Demonicon - Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Mario Janiszewski the game designer of The Dark Eye: Demonicon is intervived by gamingnexus. I know I'm stilll interested in the game what about the reader?

Is Demonicon going to be class based? Will we see the usual RPG tropes in the game or will it be a bit different?
We won't be class or party-based, rather, you, playing as Cairon, will be a one-man party. Carion, at his core, is more of a brawler, with lots of melee combos at his disposal, but you'll also unlock elements-based magical powers, which let you, for example, freeze enemies, launch flame bursts and the like. Along with that, we have a crafting system that you will use to make potions, ointments, balms, etc, which can heal you, hurt enemies (in the case of poisons) or even boost your weapons themselves. If you prefer a more "magical" path, you can focus on unlocking more attack-based magic with your earned XP, or you can focus on alchemy/crafting, or fighting. It's all up to you, but Cairon by default is pretty much a great mix of the archetypical cleric, mage, fighter and thief.

Could you walk us through the combat in the game? How are you balancing the action with the RPG elements?

The RPG elements are there to boost your melee combos, and unlock magical combat abilities. As with most 3rd person games, combat is handled by simply moving around, and bashing things. To attack, you'll use the face buttons on the controller, while combinations of the triggers and sticks will allow you to dodge, roll and perform other cool actions.

What kind of tactics will players have to use in combat to get through the game?

The player starts with standard melee attacks, but needs to make use of his demonic and magic abilities later on in the game. There will be opponents resistant to physical damage or magical damage. Other enemies are weak against poison and if the player has raised his alchemy skills he might be able to poison his weapons to inflict additional damage.

Will there be any side quests in the game? Do you have a rough idea of how long a play through will take on average?
We have several side quests besides the main quest. It will take at least 25 hours to get through the main quest.
More information.

This interview has convinced me this is a bargain bin purchase at best. 3rd person actionfest with consoles being the main priority.

No thanks.

This interview has convinced me this is a bargain bin purchase at best. 3rd person actionfest with consoles being the main priority.

No thanks.

I still have faith. It does look with more info that consoles will be the main target. Nothing new here as other developers focus on console first then pc.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh.

I'm probably one of the few to play the fist Templar and this game seems like it will be similar.

It was 3rd person action and the controls felt more controller than keyboard. I never finished it but it wasn't too bad.It felt more like a $20 game though not $50 and that's the same vibe I'm getting from demonicon.

I wouldn't be opposed to being proven wrong though. We will see.

after reading that interview I can honestly say I have no idea what they're going for with this game.

Could you walk us through the combat in the game? How are you balancing the action with the RPG elements?
The RPG elements are there to boost your melee combos, and unlock magical combat abilities...

Will there be any side quests in the game? Do you have a rough idea of how long a play through will take on average?
We have several side quests besides the main quest. It will take at least 25 hours to get through the main quest.

IMO That's not an RPG, that's action-adventure.

IMO That's not an RPG, that's action-adventure.

Well it seems to be the trend like discussed in one of my other news post. All you need is a checklist and bingo it's an rpg.;) The game has gone through two revisions so that may have something to do with the outcome.

Last edited:
Hmmm, that's too bad. But while I may have enjoyed a fully fledged RPG more, Demonicon might still be a good game.

Only time will tell...

Dunno about you, but I'll probably buy it.
25 hours for the main quest is more than some AAA games offer.
I just hope it's not grind-o-rama.

Hmm... they're turning the Dark Eye franchise into a first-person hack-n-slash, then hoping to make it something more than a hack-n-slash? Heh. I guess they're taking the Gothic/Elder Scrolls route. Might be enjoyable; we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom