Literally the worst time ever to build a new PC

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero
Holy fu#$, I have never seen a situation where half the components you need to build a PC are unavailable to purchase. It's been almost 3 months now, and getting worse thanks to bitcoin's fakery.

Unless you're building a system from 3 years ago, you're screwed. First-world problems, I guess...

I know trying to get one of the newer GPUs is pretty damn hard right now. I wasn't aware it was going on with other components as well.

Yeah, now that the urge to be ready for 2077 is gone, I'm starting to think I'll just wait for Unreal Engine 5 benchmarks. I want a PC that can run the tech demo at 144FPS :p

The only game I really want is Elden Ring, anyway.

I'm a bit skeptical of the significance of Unreal 5. I suspect it will just a be larger than usual point update, appointed version 5 for "next gen" marketing purposes. The new tech is interesting, and a big addition, but I really wonder how practical it will be for gaming purposes at this point. It might be of more use for quicker iteration on the arch-vis and movie effects side of things, which is of growing importance to them.

I probably wouldn't let it affect my upgrade decisions.

I've been waiting for almost a year, if not longer. First, GPU cards were more expensive than usual because of bitcoin farming, then the RTX series arrived but that didn't seem to impact the 1080 Ti or other acceptable cards. Then later, everyone was waiting for an annoucement of the 3080 so the 2080 would get a little bit cheaper, but instead its price has only increased :-/

Then there are the other components. It's certainly not easy.

EDIT: *looking* I'm discovering Intel's "new" nomenclature (K, F) with the failing GPU chips :lol: That's so awful. And it's always such a messy job to compare components, takes hours or even days.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for almost a year, if not longer. First, GPU cards were more expensive than usual because of bitcoin farming, then the RTX series arrived but that didn't seem to impact the 1080 Ti or other acceptable cards. Then later, everyone was waiting for an annoucement of the 3080 so the 2080 would get a little bit cheaper, but instead its price has only increased :-/

Same here in Brazil. Nvidia released RTX 3060Ti but this didn't lower the prices of the RTX 20 family. :(

Don't you want ray tracing? :)

Don't you want ray tracing? :)
For my part, the games I play don't benefit much from it. It's either flight simulators or RPGs - mostly CRPGs actually. But after looking again now, it seems RTX 3070 are a good option, and doesn't consume too much power (I want to be able to use my PC in summer).

It's probably nice to have it for the long term, if it's well adopted. TBH I haven't followed those features very much, is ray tracing mainstream for new (big) titles?

Cyberpunk has it, and probably more and more future titles. If only because people expect it (new consoles have ray tracing so there is pressure). Whether it will be used right is another matter.

Still, I believe it is well received in cyberpunk, watch dogs, call of duty and (not sure) valhalla.

Bitcoin is such a waste. Gaming is certainly a better use of those resources.

Bitcoin is such a waste. Gaming is certainly a better use of those resources.

As a generic statement, I disagree. I think it is very important. We finally have something for the people that cannot be confiscated or manipulated (or bailed out). It's hard for me to concisely articulate how this has never been more important than right now.

Also, Bitcoin is not responsible for any component shortage. You can't effectively mine Bitcoin with common components, that ship sailed like 7+ years ago. You need specialized machinery to have any realistic chance to mine any. Some of the alt currencies, on the other hand, you can mine with your GPU or CPU.

I would imagine the shortage is probably more related to supply chain issues stemming from the pandemic.

As a generic statement, I disagree. I think it is very important. We finally have something for the people that cannot be confiscated or manipulated (or bailed out). It's hard for me to concisely articulate how this has never been more important than right now.

Also, Bitcoin is not responsible for any component shortage. You can't effectively mine Bitcoin with common components, that ship sailed like 7+ years ago. You need specialized machinery to have any realistic chance to mine any. Some of the alt currencies, on the other hand, you can mine with your GPU or CPU.

I would imagine the shortage is probably more related to supply chain issues stemming from the pandemic.

The main waste issue I see is less about components, and more about energy. So the components may not be the main thing (they are still wasted though).

I have no problem with cryptocurrencies as such, or with blockchain. But bitcoins proof-of-work system is a total waste.

Personally, I think it is a critical component for security and fair distribution (also still far less wasteful than traditional finance), but I do understand the concerns that people have with it, and also think it will be a hurdle that it will need to overcome in an increasingly environmentally-conscious world. I think messaging and communication from the community will need to be thoughtful, and avoid defensiveness.

Sorry but all you bitcoin miners can kiss my big fat behind. As this isn't the first time hardware is in short supply and prices are high because they buy by the cartload.

Only plus side is you can buy used cards for cheap when they swap them out.

Sorry but all you bitcoin miners can kiss my big fat behind. As this isn't the first time hardware is in short supply and prices are high because they buy by the cartload.

Only plus side is you can buy used cards for cheap when they swap them out.

As I said, you cannot mine Bitcoin with an Nvidia or a AMD GPU or any retail components really. You need to buy ASIC's. If people are buying them for mining, it's not for mining Bitcoin.

Back
Top Bottom