Elden Ring - Leaked Gameplay Trailer

I'm fine with Elder Ring being basically a Souls game with various slight adjustments, set in an open world. That sounds great to me. But I'm not sure how that's gonna work in an open world. Becasue Souls game are best because of careful level design, with the level itself a puzzle to be unwound. That seems a bit in conflict with an open world. Unless they just make multiple "souls worlds" connected via an open world. That would be nice.

It's hard to understand anything because of the quality, but I think the game has horse battles. So that means it's an open world game?

I'm fine with Elder Ring being basically a Souls game with various slight adjustments, set in an open world.

I'm not. I'm hoping that's just a false assumption due to From Software releasing nothing but Souls in their recent history. I'd like to see something significantly different from them here.

Sekiro was different and tried different things (focus on parrying, not ring-fenced bosses, better story telling, verticality), and it was beautiful but sufficiently hard and damaging to my wrist and arms (seriously) when using a controller (which I think is the best way to play these types of games).

I liked Sekiro but I had to put it away fairly early because I was so bad at it. I'm good at other Soulslike games, but I've always been awful at parrying for some reason. In other games there were were ways around this, you could dodge, block, kite, etc. But in Sekiro you had to play a certain way, and unfortunately that was a way I was really bad at.

I'm hoping for more options from this one.

I liked Sekiro but I had to put it away fairly early because I was so bad at it. I'm good at other Soulslike games, but I've always been awful at parrying for some reason. In other games there were were ways around this, you could dodge, block, kite, etc. But in Sekiro you had to play a certain way, and unfortunately that was a way I was really bad at.

I'm hoping for more options from this one.

Indeed and that is the reason why I left Sekiro even though I reached as far as the fight with Genichiro Ashina, it was just too much parrying.

Groundbreaking, never before seen new content! OMG! OMG!
Last year I even wanted to finish Dark Souls 1 to see what's in 2 & 3. But even the 1st game is so inanely written that I couldn't stand the boring story. The only monster NPC I liked is the giant talking Chesire cat who sits on that wall..

Indeed and that is the reason why I left Sekiro even though I reached as far as the fight with Genichiro Ashina, it was just too much parrying.

I got even further, but after persevering through a more frustrations than the two Dark Souls games I've played plus Bloodborne combined, I gave up. I'm a roller in From games. All that block timing was a pain.

I couldn’t finish Sekiro either, way too much partying for me, didn’t fit my play style at all. What’s great about the souls-games is that you can find a play style that fits you and roll with it. With Sekiro you had to fight a certain way, I didn’t like that at all. Hoping for more classes and viable play styles in Elden Ring

Yeah, that doesn't clarify things much.

I just hope they don't do the bonfire thing or something similar with this one. Since it's supposedly larger and open world, I'd like to see a more natural method of respawn.

Oh, I think the bonfire mechanic along with the unlocking of shortcuts is one of the best design choices they came up with. It's sort of a hardcore mode, but limited in scope. And it takes away the ability to save scumm, which is something I do in most games. But in souls games the stakes are real. Even if I often find the mechanic punishing and demoralizing, you can't beat the heart-pumping feeling of losing your progress. And since it's just until the last bonfire visit, it's not as soul crushing as a true hardcore mode.

But of course, because of this I've not finished any of the Souls games. I've gotten very close to the ending in Bloodborne, because I absolutely love the setting, and the whole bonfire mechanic really matches the whole losing your mind motif. But even if I've not finished any of them, I still hold them in very high regard. And I very much enjoy each attempt I take at them. Having something to lose, while punishing, really gives a new dimension to playing.

Oh, I think the bonfire mechanic along with the unlocking of shortcuts is one of the best design choices they came up with. It's sort of a hardcore mode, but limited in scope. And it takes away the ability to save scumm, which is something I do in most games. But in souls games the stakes are real. Even if I often find the mechanic punishing and demoralizing, you can't beat the heart-pumping feeling of losing your progress. And since it's just until the last bonfire visit, it's not as soul crushing as a true hardcore mode.

In those games perhaps, but I don't see that system working very well in a large open-world game.

If the game world ends up being as large as something like TES or a PB game, I don't want every non-boss monster instantly respawning every time I die. I'd much rather they repopulate the areas in a more organic way.

I know what you mean. There are certain people I no longer hang out with for that same reason. ;)

Haha, yeah the amount of partying in Sekiro was staggering... *parrying*.

This is not new info but these things have been "confirmed" for Elden Ring:
  1. Open world
  2. Day/night cycle
  3. Stealth system
  4. Horse travel & combat
  5. Roaming enemies
  6. Spiritual successor to Dark Souls

Stealth system

Gentlemen-you-had-my-curiosity%E2%80%A6-but-now-you-have-my-attention.jpg

Something did happen, there was a thread where he got super mad over some posts. If I recall, they were being negative about a game/genre he liked. Then he had himself deleted.

Would be interesting to remember what the topic was, but it looks like it's pretty hard to find deleted posters' posts nowadays…

edit: I think it was this thread, see post #34:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46140&page=2
Could be worse hills than Solasta to die on, I suppose.

Yes, he was someone to get very upset when people talked about the games he liked, I do remember that quite a lot, but then the same can be said for lots of people. Ah well, we'll just have to find a new From Software fanatic to replace him somehow.

Bit longer version.

"IMPORTANT NOTE: This is an internal trailer that was created for shareholders and is likely a year or more old, and was captured on screen with low quality devices. Placeholder assets and janky animations are part of that, and should be kept in mind when looking at this video. The finished product is likely to be much different on every axis."

Early leaks suggests they will reveal more information on the game later this year. It also looks like a possible release date sometime in 2022-2023 due to developmental delays.
Yeah, I'd even expect them to be in damage-control mode and rushing out a new trailer that doesn't look so awful. xD

I mean, I like Dark Souls but I was really expecting something a bit more ground-breaking.

I say this because he was our no.1 expert on the From games so it was always nice to hear his thoughts in threads like this.
What?! I thought I was our #1 expert on the From Games? What rank am I?! I clocked Dark Souls 1 and 2 with a level 1 character! (I was gonna do it for 3 but I cbf.:p)
oEhaSvD.jpg

What?! I thought I was our #1 expert on the From Games? What rank am I?! I clocked Dark Souls 1 and 2 with a level 1 character! (I was gonna do it for 3 but I cbf.:p)

Hmm, I dunno, you've shown a distinct lack of interest in fiercely challenging the speculations of other people in the thread, so while your knowledge skill might be well invested, your fanaticism stat could do with improvement.

However, I guess we have to promote someone, so:

The King is dead! Long live the Usurper!

This was leaked on 4chan over the weekend.

- Some kingdoms do not have a weather system, like snow only for exemple, but still have a day/night cycle
- Weather and day and night cycle used to open up new areas.
- Multiple realms. Similar to Light/Dark world of Zelda ALTTP.
- World divided in kingdoms, with at least one teleport location on each.
- You can also create you own resting place to which you can teleport to.
- You can sheath your weapon. All equiped weapons are visible on the player.
- Gods are creatures that came from the other realm to the human realm before the Elden Ring shattered.
- Humans want to ascend the same way to experiment with the vanquished creatures that reside in the other realm by exploring/taking possession of the lands of the other realm now that the borders are thinner.
- Rulers of the kingdoms want to use that new power to invade other kingdoms in the human realm.
-Each kingdom ruler uses a special power that you can obtain by defeating it. Those powers can open new paths in the realms. Some rulers are the spokesperson of ancient gods, granting them the special power.
- Kingdom tendency : Each time a player defeat the ruler of your Kingdom, it changes its "tendency".
- On the gameplay side : you can swim, dive, multiple type of dodges, crouch, hide, run, jump, craft herbs, hunt
- You can learn multiple weapon skills and use them on any weapon of the same type. Unusable on special weapons and boss weapons.
- The player can experiment with its body by modifying it, enhancing it through rituals.
- When your weapon is sheated, you can manually grab things in the environnement. Activate a lever, push/hold a block, launch objects. No text indication on what you can grab except for story dependant/important objects.
- The world has a set level design but there are some entrances that leads to procedurally generated ruins, caves etc...

Take it with a grain of salt. It's from an anonymous source, and I don't pretend to know how valid it is. Some good stuff there if true.

@JDR13; Very interesting! Thanks for that.

They all sound pretty reasonable, but I'm skeptical. I would say the "procedurally generated ruins" sounds the most unlikely, but there were some dungeons like this in Bloodborne. Which I haven't played, not having a PS4. But it would be a great addition, especially for end game variety.

Even fake leaks are better than nothing!

Back
Top Bottom