Seige of Avalon

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist
Anyone play this? Thoughts?

IIRC the guys that made it were highly influenced by the Ultima series (no surprise I guess!). I picked it up and played for a few days on it, but then something else captivated my interest. Thinking of doing it again now that I've finally finished Ultima IX.

I've finished the first chapter (out of 6). I believe they were more influenced by Diablo and Baldur's Gate than Ultima. It's not bad, though the pace of the game is a little bit slow for my pace.

I was surprised on how much fun I really had !

There is a still active German-language community out there ... - They still produce mods and unofficial patches (this due to the fact that the German-language version of the game was never so far patched than the English-language version).

They even got a sort of preview demo of the second part, "Pillars of Avalon", which was never made.

They reside here: http://www.soamigos.de/

Unfortunately the whole forum there (there's nothing more than that) isn't very accessible for people not capable of the German language.

Plus, for all the downloads one has to register there.

More to that here: http://www.jeffersonstewart.com/digitome.htm

Yeah, I did, but only the first two chapters. It got a bit repetitive for me, especially the thing with the girlfriend or something in chapter one. Go there, say that, go back, say this, go to third, say something else ... It's quite nice, and the story is good, but there was something bothering me for some reason.

Of course it ain't deep. The *real* story unfolds only very, very late, up to then it really is boring to some extend.

Then playing a game up to chapter 5 before it gets interesting is not for me.
I don't need it to be the most intriguing of plots, but then I don't want quests which make me just go back and forth for an hour except if the two or three people are standing next to each other...

Actually most of the middle chapters are class specific.

I don't remember that many quests that forced you to go back and forth between characters, or that many annoying in chapter 1. Of course, there are these quests all the time in all the rpgs (recently the Witcher, which is a great game anyway, but took this particular aspect to a whole other level), so it's not that much of an issue for me. What bugged me more in Siege of Avalon, was the small inventory and the bad auto arranger that would tell me my inventory is full when there are no more than 3 items inside.

I played untl chapter 3 or 4 when you finally meet up with the elves.

I had a lot of fun at the time. You will never see another game with this much reading needed and it promoted this fact as a selling point.

There is a lot of shortcuts taken in the design of it. For example in one area the South exit was in the North part of castle. The worst part of the game was horrid AI, especially with your companions.

The game is too dated now for me to finish but it was a good at the time. The selling of the game in downloadable installments was unique and creative at the time and bypassed the regular marketing channels. it did well enough to convince a publisher to put it in stores where it sat around as a budget Jewel Case title for a long time.

Its just a shame the planned sequel never got made.

I just dropped the no more needed items on a heap in "my" (I mean the characters') room within the castle.

Back
Top Bottom