Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm beef-less so far on my second run but I'm not playing again until the 6th so I can at least see the new companion in this run. :D Currently in Chapter 5.

Fluent: You really had none of the issues the others are bringing up? I just finished the temple of the elk. After reading some of these recent replies I'm thinking I might hang up this game until after the new year.

I cannot stand waves of tedious fights, and PurbleBlob loves the game but even she is having a lot of issues.

I know I can just push forward and see for myself. But once I get annoyed by a game it's hard for me to come back.

Fluent: You really had none of the issues the others are bringing up? I just finished the temple of the elk. After reading some of these recent replies I'm thinking I might hang up this game until after the new year.

I cannot stand waves of tedious fights, and PurbleBlob loves the game but even she is having a lot of issues.

I know I can just push forward and see for myself. But once I get annoyed by a game it's hard for me to come back.

I had issues my first run, the entire kingdom crumbled because I didn't know what I was doing. But I don't consider that a fault of the game; on my second run I'm doing great but I'm only in Chapter 5, so who knows what the next chapters will bring. That is where I hear the real problems arise, so I'll see when that happens. Just waiting on that new companion.

I'd say its very fun up to chapter 5 if you want to continue :)

It' sad that *issues* with Kingmaker is keeping some people away :( granted it has issues but there are so much more positives.

I'm still working on the review - its currently 4 pages long and I only covered about 1/3 of what I want to say lol. I will try to cut it down a bit and get it ready before the end of the year. Perhaps it will help Watchers make decision then with all pros and cons laid out.

It is easy:
Pros: Game is awesome!
Con: Game was released in Alpha state. Now it is in Beta state.

It is easy:
Pros: Game is awesome!
Con: Game was released in Alpha state. Now it is in Beta state.
Na. Alpha normally means that it's not feature complete.

Na. Alpha normally means that it's not feature complete.
At release game came out without some spells, had a lot of icons missing, your capital never got new graphics when you upgraded it and you could not finish the game.
Not to mention most classes had features unfinished or not working correctly.
It was an Alpha.

Game was definitely launched in a rough state. It's "ok-ish" now, but I'm still experiencing bugs like placeholder art for some magical effects and a variety of glitches like the (very) rare CTD.

Contrary to popular belief, there's no established standard when it comes to exactly what "alpha" and "beta" means in game development.

I mean, a Blizzard alpha can be several times more polished and slick than a lot of final release products.

So, I wouldn't go OCD about the correct label in this case.

But, on the other hand, it's also one of the most ambitious games I've seen from a team this small. It's positively huge.

I can't wait to see what's in store for the future, and I believe it sold rather well - which is just great.

As for the Kingdom Managment thing - that's subjective. I'm using a variety of mods to keep it in check - but I actually enjoy strategy stuff like that, so I don't want it on Auto.

About my only problem with it is the need to return to town QUITE often - because there's no fast travel, and - even worse - there's no way to exit the Throne room except the hard one, where you have to face at least three loading screens from the Table -> Throne Room -> Town -> Exit.

To me, that's obnoxiously bad and horrendously disrespectful of my time.

But I'm seriously in love with the depth and detail of the PnP adaption - and while I really do think the balance is off by a significant margin in some areas, with a complete lack of recognizable pattern as to what you're supposed to be fighting, it's a very solid first effort that can only get better with time.

This is from a guy who's more or less "past" the BG type of game. I consider them archaic throwbacks that should have evolved a hell of a lot more than they have, and yet I still adore the mechanics and sheer RPG-ness of this kind of experience ;)

I can be quite forgiving of a bit of jank here and there when the core is great. Which probably explains my love for PB games and the recent Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Also for FO76 - which, jank and quirky engine aside, is full of quality if you're willing to forgive it for not being what it never said it would be.

Thanks to @purpleblob; and @Maylander;…Initially I just went straight to the final end game phase (I didn't see the other transition point…or did, but thought I'd come from there (!)… and thought there was only one way out, down south). Anyway, back to full strength now…but it's still very tedious now. I think I'm going to turn it down to easy and and just run through everything. I really want it *done*. 200 hours or so, and it's now dragging. I enjoyed the earlier parts immensely (excluding kingdom management)

But I'm seriously in love with the depth and detail of the PnP adaption - and while I really do think the balance is off by a significant margin in some areas, with a complete lack of recognizable pattern as to what you're supposed to be fighting, it's a very solid first effort that can only get better with time.

I love it too. But I think the balance not being recognizable is a good thing, since it lacks level-scaling and has some tough encounters sprinkled in. Definitely agree it can only get better, already can't wait for the sequel where you explore Numeria a bit. :)

The Wild Cards DLC should be out tomorrow! I can barely contain my excitement :D I can start playing again soon!

Thanks to @purpleblob; and @Maylander;…Initially I just went straight to the final end game phase (I didn't see the other transition point…or did, but thought I'd come from there (!)… and thought there was only one way out, down south). Anyway, back to full strength now…but it's still very tedious now. I think I'm going to turn it down to easy and and just run through everything. I really want it *done*. 200 hours or so, and it's now dragging. I enjoyed the earlier parts immensely (excluding kingdom management)

I know exactly how you feel. Mind you, I reloaded my earlier save and ended the game in chapter 6 after I completed chapter 7, and I much preferred chapter 6 option. Chapter 7 is NOT WORTH IT unless you manage to unlock the secret ending (which I didn't).

Yep! I can't wait to go back to playing either with the new DLC. :) I think it comes out in two days though, not tomorrow, or does it? The Steam page still says the 6th. Either way, a couple days and I'll get to see the new chica, as well as continue my playthrough which is currently early parts of Chapter 5. Should be funnnn! :D

At release game came out without some spells, had a lot of icons missing, your capital never got new graphics when you upgraded it and you could not finish the game.
Not to mention most classes had features unfinished or not working correctly.
It was an Alpha.
As Darth already said there is be no standard defining stages in software development. But I don't think any developer would call the released version of P:K an alpha version.

But I don't think that's a point that should be argued about. Everybody knows that it was in a very poor technical state at release.
As I've said before that's forgiveable because of the scope and complexity and especially because it's their first big project. They need to improve on the QA side on their next big game.

Chapter 7 is NOT WORTH IT unless you manage to unlock the secret ending (which I didn't).

With secret ending do you mean romancing Nyrissa? I haven't done that but still persuaded her to help me against the lantern king and I was able to lift her curse.

Yep! I can't wait to go back to playing either with the new DLC. :) I think it comes out in two days though, not tomorrow, or does it? The Steam page still says the 6th. Either way, a couple days and I'll get to see the new chica, as well as continue my playthrough which is currently early parts of Chapter 5. Should be funnnn! :D
I didn't play much the last days so I'll be still in chapter 1 when the DLC arrives. Thus I can go with the new companion most of the game, not just in the final chapters.

With secret ending do you mean romancing Nyrissa? I haven't done that but still persuaded her to help me against the lantern king and I was able to lift her curse.

How did you manage that???

Secret ending apparently allows Nyrissa to fall in love with you and she will accept the briar when you offer it to her. Though, I'm very curious what ending slide you get if you do this. I also didn't spend time researching much of curses, which is required to unlock the secret ending.

What choices did you make to end her curse?

I did manage to persuade Nyrissa to fight against the Lantern King, but she did not accept the briar since I was already romancing Tristian (she refuses the briar, saying that my heart already belongs to someone else). I couldn't end her curse, and been offered immortality by both the Lantern King and Nyrissa after the final battle in chapter 7, but I refused. So I got the ending where I sometimes see Nyrissa in my dream, getting killed by Jabberwock, then returning to life, only to get killed by Jabberwock over and over again. Pretty sad ending.

EDIT: I found some additional info:

I think it may be a bug if you freed her from the curse without romancing her.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder..._to_the_true_ending_all_the_spoilers_by_free/

Last edited:
I'm loving this game right now. That's why I'm hesitant: I don't want to spoil my experience.

Hmmmmm… maybe it's back to RDR2 for a couple months…

I understand that, totally.
But I have more than 100 hours in the game and I am still not at the point they are talking about. I have many points of interest left unexplored and the western part of my map is nearly untouched..

So you really can have some fun while waiting if an improvement is coming for that chapter.

How did you manage that???

Secret ending apparently allows Nyrissa to fall in love with you and she will accept the briar when you offer it to her. Though, I'm very curious what ending slide you get if you do this. I also didn't spend time researching much of curses, which is required to unlock the secret ending.

What choices did you make to end her curse?
Well, in the HATEOT I convinced her to stay with me. I did not use the Briar as I had romanced Octavia before.
In the following dialog with the lantern king I chose the option where he attacks your kingdom and chapter 7 follows.
After cleaning the kingdom and winning the final battle against him (with the help of Nyrissa) I had some dialog with some tough skills checks (I think it was Diplomacy/Persuasion and Lore Arcana and Lore Religion. On succeeding he lifted the curse. I have to recheck this to be sure.

@Morrandir;

Yes, do you mind checking and also posting the ending slide text? I'm very curious

It would be new discovery if the curse can be lifted without romancing her!!!

EDIT: I found the rough translation of ending slide:

for the secret ending.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder...re_there_any_endslides_proving_that_nyrissas/

A rough translation, but this was all I could decipher.

The first slide:

You were able to return Nyrissa her lost ability to love and healed her poisoned evil soul. Together you decide to look for a way to lift her curse of the Lantern King.

And so the story ended. The Latern King is gone without a trace, and we never heard of him ever again. Nyrissa helped to return the kingdom to golarion herself, and followed you as your sweetheart. As rowdy as ever we celebrated the victory, after everyone started restoration of the kingdom. Nyrissa helped the king in all, And she was quickly loved in all corners of the country. Nobody could not remember, that this kind nymph is a former villain, the fault of which until recently was the source of all sorts of misfortune!

Second Slide:

Nyrissa and her beloved Rialdo (I'm guessing this was the russian's name) happily lived together and held hand in hand in ruling the kingdom. Through their union, they worked together to stop the riots of the First World and with an organized plan, Nyrissa was able to embody a bold design that was once cursed, but now it created a dream country. Ryaldia (I'm guessing this is the russian's Kingdom) now a blooming land that took the best from the wild nature and civilization, and our capital is now an amazing garden city, a sight to see for everyone to come from all corners of Golarion!

Slide 1:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....381/EE71BA5B7A7B3A885AE4A98BB306602787EFB18B/

Slide 2:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....319/BF88D8CE195D7D4609DFEF5953177641482BA226/

Last edited:
I thought you only need to unlock the secret ending if
you want to destroy the king.

Now I'm confused, lol.

Back
Top Bottom