else?

Talk about important stuff! ;)

Anyway, it's been fun.

I was kinda drunk yesterday - which is what usually happens when I decide to engage around here.

My mistake :)

It's almost sure to happen again down the line. I get nostalgic about stuff.

Until then, I (genuinely) wish you all the best. Even the irrational and emotional types (I guess that's all of us)!

Have fun peeps.

There's nothing inherently good or bad about not investing or putting in any real effort when communicating.

It has less to do with your device - and more to do with how little you actually commit to what you're doing. The fact that you use a smartphone just underlines it a little :)

It's just not very sexy to have people calling judgment and pretending to be neutral all in the same sentence. That's a little nauseating to me.

I wouldn't comment except I've noticed that it's not just with me. You seem to have a habit of making these personal judgment calls - and you always have this presentation of being fair - combined with, as I said, low effort and supremely obvious bias.

To me, that's nauseating and disagreeable. No big deal overall, though.

Once again, the number doesn't matter to me.

If people genuinely don't understand that it actually takes time to fairly and (reasonably) objectively determine the quality of something - and therefore there HAS to be a cut-off date, then I don't know what to say.

Let's pretend December 31 was the cut-off date and Cyberpunk was released on that day.

Would it be realistic to have a useful GOTY contest before the end of the year?

Oh, then we could move GOTY 2020 to 2021 - and we'd have scores of people arguing that 2021 isn't the right time for 2020 GOTY :)

Not that I would mind.

Because, again, it's all arbitrary to me.

Truth be told, GOTY contests are almost equally meaningless as well.

I mean, a bunch of people trying to agree based on what they personally liked more than something else?

Talk about important stuff! ;)
It's good of you to judge me by saying I'm judgemental but whatever floats your boat.

Obviously all of this is arbitrary, years are arbitrary, games tastes are arbitrary, tastes in general are arbitrary.

This is a discussions forum and you don't seem to want to try to understand that for jfarrell and probably a lot of other people, game of the year should mean game of the year it was released.

Otherwise we might as well have a game from 2007 in the list for 2020.

Game of the year 2021 should have games released in 2021. Game of the year 2022 should have games from 2022.

Another example would be that of the Oscars. They review movies based on the agreed upon year schedule. They don't award Oscars in 2019 based on movies released in 2015.

The rules are, according to wiki,
"According to Rules 2 and 3 of the official Academy Awards Rules, a film must open in the previous calendar year, from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31, in Los Angeles County, California,..."

That's simply what most people would expect from the games of the year award too - minus the Californie bit for me :)

Anyway, it's been fun.

I was kinda drunk yesterday - which is what usually happens when I decide to engage around here.

My mistake :)

It's almost sure to happen again down the line. I get nostalgic about stuff.

Until then, I (genuinely) wish you all the best. Even the irrational and emotional types (I guess that's all of us)!

Have fun peeps.

Hey, don't leave! We haven't even argued about Star Citizen or anything! Come back inside; I'll pour you another drink!

What does it matter?

If it doesn't make it this year, it will make 2021.

Of course, if CP2077 is RPG of the year - it's a very, very sad year for RPGs indeed - regardless of the number in itself.

Well, unless it's the version that's not Early Access and out of alpha, of course.

Your choice (Valhalla) is at least as buggy as CP77. On PC, that is. You may have a point in terms of CP77's console release.

Valhalla is a boring and buggy pos, it's dark souls meets RDR2 wannabe that (so far as I haven't finished it yet) doesn't fail only in the second Asgard visit.

You mean Jotunheim, right?

I'm not a fan of those breaks in the game flow myself. Always hated the animus meta story, and now they add even more levels with the Asgard arc (and in some sense, the Vinland arc as well).

But you are onto something there, there's a certain quality to the story in Jotunheim that's missing in the rest of the game. MAYBE, because it's not original material at all. :biggrin:

I'm not a fan of those breaks in the game flow myself. Always hated the animus meta story, and now they add even more levels with the Asgard arc (and in some sense, the Vinland arc as well).
As I've said before I hate the animus-real-world breaks and I also don't like the Asgard/Jotunheim stuff.
But I really liked Vinland. I visited it in late mid-game when Eivor became powerful with good equipment. Then going to a new land where he is alone and starts with nothing but his clothes on, needs to find ressources and work up from there in a landscape that looked and felt different, was really a nice change.

As I've said before I hate the animus-real-world breaks and I also don't like the Asgard/Jotunheim stuff.
But I really liked Vinland. I visited it in late mid-game when Eivor became powerful with good equipment. Then going to a new land where he is alone and starts with nothing but his clothes on, needs to find ressources and work up from there in a landscape that looked and felt different, was really a nice change.

Oh I could agree to that aspect of the Vinland arc. They should make the whole game into some kind of roguelite, where every region you conquer is with a new character. And I'm only semi-joking here. ;)

But from a story perspective, the Vinland thing felt extremely forced and artificially injected. I guess they desperately wanted that link towards earlier AC games.

I liked the part and didn't like it for the exact same reason. I liked it because as you say, it's an interesting change of pace to have powerful Eivor stripped of his equipment as he goes "undercover", and to have to be cautious as he pieces together some gear again.

At least in theory. In practice, it made me impatient and I found it kind of annoying. That's actually where I left off playing for now.

Back
Top Bottom