A little "Eschalon - book I" help please :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there was screaming, i think the points I made were valid about wanting to see a sequel....maybe I am being selfish in that I know the dev and I want him to do well...This is not ripping off the big guy and big deal its like robbing from the poor.

hehe Well there seems to be a couple of reasonable posters here and less kids than what I expected. So ill try to be a little more serious.

On one hand its a personality thing really, a gamer like "rune_74" is more prone to a holier than thou attitude while I take the cynical one all the way to the top even knowing that in principle I do am wrong.

In the end it doesnt matter its that simple. One could point the finger and threaten, irrelevant, possibly one could manage to induce a small sense of guilt because in this particular case I do enjoy the game and I certainly have some care for philosophy behind it.

I do in some way truly believe the arguments FOR NOT copy protecting or pursuing people that do not purchase games or register shareware ones are not truly flawed.

So thats it, hate the attitude or love it, do realize that I did not HAVE to indicate that I did or did not purchase the game, same as every other user in the official game forums I assume. Of course I can imagine that the fact I see this issue as such a small deal might be offensive to some people, I suppose one could argue that its just like shoplifting a PC game box but lets face it, it isnt.
There is the principle of things and theres the reality of things which is always relative imho.

With that said I wasnt being an hypocrite with my positive views on eschalon, same way I wasnt with the issue here.

Merry Christmas and Peace.

Whats the problem with that brother none...are you saying its ok?

Am I saying what's ok?

I don't think there was screaming.

Screaming? Perhaps not the right choice of words, but it is strange to see such a witch hunt mentality here.

Everyone seems to think it's normal, though, so who am I to judge? Happy mobbing and good cheers!

PS: groupthink!
PPS: darn!

One could point the finger and threaten, irrelevant, possibly one could manage to induce a small sense of guilt because in this particular case I do enjoy the game and I certainly have some care for philosophy behind it.

If you're not interested in people's opinions against piracy, why push your justification around? If you're going to steal, steal, I'm not licensed to stop you, but it's an odd kind of thief that prances around like a peacock.

I do in some way truly believe the arguments FOR NOT copy protecting or pursuing people that do not purchase games or register shareware ones are not truly flawed.

I can't make heads or tails of this sentence, sorry. Are you say arguments in favour of copy protection and persecution of illegal downloading are truly flawed? I hate double negatives.

I suppose one could argue that its just like shoplifting a PC game box but lets face it, it isnt.

True, in case of shoplifting the game company still makes a profit, in the case of downloading the game company makes zero profit. So it's worse than shoplifting, that's true.

Buy Eschalon, support the little people. Crusaaaaade!

What a crap reasoning you posted Fenril.....nothing you posted was at any way reality.

Brother none...alot of times I disagree with you, and once again I do...I think something like this deserves being singled out, the guy basically laughs it off like it hurts noone, but in this case it does. We know who it hurts and we almost all know the guys name who made the game....so yes I am upset with this idiot. I think most people should be, he does not come off as the poor little gamer who can't afford it, he comes off as aspoiled brat laughing at the system. He thinks making the game cost the developer nothing, which in reality is simply not true. And yes I am more for supporting the little guys becuase a) they do not get advertising money b) they are making nothing at all when you steal a downloadable copy. c) they will be gone if alot of people did this.

So, no I don't think we should lay off the punk.

There are certain "LAWS" That I don't really care if they are broken or not, but people who steal from the luxury of their own home is just wrong. Go out there and do it right damnit. Steal from the store if your going to do it but of course you won't do that because then you might actually have to pay for your crime. I'm just amazed by how ok it is now that everyone and their mother thinks that pirating games is normal and should be done.

Our little corner at the software store doesn't have many quality RPG Maybe we'll get 3 - 5 games a year that are good. Maybe one or two of those will be exceptional. So when pirates steal from the people that make those games for people like us, then that is just one more reason not to go the extra mile and make an RPG. Easier to spin out another FPS. That is why I have a problem with them and that is why I love the "Groupthink" that happens here because we are a group that can't stand that pirate BS and how they always justify the reasons behind why they did it. Just flat out say I didn't want to pay, have no intention to pay, don't care who I hurt, it's only 1 game.

If you accept it, then it becomes the norm. If you don't accept it then you are standing up for what you believe in.

Basically: I think pirates are scum and I'm happy to say so. What does that accomplish, probably nothing but still if more people stood up for what they truly think (Pirate or Pirate hating "CRUSADER") then everything is right in the world. They of course won't go away but at least you don't sit there and say "hey it's going to happen anyways, go with the flow." Naahhh enough of that nonsense, go against the grain.

@Ubereil and VPeric: Shall we just give him a big hug instead? If we all sing Kumbaya around the campfire, perhaps his heart will grow three sizes (it is Christmas, after all) and he'll suddenly send money to all the developers he's screwed over the years. I wouldn't bet on it, boys. The guy's a parasite, sucking the lifeblood out of the very industry he's enjoying. It's not screaming to point out the foolishness of someone shitting in their own water glass.

Well said dteowner.....laughed at the shitting in their own glass....

@Ubereil and VPeric: Shall we just give him a big hug instead?

No; in fact, just because I think screaming isn't the answer, doesn't mean I think the complete opposite would be the answer either. I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere out there...

What exactly is a happy medium...ignoring his actioans...telling he's wrong and maybe next time(if there is a next time) he can support the company or maybe, we realize the poor guy has the RIGHT to play a pirated copy because he isn't hurting anyone.

I'm sure Thomas does not need his money at all, hell all games should be free that way you wouldn't have to pirate right?

No, noone's mind is going to be changed by any discussion of this topic. No, I don't care that you're not a hypocrite - being a loud and proud pirate is no better attribute. No, just because you say "let's face it", doesn't actually make it a fact.

And yes, we know there are other people here that pirate away quietly and keep it to themselves. At the end of the day - even leaving aside whatever our members feel/believe - we have a good relationship here with Thomas Riegsecker and Basilisk (and other developers) and we simply won't support discussion of piracy of their games as an issue of respect and mutual support.

I suspect the longer this thread goes, the more amusement you'll get from it, so I'll simply say: please respect our board policy.

Well hey, I don't know everything! ;)

But you might be on the right track: tell him he's wrong, tell him why that's wrong (hey, it's obvious to you or me, but maybe it isn't to everyone), and leave it at that. There's really no reason for excessive screaming - and in fact, I imagine it could be counter-productive even (ha, who are THEY to tell me? I'll do it just to spite 'em!). More likely than not, though, he'll just not care and then you're just providing some cheap laughs to someone.

Also, please don't get the impression that I condone piracy: I don't.

I think enough has been said on this issue. We have made it VERY clear what our policy is and we have no wish to converse with boasting pirates. In line with Dhruin's 'suggestion' I'm closing this thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom