ToEE - Circle of Eight Mod 7.3 Released

aries100

SasqWatch
Version 7.3 of Circle of Eight's modpack fort his game has been released. Link to the download: http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack

A quote about the general bufixes, for the other bugfixes please follow the above link.

GENERAL
  • Comprehensive lag fix implemented: significantly reduces or eliminates lag in the Air, Earth, and Fire Nodes and in Temple levels two and four.
  • Disabled descriptive "empty/not empty" hover-text for containers.
  • Adjusted jump points in Moathouse Dungeon (near Lubash) and in Broken Tower (from Escape Tunnel below) to avoid parties being separated in different rooms upon arrival.
  • Changed Lantern Archon attacks from melee to ranged touch (per RAW) casting Searing Light.
  • Reduced value of summoned shillelagh to 5 CP (same as quarterstaff) so as to avoid selling exploit.
  • Bulletproofed drinking contest routine so that Paladins don't fall.
  • Corrected some exotic armor prices and stats.
  • Updated Moon-Ivy armor as follows: removed spell casting ability and charisma bonus from regular variety; added Poison-Ivy, Explosive Spores, and Pheromones varieties per the Arms and Equipment Guide. Reduced availability of all varieties so that they are rare.
  • Reduced CR for Drow, WotGS dwarves, and both Hextor factions to slow leveling (NC only).
More information.

Great news... I consider the Co8 to be one of the best mods ever made for an RPG, even though ToEE itself has always had a dubious reputation because of the way it performed upon (and, well... long after) release. Still, if you like tactical combat, this is one of the best D&D (3.5) RPG's out there.

I re-bought and re-played the game when it was released on GOG some time ago and tried version 6.01 of the mod. I was amazed by all the intricate changes that left the feel of the core-game intact, but improved many of the original flaws. The newly additioned areas (optional) blend very well with the original scenes.

Still a good game for old timers who enjoy turn-based combat. Wish they'd have made more modules…

Ironically, the encounter I remember best is perhaps the room with the Gellatinous Cube, although there were plenty of other more tactically interesting fights.

Last edited:
I think it's time for another run. Not necessarily a great game but great combat.

Any news on mods based on the ToEE engine? I remember they (well, someone) were working on implementing some old D&D modules, but that it had fizzled somewhat. I'm not sure I'd wantto play ToEE again so soon, but would enjoy an entirely new adventrue based on the engine (which I thought was brilliant).

There was the Keep on the Borderlands demo. I'm not sure what it's like yet, but I did download it last year.

I played ToEE with the 7.0 Co8 installed earlier in the year and went with a good aligned party to complete the trio of having previously completed it with both neutral and evil parties. Whilst somehow it wasn't as compelling this time around and I didn't continue past the end of the main campaign, the combat and character building was still very fun and I'd echo the sentiment of wishing to see an entirely new adventure utilising the engine.

Whilst somehow it wasn't as compelling this time around and I didn't continue past the end of the main campaign *snip*

What is there to do after you finish with Zuggtmoy? I don't recall having the option to continue after that, but I haven't played ToEE since it was released, and I assume the mod added a free-play mode.

Check out this thread on the Co8 forum for more information about the extra content. Basically wherever you see a Co8 mod release with NC written after it in the title, there's new content to be experienced.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7737

Has anyone here at the Watch played the Keep on the Borderlands demo incidentally?

Back
Top Bottom