Days Gone on PC

Cool. That was one of the Sony exclusives I was going to get whenever I'm finally able to nab a PS5. I guess I can cross that off the list.

I think a lot of you guys might enjoy this one. It got hammered by reviewers, because of a buggy release, and being a bit slow in the beginning. But it's really a good game.

Re-post since we have two threads.

Fuck yeah I always wanted to play this game.:w00t:

Seriously though I'm not surprised as I predicted this last year.

Last edited:
I'm glad this game is getting a second bite of the cherry. With everything patched up to where it should have been, and optimised for PC, I could see this doing very well.

It took me a long time to get used to the main character. He is very quirky for a videogame protagonist. Ultimately, I appreciated it for being a bold choice (in the same way Depp's take on his Pirates of the Carribean character was a bold choice), but unlike Jack Sparrow and Depp, I never actually liked the choices Deacon St John's voice actor made.

If you can get past that (and I did, eventually) it's a good game.

I remember when this was released on the PS5. There was a lot of negative opinion/review video's back then. So has that changed, or was it improved with patches?

It’s free right now on PS Plus so I’ll probably just grab it there.

I remember when this was released on the PS5. There was a lot of negative opinion/review video's back then. So has that changed, or was it improved with patches?

The situation seems to be that the game was released in a badly bugged state, and also that the early game got off to a slow start. The initial wave of reviews for the big publications were not too good.

Then, a few months later, after the problems had been fixed, there was a second wave of reviews from smaller reviewers, who were saying, "Hang on - with the bugs fixed, and if you persevere through the slow start, there's a really good game here." So it started to get a second lease of life, and what looked like a misfire started to be considered a bit of a hidden gem.

There was (supposedly) a sequel being planned, but it may have been canceled due to sales of the first game not meeting expectations. This is according to the co-director who's no longer with that development team. He had some interesting words for fans in a recent YouTube interview.

“I do have an opinion on something that your audience may find of interest, and it might piss some of them off,” said Garvin. “If you love a game, buy it at f-cking full price. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen gamers say ‘yeah, I got that on sale, I got it through PS Plus, whatever.”

Days Gone director boldly blames cheap gamers for canceled sequel

Caused a riot on YouTube and other sites as well. On one hand he's is correct but on the other he's not. As some RPG games still sell millions of copies after a couple of years.

Anyway that whole mindset of first week sales being the most important need to go.

Last edited:
That's all fine. I used to buy full price games all the time. But then, you buggers in the gaming industry trained me out of that, by regularly releasing major games in pitiful condition, splitting off DLC, and having roadmaps for how much you're going to continue developing them after release. So, now I'm on a several month delay, which also means I usually get bargains.

“If you love a game, buy it at f-cking full price." Yeah, but I don't know how much I'll love it before I buy, and if I do buy at release, there's a good chance I'll love it less than I might do when it's actually finished.

“If you love a game, buy it at f-cking full price." Yeah, but I don't know how much I'll love it before I buy, and if I do buy at release, there's a good chance I'll love it less than I might do when it's actually finished.

The shitty part about that is that kind of mentality is that it has no end in sight. If they sell a lot more of game X, at full price or whatever, that'll just raise the floor for the expected sales for the next game. It's all part of this shitty capitalist/stock market mentality of endless profits, where each quarter you have to do better than last. And if you don't it's a failure, and they shelve the game series as "it just didn't perform according to expectations". Even though the expectations are artificially created and modified each time by a bunch of soulless fucks that couldn't give two shits if they're selling games or potatoes.

The situation seems to be that the game was released in a badly bugged state, and also that the early game got off to a slow start. The initial wave of reviews for the big publications were not too good.

Then, a few months later, after the problems had been fixed, there was a second wave of reviews from smaller reviewers, who were saying, "Hang on - with the bugs fixed, and if you persevere through the slow start, there's a really good game here." So it started to get a second lease of life, and what looked like a misfire started to be considered a bit of a hidden gem.

This 100%. I used to pre-order any game I knew I’d be buying ,but it started getting to the point that by the time it was dlc and patch complete ( which is when I play them) the games were 1/2 price so I just started waiting.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the pre-order. I'm confident enough about this one that I don't think I'll regret it. Hopefully the PC release does well enough that they reconsider developing a sequel.

The only issue with pre-ordering these, even when they're known to be good games, is "How is the port?" Sometimes PC gets borked even on big releases.

Unless a company throws me a benefit for pre-ordering I don't generally do it. Even then, it's gotta be good incentive. Otherwise I may as well wait for initial word of mouth, the same money gets spent in either case.

Back
Top Bottom