Grotesque Tactics 2 - Review @ Gamespot

aries100

SasqWatch
Gamespot has made a review for this game. The score is 3/10 which, according to Gamespot, comes from the game's weak combat, the bad humor, as well as the bugs.
Unfortunately, you face a different set of problems during combat. While exploring on the map, your companions march with you. But you can't set their marching order; the AI takes care of it. So when combat starts, they're all in a jumble, and when combat ends, they sometimes spread out. This can be problematic if they initiate another battle while spreading out, especially if you're not ready for a battle. When combat occurs, it's pretty standard turn-based fighting. You control your team against the AI foes, who are about as smart as a colony of sea sponges. They generally rush into the fray, targeting your guild members willy-nilly. And they never focus on healers; they just attack whoever is in range first.
More information.

Come on, this is absurd. No objective review can score a game with lower than 5.
A game that took quite some effort.
This review makes me play it, and I will.

Patched this game is a 7/10.

If you think it's to easy try playing on hard difficulty.

I read the review then logged in to Steam and bought the game. Tactical turn-based needs to be supported. And I actually thought the first game was kind of funny, isn't the entire point for the characters to be stereo-typical??? Did the reviewer just not get it or do I just have a lousy sense of humour? (I mean, getting offended because the woman are all bimbos wearing close to nothing? Isn't that excactly the point with satire, offending people who are to stuck up to see the joke?)

There is a discussion in the forum about it. For the indie developers its a big hit in the face. The problem is humor is always very subjective. If you like the humor , you like the game. If you hate it, you hate the game. Jason hated it - voila review.
Another problem is, Silent Dreams don't want to develop a hardcore tactic rpg, more a simpler comedy rpg with some strategic elements. Jason compare it with Kings Bounty , but you can't compare that with Grotesque.
I hope they also get some more nice reviews, else the comedy idea will end because it's too risky.
This sexual discussion is stupid. This Gamespot guy never watched cartoons?!

Just from the snippet posted, I had a feeling maybe the review was a little harsh. Doesn't seem so terrible to me that the AI attacks the nearest foes...

Also is the official site a .de domain? I googled the game title and the first link, the official site, gave a 'this site may harm your computer' message from G. I avoided it. Have they been hacked?

I feel for them, it's clearly not their week, and I've been there with my own sites before.

I'm waiting for a demo to come out. I didn't really like the original that much, although I couldn't quite put my finger on why. It's possible that the new one may have improved enough for me to give it a try, but I'd really want to try a demo first.

The first part is seriously one of my worst RPG purchases ever. Needless to say, i'm not even giving this one half a chance after that particular turd.

The first part is seriously one of my worst RPG purchases ever. Needless to say, i'm not even giving this one half a chance after that particular turd.

Just repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it more viable.

The 20 bucks I spent on GT1 were a lot better put to use than those 20 bucks I paid for Torchlight.

Nuff said.

Torchlight was the worst purchase I've made next to Mistmare or recently Magic the Gathering (horrible money grab game). GT1 was a lot of fun. Not the best game out there, but it had enough to keep me interested in it till the end.

I bought GT2, but I haven't played more than a minute of it so I don't really have an opinion on it one way or the other. It's on my list to play after I get through a few others.

Um what was wrong with torchlight? It was a diablo clone, but it did it well...lots of mods out for it. I had some fun with it. For 20 dollars I got more then I paid for.

Well torchlight seems to be a divisive game that people love or hate. I found it to be really shallow myself, you just hit your big attack over and over until your enemy is dead. There was no concept of having to use different abilities or tactics against different eneimes. I understand that Diablo style games in general are not exactly rocket science, but Torchlight just took the simplistic thing a little too far for me.

Never played it with mods though, maybe those helped.

Um what was wrong with torchlight? It was a diablo clone, but it did it well…lots of mods out for it. I had some fun with it. For 20 dollars I got more then I paid for.

Um what was wrong with torchlight? It was a diablo clone, but it did it well…lots of mods out for it. I had some fun with it. For 20 dollars I got more then I paid for.

The Mistmare comparison was too harsh. That game you couldn't even play. It's more like Arcania. You have Gothic which is great and then there is Arcania. Same thing here. You have Diablo and then you have this thing.

I had played this game before when it was called Fate. Fate and Torchlight are a child's game. They're an intro to action-rpg type of games.

Baldree needs to take a break and let Schaefer work on Torchlight 2. If I see more of his influence in the game and less of Baldree's then I might try T2. After all Hellgate London was a damn fine game so I know the two of them can come up with something fun. Too bad not many people shared that opinion about Hellgate. I'd buy Hellgate 2 in half-a-heartbeat, but this one. Meh…..I'll read the reviews.

I will say I liked the music and having your cat take your stuff back to town was a good idea. Saved time, but in the end I got bored quickly.

Well, i got bored and bought GT2 from steam after reading a few reviews and seeing the game in action. After playing for about 4-5 hours, i'll say it is a much better game than the first one and almost worth the price. Of course, it still shares the same shitty engine, which means during that time i had to ragequit 2-3 times due to absolutely idiotic camera system and bad ai pathfinding, so nothing was fixed or improved upon here. The jokes however come across much better this time and the writing is much much less of a typo ridden mess than it was in the first game. The crazy girlfriend from Arcania was probably what broke the ice for me :D Overall i get almost a deathspank type of crazy vibe out of this one, although at their cores the games are very different. I'm not so sure voice acting was such a good idea however. Some of it is genuinely funny, some of it is suitably corny, but the main character sounds like a leisure suit larry type balding mafioso waterboy sleazebag, rather than a goth, at least in the english version.

Last edited:
Come on, this is absurd. No objective review can score a game with lower than 5.

Depends on the scoring scheme. You could be saying every game has to score better than average ;)

Back
Top Bottom