The TV Series discussion thread

Aye, Swamp thing was ok, good tale but meandered a bit, totally worth watching compared to some others. Stargirl I quite enjoyed the first series, and will definitely tune in for series two. Lois and Superman's second episode built quite nicely on what the pilot established, I'm curious to see how far they'll take the whole Luthor thread. I do like this version of him, harkens back to some comics from the seventies and eighties.

Binged Wandavision this weekend. Very different! I really enjoyed it - moreso the first few episodes before it started coalescing into more standard MCU faire.

Yeah Wanda/Vision was really good with all the seeds planted, and not a damn one of them unearthed. That last episode really hurt, and will likely put me off any other Marvel productions, now. It started off with so much promise, and what a cavalcade of failure at the finale.

I watched Sharp Objects when it originally aired. There are a few annoying characters you'll have to contend with, but the overall story is decent.
I liked the book it's based on, though I did have two issues with it:
1) The manipulative bitchy half sister was only 13, which didn't really fit IMO (how old is she in the TV series?)
2) The true resolution is shoved into the epilogue.

I'll get around to watching the TV adaptation one day, just too much to watch out there.

The really really awful thing about Wanda Vision, now that I've had a day to ponder it, is I think they tried to make Agents of Shield and Agent Carter completely null and void. So, since we are given choice in this world, I'll invalidate Wanda and Vision instead. I don't kneel simply because someone else decides a prior iteration is no longer relevant, no matter who they are, especially when that is attempted with shoddy story telling. It's worse than simply being a bad show, it actually goes further and attempts to insult the viewers intelligence as well. It might even be worse than the current iterations of Star Trek, in that regard. I'm literally dumbfounded why they'd attempt to do such a thing, why stoke negative feelings when the first eight episodes had such promise? I just don't get it, then again I don't claim to know how a rock feels, either.

Started rewatching Westworld. The first season is truly fantastic. For me, it's as close to perfection as any single season of a show I've seen.

Over the past week I've watched a series called "A Very English Scandal", based on the terrible decisions made by Jeremy Thorpe over the course of several decades. The knowledge of the incident made me check it out, and the zeal with which Hugh Grant played the lead made it memorable.

A nice Chinese fantasy series Dance of the Phoenix. All episodes can be found on youtube with English subtitles.
Yup, it's free for everyone on WeTV's YT channel.
Note that WeTV has even more shows and movies on their streaming platform, that show included:
https://wetv.vip/en/play/78319w3cxn15xeo/m00342bk4zt?vid=m00342bk4zt

All come with different subtitles, english is almost always included.
Almost, because for example Cross Fire is not subtitled there (yet), but you can watch that one with eng subs on the official Youhug Media YT channel.

Not all titles are free. Either you need to be a subscriber or wait till a certain amount of time passes so it's unlocked for everyone.

Additional recommendation from me on WeTV platform, unless you have already watched it on Tencent's youtube channel, is King's Avatar (anime 12 ep of the first season).

In any case visit it, check the catalogue, you might find tons of good stuff you'd otherwise miss or would never know it exists.
And no, it's not only mainland China, you can find titles from all parts of Asia on it.
Over the past week I've watched a series called "A Very English Scandal", based on the terrible decisions made by Jeremy Thorpe over the course of several decades. The knowledge of the incident made me check it out, and the zeal with which Hugh Grant played the lead made it memorable.
Sadly I did not like the first episode of this miniseries so I've dropped it.
Started rewatching Westworld. The first season is truly fantastic. For me, it's as close to perfection as any single season of a show I've seen.
If that is the only show you've ever seen iin your life, I can understand that impression. :p

Sorry but I loved the second season too.
Didn't have time for the third yet. The fact is I am stretched on too many series (and movies) in past few years. :(
That's what happens when you decide to explore worldwide titles. So many gems, so little time.

Hopkins might be my favourite actor - there's always a simmering intensity behind his eyes, and I don't find many actors as naturally compelling. The first series of WW set a high bar, and I really liked the relationship between him and Dolores.

The second series didn't hit the same mark, IMO, and I didn't get to the third yet, because I didn't like what I heard about the direction they took it.

I'm a big fan Hopkins as well. Elephant Man, Remains of the Day, Bounty, Nixon, so many great films under his cap. And aye, he was quite enjoyable in Westworld as well, certainly took it all up a notch or three.

Literal train wreck? Maybe you're confusing it with Snowpiercer. ;)

Funny you mention Snowpiercer because I just watched that for the first time the other night. It was only 1 episode, and I had no idea what was going on because I didn't see how the series started, but I thought it seemed like a badly filmed soap opera.

Funny you mention Snowpiercer because I just watched that for the first time the other night. It was only 1 episode, and I had no idea what was going on because I didn't see how the series started, but I thought it seemed like a badly filmed soap opera.

Hmm. The movie wasn't amazing but I enjoyed it. Haven't tried the TV series yet. Doesn't sound promising.

Hmm. The movie wasn't amazing but I enjoyed it. Haven't tried the TV series yet. Doesn't sound promising.

There's a movie? I thought it was just a TV series. Are they connected or is it just different versions of the same story?

But yeah, the acting is subpar from what I saw in that episode. I also didn't recognize a single actor except for Sean Bean.

Just finished watching the latest episode of The Walking Dead, and it was actually pretty good. It was the first time in quite awhile that I genuinely enjoyed an episode. It had an interesting self-contained story, and Robert Patrick was a guest star.

For me, I really like the Snowpiercer movie, and think the TV show is drivel.

I liked the unusual tone of the film - it's dark and gritty, but not exactly realism. Everything is kind of exaggerated and grotesque, a bit like Bioshock, or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom