NWN2 Starting anew in 201-2

Neverwinter Nights 2

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
I loved NWN2 and haven't played in a couple years. I seem to remember enjoying an offensive spell cleric, and maybe a favored soul. What domains and race would you pick for a cleric that will be going melee/offensive caster route? Is this a terrible idea? I completed the game as an aasimar cleric the first time and an aasimar favored soul the 2nd time. I seem to really enjoy my cleric-hood in NWN2. I can't even remember if I even went to a prestige class in either game and would appreciate build suggestions, greatly!

C'mon Thrasher and Maylander :) HiddenX, aren't you a big NWN fan too?

I've also thought about playing a sorcerer, which would probably mean RDD later, right?

Melee + Casting = Bard

A Bard is always hard to play, but fun.

A Cleric is by far the easiest character.

You know out of all the classes, I've never played a cleric nor favored soul in nwn2. It is actually the next kind of class on my list to try, so let us know how it goes! :)

My sorcerer was played many years ago on nwn2. My memory sucks.

Wasn't the Warlock severely underpowered? Why not try that?

What did you set your camera to?

Every time I started playing it I had an overwhelming desire to use the Toolset. Invertibly I would hunt mods to try and make it work better (or at least like the one in NWN1) but then give up.

You know what would have been really cool? If they released an adapted toolset for KoTOR. I was thinking of that the other day.

For melee/caster I prefer favored soul because he gains his deity's weapon feats automatically on level 1,3 and 12,for race Asimar is probably best pick.I completed original campaign+MotB once with pure favored soul and once multi-classed with divine champion and it never felt underpowered.

Thanks, Nameless one. I'll go for Aasimar Favored Soul and see how that plays. I'll decide later whether to jump to a PrC.

Well, after looking at the mods Thrasher suggested, I ended up back at a human cleric, with storm and earth domains. This will be an offensive caster, thanks to call lightning, ice storm, and chain lightning. I can also do melee thanks to earth, which grants the toughness feat and stoneskin. I also took intuitive attack from Kaedrin's PrC pack which gives a bonus to attack with weapons.

If this was my first playthrough, I would never use the mods, but since this is number 3, I thought it'd be fun and overpowering. I'm playing on hard, so the fire domain with fireball would be tough to do with collateral damage.

Now i am remembering. Earth is an excellent domain as is time for haste. Magic domain is nice too for extra spells per day, Mage armor, and melf's. Given the massive undead presence, the sun domain would be a good pick for the OC.

I did sun with my last cleric and it was very powerful. This time, I'm not going high charisma, so I skipped the turn/burn undead route.

I never finished MotB or even started SoZ (got about halfway through MoW). I really need to go back and play these.

I'm playing NWN2, hence posting in the NWN2 forum :) I ended up starting over to take a level of rogue, so I can open the odd chest or disarm traps. I'm a rogue1/cleric4 at the moment, getting ready to leave the Whispering Inn with Khelgar. Gonna go pick up my weapon that I'll likely use for the whole game. I generally just keep enchanting the Bone Phoenix morningstar and I'll cast the spell or take the feat that makes it keen.

that's what I thought. I was confusing the abbreviations of the NWN2 expansions with the NWN1 ones for some reason.

what camera did you decide to run? did you find any mods for them?

The old "one level of rogue trick" still applies I see. What about putting a point in first aid so you can use bandages? is that still useful?

what about skills you can only take at first level specific to race or class? are there any recommendations?

Generally, for a caster, spell casting prodigy is a no brainer background feat. Skilled helps humans, but is a freebie. Luck of Heros is also a general good pick. Keen sense is an ok convenience for an elf (another freebie). Drow get some excellant free racial spells. Other feats may better depending on your intended role.

Since I'm using a domain, storm, that has several offensive mage spells, I chose spell focus evocation, along with spell casting prodigy. I don't want enemies saving against my spells and wasting half or all of my effort. You can still put a point or more into the heal skill so that first aid kits are more beneficial. If you have a high heal skill, you can cure poison and disease. Kits are almost always more beneficial than spells, but they cost gold. I just buy the cheapest kits and try to bump my heal skill every so often to keep it useful.

Sorry, I didn't see this topic until now. Sounds like you've got it all sorted. Just remember that Clerics use Wisdom for offensive spell checks, so you won't be able to do too much damage with low Wisdom. On the other hand, it's hard to maintain both high Wisdom and high melee stats, so most either choose to be melee + lots of healing and buffing or more of an offensive caster type Cleric.

Frenzied berserker is a beast. Plus warlock, great for roleplaying.

Back
Top Bottom