Gothic vs. Arx Fatalis - Battle of the Games @GOG

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Battle of the Games, day 4 pairs two of the best RPGs of the early 2000s against each other:
Gothic vs. Arx Fatalis!
Of course this means both games will be on sale tomorrow. That's the perfect opportunity to register through our banner and grab the free Ultimas from a couple of days ago. ;)
More information.

Great contest for 14 days!

What is "register through our banner" or is there possibly a link to how this works?

Thanks.

Oh, I wish they had made Gothic compatible with Windows 7! Has anyone tried GOG's version with Win7?

I have Gothic installed now on my Win 7 x64 partition, and it runs fine. It's the GamersGate version, but I don't think there's any differences from the original retail version.

It doesn't look quite right in widescreen resolutions, but it's completely stable.

Great contest for 14 days!

What is "register through our banner" or is there possibly a link to how this works?

Thanks.

We often (but not always) have banner ads for GOG at the top right of the news page. Reload until you see one.
If you click on the banner and register through our link - please clear your cookies if you have already visited GOG before - we get a small percentage of every purchase you make on GOG. So it's a way to support RPGWatch financially without additional costs.
Three Ultimas and a couple of good to great adventure games for free are a good reason to create an account, I think. ;)
I can confirm that you don't have to make a purchase to download the free games, btw.

yes, Gothic works on Windows 7

I'm waiting for the mod updated , then I'll have my gf run through it

Oh, I wish they had made Gothic compatible with Windows 7! Has anyone tried GOG's version with Win7?

It's not Windows 7 per se, that has problems with Gothic and Gothic II, it's certain graphics card drivers for Windows 7. The game used to be nearly unplayable on Nvidia cards, but after lots of protesting in their forums they finally fixed the problem somewhat.

Any thoughts on Arx Fatalis?

Thanks for the heads up. I bought it. After all, it's only a couple bucks. Lord knows if it'll ever make it to the top of the backlog. Making it there is 95% random chance, haha.

I bought Gothic 1, 2 and 3 from Steam during a sale last year.

It was a PITA to get Gothic 1 to run, but after installing several community patches it worked OK without crashing.

The problem is the rather clumsy interface. It's difficult to do simple things like retrieve items from chests, etc. I gave up and skipped ahead to try Gothic 3 instead.

Any thoughts on Arx Fatalis?

Arx Fatalis ran fine without requiring any community patches. Also it was a lot more fun than Gothic IMO. The magic system was very interesting.

Arx Fatalis ran fine without requiring any community patches. Also it was a lot more fun than Gothic IMO. The magic system was very interesting.

Interesting magic system for sure. But the quests were irritating and a few were easy to break, such as the "save the girl" quest. That idiot troll and his stupid birthday present!

The problem is the rather clumsy interface. It's difficult to do simple things like retrieve items from chests, etc. I gave up and skipped ahead to try Gothic 3 instead.

I say persist if you can, because the rewards are definitely worth it to at least experience Gothic's wonderful design. Also, the interface isn't that hard to get used to. ;) Ultimately you're missing out on a ton of narrative and choice skipping ahead like that.

Comparing Arx and Gothic is a bit apples and oranges for me. I love them both but for different reasons.

GOG members cannot into economics. Vote the more expensive for a 60% discount, not the cheaper one!

Picked up both games as I've been meaning to get them both since they were released. Went through the ad banner and it stuck a pp on the end so presumably the referrer worked too.

Back
Top Bottom