Arx Fatalis - Remaster Overhaul Mod

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that on October 30th the Arx Fatalis Remaster Overhaul mod will be released.

Modder 'Pedro_Ordaz' has announced that his overhaul remaster mod for Arkane's Arx Fatalis will release on October 30th. In order to celebrate this announcement, the modder has also released a new trailer that you can find below.

[...]

More information.

Pretty cool. I might get into this once more. :)

Although, I'd be even more happy if this fixed some of the issues with the magic system (easly confused gestures / runes).

"Elevations and rooftops"

Arx Dishonoratis?
Yes!

it is a great game, i might give it another try if have time....

One thing I'd love if I were to replay this great game would be the ability to play using magic in conventional ways (assign spells to a key). I really hated having to draw them in real time, it was too frantic and imprecise for my uncoordinated hands.

If they are going to make new ways to kill I hope they make the enemies tougher. Combat wasn't exactly challenging. I do like the look of the overhaul though!

One thing I'd love if I were to replay this great game would be the ability to play using magic in conventional ways (assign spells to a key). I really hated having to draw them in real time, it was too frantic and imprecise for my uncoordinated hands.

From memory, you could have 2 or 3 pre-prepared spells you only had to click on to cast; getting the gestures correct in combat was ridiculous!! :)

getting the gestures correct in combat was ridiculous!! :)

Which, I think, is mostly due to the underlying gesture recognition system. I'd say it would be pretty easy to use, if there was a bit more tolerance with respect to distinguishing specific symbols. Despite that, I loved the idea of the magic system in Arx Fatalis.

It was a decent idea on paper, but having players investing skill points in magick then fail to use it half the time isn't great game design. And some combos were simply too long.

On the other hand, it was still better than the use of magick in TES games, where shooting an arrow or casting a fireball are mechanically the exact same thing… And I have a fond memory of playing Arx with a piece of paper on the side to note the most usefull combos.

All in all… I don't know…:p
I'll let game devs sort out that kind of questions.

Last edited:
getting the gestures correct in combat was ridiculous!! :)
Actually it was the #1 reason I adored the game.
It's a masterpiece that needs an official remaster, not whatever mods.
It was a decent idea on paper, but having players investing skill points in magick then fail to use it half the time isn't great game design. And some combos were simply too long.
Fails were fun!
No spellcast lasted for too long as time is slown during your "drawing".

Yeah, the spellcasting was definitely a pain at times. I loved the exploration in Arx though, and they really nailed the atmosphere. I still remember nearly jumping out of my chair at the start of a certain event in the Dwarven tunnels.

I've never replayed the game so I'll definitely be giving this a hard look.

Back
Top Bottom