The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Ah, okay, it's a bit too small for my screen, I'm sorry.
But now I can see it. :)

If you have a larger version of it - please do post it somewhere ! :)

Once I figure out how

Bring her up in Skype. She uses the same avatar there and it gets blown up quite large, particularly on the call screen. And the cat isn't waving, it's a foaming-at-the-mouth crazed attack. Perfectly suited, me thinks. ;)

Pffft, ok so his/her claws are out... watcha expect?

One thing a Sorcerer, or any arcane, needs to have is a fall-back option. This means spells with different damage types than the main one, as well as spells that either have no saves or target different saves than the standard. My Sorc specialized in enchantments after U14, and could charm or hold anything up to Epic Hard. Prior, she specialized in Necromancy, and could Wail away an army just as well.

In addition, I had Acid, Fire, Cold, and Electric spells at hand. Not many Acid Spells, just Acid Rain and Black Dragon Bolt (both of which were still good despite being an Air Savant), but both have no saves, and do solid damage over time. It gets tight, AP wise and spell slot wise, to have 4 damage types, but when you find yourself unable to act because the critter you face is immune to your main damage type, and you didn't spread the focus out a bit, you're stuck.

Yes, as someone who played a fire savant to cap, you definitely need alternatives. Fire works very well in the early and mid levels, but becomes far less useful the higher you rise. The problem with fire savant is that your cold spells become nearly useless because of the massive penalty, but cold spells are more effective at high levels. If I ever made a sorc again (which I doubt) I think I'd totally respec after about level 15 or so and go necro since those spells seem to be far more effective and numerous at high levels, plus I would be able to make good use of the cold and fire spells which are worthwhile such as the ray spells JM suggested.

Finally got the elusive Sword of Shadow after my 20th run on Epic Vault of Night 5+6. Even got the scroll so now I only need the seal and shard to get the eSoS.

People say you can run 200 times without seeing the shard unless you run Epic Elite. Epic Elite is not easy in a pug group where you don't know the strength of everyone. So I don't expect to get the eSoS ever, but it's fun to at least get the basic version of the best weapon in the game. It was hard work though, 20 runs of VON 5+6 in about 3 weeks. Got tons of XP so I'm almost where I can have 3 twists (tier 3 + tier 1 + tier 1). Next will be to upgrade the second one to tier 2.

Then I need 3 levels in all the 3 arcane epic destinies. Think about a paladin working his way through the Magister. :) Well, it can be it will be on his next life as a fighter. I'm ready to TR once I get to 60 shroud runs. Just have a few more left.

I ended up preferring Air myself. As it boosted Eladar's (one of the best single-target dps spells, along with Niac's Biting Cold and Divine Punishment), did not negatively affect Niac's (like a Fire Savant would), and has Wind Dance, which is just that fun.

Water is the strongest dps though, as it boosts Niac's and Polar Ray, which is another very strong dps spell. It also has some solid CC in the tier three SLA.

Earth matches Water's tier 3 SLA with an identical one of it's own. It weakens Eladar's, but boosts Black Dragon Bolt, which is comparable to Polar Ray, just over a bit of time. Acid Rain is comparable to Firewall in the low levels, but doesn't loose power as much.

All this time I thought fire savant would do the most damage. At level 18 I'd hate to respec. I do carry Polar Ray, Ice Storm, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Lightning Bolt, Disintegrate, Greater Shout(real nice since it stuns too) and Magic Missile...but they don't seem to do as much damage as Scorching Ray/delayed Fireball.

That's because of the massive penalty you take on ice spells if you're a fire savant!! Your cold spells are almost useless. At the very least get FoD and PWK.

If you intend to get to 20 and work on your destinies in Eveningstar then fire spells aren't that bad. Fire spells are worst in areas like the Vale and Amrath since the devils there are immune to fire damage.

In Eveningstar you will see that monsters are immune to other elemental damage like electric. So you certainly need different kind of damage to be useful against all monster types. I'm not sure about the distribution, but different monsters have different immunities so you will have problems against some regardless of savant choice.

Most monsters are not immune vs untyped / sonic damage so maybe you can use spells doing such damage. As a divine I found that light damage seem to work most places since most monsters are evil, but I'm not sure if casters have spells with light damage.

Crowd control spells should also be looked at. It makes it so much easier for the melees when the monsters are danced, fascinated etc.

Last edited:
You can find items that will boost your ice spells a bit, but the game is simply not going to give you full damage in all spectrums. Once you hit the high levels it gets tough to run without a rounded out group. Most quests start hitting with mobs made up of several type monsters, so you will be strong in one area and need help in another. I found it fun to figure out what worked best where on who. lol

Your build seems fine for your sorc. Just have fun, play with the ray spells and find out what will do most damage. DoT spells are good, you can hit them and retreat, then when you come back they are dead or at least limping. lol

I ran Enter the Kobold last night in Reaver's Reach and the last boss killed our party a few times. It was odd that, being a fire savant, the baddies were able to kill me with their own delayed fireballs. I was getting hit for over 400hp every time. My fire resistance is 36...you would think fire savant would be more resistant to getting hit with fire spells. After dying a few times we had a level 24 monk come in and assist us. He also died once, lol. I then tried throwing an ice storm and running around the corner as to not get hit while he was standing in the middle of the battle, lo and behold after a couple of ice storms the fire monsters started slowly dying and he was able to clean up the rest. Not really a fan of that tactic but it worked. That's a tough quest for a fire savant. It seems my solo'ing days might be over soon.

Enter the Kobold is a tough quest regardless of class. Even on normal. Reaver's Refuge quests are all like that, though not to that degree. Inspired Quarters (both packs) are much, much easier.

The best strategy I've found is to circle down below the platform that the boss starts on, heal, then run back out. Focus on the bosses first, as the mobs respawn. Living Spells are considered oozes. Ooze Puppet is a spell.

Enter the Kobold is a tough quest regardless of class. Even on normal. Reaver's Refuge quests are all like that, though not to that degree. Inspired Quarters (both packs) are much, much easier.

The best strategy I've found is to circle down below the platform that the boss starts on, heal, then run back out. Focus on the bosses first, as the mobs respawn. Living Spells are considered oozes. Ooze Puppet is a spell.
I'd say Monastery is even worse. Those two quests are some of the most frustrating in the game, me thinks. Not necessarily the worst quests, but definitely frustrating.

We got fairly good at our "gun and run" tactic, though. Put the healer around the bend, casters head down the hall and pew-pew until they get noticed at which time they hightail it back for the healer, melees chip away and use the brief moments when the casters get aggro to hide and heal. I remember solid fog helped us some, but I don't think we had it last time we ran it as a group (the first TRs? Phuury wouldn't have had that spell loaded). It was still a frustrating battle, but I remember it being manageable.

I think I've died at least once every time we've run that. Sometimes more than once!! :( It's a tough one.

I'd say Monastery is even worse. Those two quests are some of the most frustrating in the game, me thinks. Not necessarily the worst quests, but definitely frustrating.

We got fairly good at our "gun and run" tactic, though. Put the healer around the bend, casters head down the hall and pew-pew until they get noticed at which time they hightail it back for the healer, melees chip away and use the brief moments when the casters get aggro to hide and heal. I remember solid fog helped us some, but I don't think we had it last time we ran it as a group (the first TRs? Phuury wouldn't have had that spell loaded). It was still a frustrating battle, but I remember it being manageable.

I think we never got Solid Fog to do anything actually. The idea was to solid fog the mobs, then run back up top out of their reach. They would stay aggroed on the caster, but as they couldn't reach them, the group could fight in peace. It never worked.

Monastery has the puzzle, so if you can keep the boss off of it, it can be done easily enough. Prey is easy if you can find you way through the maze and have the dps to bring down those giants quickly enough.

Corwin, you die when beating up the airship dummy. ;)

I have yet to beat YOU up on the airship!! :p

Back
Top Bottom