Lord of the Rings Online

Thaurin

SasqWatch
Anyone try this out yet? I went for the 10-day early start pre-order for 8 euro.

The game seems very solid and polished. Of course, it's not very original and it blatantly copies a lot of UI and gameplay concepts, but so did World of Warcraft. It also has a very deep and detailed IP with Tolkien's world and is extremely story-driven for an MMO. I think that's one of its major strengths.

It will be interesting to see how this one will be picked up, because I think it does many things right.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm quite sure that LOTRO will not be as successful as many people think right now. I've played the beta for a while and LOTRO's main problem will be that it offers absolutely nothing new apart from the Middle Earth setting. The gameplay is almost identical (and I mean identical, not similar) to that of WoW. But LOTRO just does not offer the possibilities that WoW offers, there is no real PvP (there is monster play which in itself is very limited and which just isn't the same), and there are very few classes and races, which are very close to eachother in terms of gameplay.
LOTRO is in beta for quite some time now and they are giving out keys like mad. Still the game is just at 7.0 on the hype meter - behind WAR, AoC, and even PotBS. That is usually a very bad sign, since the closer a game comes to its release the higher it usually climbs, and LOTRO hasn't moved for months now.

I don't think LOTRO is a bad game - in fact it is probably Turbine's best game after AC1. But it suffers under the same problems that all Turbine games had so far: It does not offer as much as its direct competitors.

LOTRO will most likely be successful in the first few months after its release, but I'm sure not as successful as expected, and subscription numbers will drop after a while - unless Turbine has something really groundbreaking in stock.

Last edited:
I agree it has few new things to offer, but it does certain things slightly better than current competitors (and other things worse). Still, I think it's the most promising MMO that has come out lately, maybe simply because the recent MMO releases were all very disappointing at release. I have to admit that the first-time awe is already wearing off a little bit, but it's still interests me more than WoW TBC currently does.

The fresh setting, graphics and slightly better quest system makes it so. I never really bothered with PvP in WoW, anyway.

I played the beta and was very dissapointed. I didn't buy the game. I have always been a Tolkien fanatic and found the world boring and full of stupid monsters that didn't fit the theme as I saw it-weird space type monsters and things that seemed so out of place with his mythology.

I found the quests dull and repetitive and the world seemed small and uninspired. Bree was a huge metropolis it seemed just for the reason of putting a big city in the first release rather than to represent it's actual size and the whole thing seemed off somehow. I didn't find the graphics great as everyone else finds them-I thought the art direction was uninspired. They may be higher resolution than WOW but they lack any character which WOW has tons of. The environments seemed sort of cut and paste a rock or tree here etc......

I tried to like it since I have been waiting so many years for a good Tolkien game to come out but I think I may wait forever.....The White Council looked promising but I guess that's dead now....?....

Does anyone play this game? I finally got my copy of the game and just love the graphics :) Are there any rp-ers here on the Eu-servers?

I dont play this because they didnt include the entire world of Middle Earth. When there are enough expansions done that have the entire ME then will I play the game, and not before. IMO they messed it up. Tolkien's world deserved a better game than this, and I also think that Turbine was the wrong company to sell this lisence to for an MMORPG.

Does anyone play this game? I finally got my copy of the game and just love the graphics :) Are there any rp-ers here on the Eu-servers?

I just received my copy today. It's my first MMORPG.
I created my character at the Gilrain server, but what is the difference between a roleplaying server and a normal server?

On a Roleplaying Server you need a decent in-character name for your avatar (for example, Jethron instead of something like Araggorn, xxxNewbxxx, or GangstaX); plus you should talk in-character when speaking in a public channel.

Loro is good .. ive been quite hooked on it for 2 months now
as for RP servers ... anyone ever played on them? .. isnt it just plain ackward to say RP stuff when youre visiting the same dungeon and killing the same boss for 100x time? :)
youd have to say stuff like...
evil is always vigilant ..... or how would you actually comment on that ? :D

anyway .. do not start playing when you
1) are a tolkien fanatic (youll be dissapointed by the use of the license)
2) if you played WoW and now are expecting something new - there is absolutely nothing groundbreakingly new in this game .. its a nice copy and paste of other MMOS blended finely together ... nothing else

if you are an MMO junkie (you probably already started) and if you never played an MMO before i strongly recomend picking up this box

I used to play on the official RP server and, as a matter of fact, it is terribly awkward. I was in the barrow-downs, searching for Malin and I asked a few travellers(players) if they knew where he was. The response was: "We had to kill him, he went mad and attacked us." I was like "Duh..." This repetitiveness spoils the whole experience of roleplaying
I wish that game offered more possibilities to roleplay :(

Back
Top Bottom