Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
This news is just depressing. First AMD might sell its desktop division and now Intel is doing this. Intel's upcoming Broadwell CPUs will be soldered to the motherboard, rather than socketed, a detail they have now confirmed with a pair of OEMs.

This will be a death knell to the desktop PC and the enthusiast market. Intel's Sky Lake processors that will follow Broadwell will be socketed for one or two generations to follow, they conclude: "By then the last remaining overclockers and experimenters on the PC front will be gone, and for good technical reasons."

Seems both company's want to pursue mobile devices instead but Intel also wants to destroy mobo and video card makers also. Go buy your pc consoles people it's becoming a reality.

Link-http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/

Well, if AMD is smart they might see a possiblity here and take over the market instead of selling out.

Yeah I read that one too and although the article is a little on the scaremongery side, it raises an interested prospect. AMD seem to be going down the tubes so Intel really have the run of the joint, and if they want to limit their chips to a certain motherboard manufacturer - one that they own for example - then what's to stop them? Would that be illegal?

Personally I haven't taken much interest in hardware for the last couple of years - only the Witcher 2 made my hardware break a sweat. So if that trend continues then I'll be happy to just buy a new motherboard / CPU combo every 5 years, or - like you say Mr Potato - a whole new "pc console" if it was cheap enough.

I hope that the EU's competition commissioner will have something to say about this.

Hark at the UK person wanting the EU to intervene :)

Back
Top Bottom