Drakensang Questions about TDE rules

How often do you increase primary stats (strength etc)? If I increase my 2-handed axe from 8 to 9, is that a tiny or significant increase?
I'm not sure, but as I like to specialize, I only increased skills in the beginning. They are much cheaper too. Here's an example:

My main character was an Elven Ranger who trained in herbs, perception, bows and all bow related skills including bow making, as well as two or three related spells. At some point I needed a minimum "base long range combat value" (don't know what it's called exactly, should be listed on your character's weapon skill page) to be able to get one of the better talents. Right clicking on the value tells you which stats it is governed by - calculation was something like strength+dexterity+something / 5. So those were the ones I increased a bit.

Much later in the game I almost exclusively increased primary stats because the skills I wanted were already maxed out.

What I know as "Selbstbeherrschung" from the German version must definitively - I think - be pushed relatively high !

This skill allows the character to ignore wounds and heavy beatings, which means in the result that the possibility of being wounded is decreased.

I found it necessary to have it relatively high.

Finding herbs is imho also very good, because it allows you to have a good supply of herbs for healing.

Which I also put several points into was healing itself. At least with one permanent party member.

All in all, I developed a rather defensive party-character building.

Also, is experiance shared among party members or not?

Experience is divided among all party members so you should fill out your party as soon as possible (so everyone is getting the xp).

You may see different experience gains from kills going to different characters. This has nothing to do with what they did or did not do in the fight I'm pretty sure the xp gained from kills is based on the level of the creature compared to the level of the character. In the eary game I had 2 people that were lvl 2 and Dranor was level 3. For killing rats the level 2's both got 4xp per kill but Dranor only got 2xp per kill. But I'm pretty sure quest experience rewards are fixed and not in relation to your level so every would get the same reward (4 party members get 25xp each...but 1 party member would still only get 25xp (not 100))

I assumed it was level based as I saw some members get 10XP while others got 20 for a given completion of quest.

The higher the level, the less xp are received - at least for killing creatures/monsters.
I don't remember that applying to quests, too. I just don't know anymore.

Okay, if someone has time explain weapon damage. I'll have a weapon that does something like 1D+2(1W+3) for 13 Strength. If you have a handy explanation of spell damage that would help too. I'm guessing 1 die of damage +2 but I have no idea what 1W+3 is talking about....

TDE uses only two kinds of dice: 6-sided and 20-sided.

1W+3 means you roll a 6-sided dice and add 3 to the outcome.

The 20-sided is used by tests of skills and attributes.

Edit
W is for "Würfel", the german word for Dice :)

I guess they changed the "W" for "D" in the first case and left the "W" in the second ?

There are a lot changes in the rueles since the time I played (so 20 years ago ^^) so I can only guess that the first Value stands for the Base-Damage of the Weapon and the second for the overall Damage with the Strength-Bonus of your Character ?

Back in my days every Strength-Point above 12 gave bonus-damage - AFAIK they changed this mechanic dramaticaly.

I'll have a weapon that does something like 1D+2(1W+3) for 13 Strength.
Localization bug / oversight. As Fenris said, W = D, so it should probably be:

1D+2 (1D+3 for 13 strength)

The first value tells you how much damage a weapon does. And the value in parentheses is the damage caused by the weapon including strength bonus.

As for spell damage.. that's a bit trickier. Some spells do damage based on mana consumed, others do more damage the higher the modifier is. The modifier can be set via small arrows on the spell icons in your quickslot bar as you gain levels. The modifier raises the spells' mana cost too.

I'm not too versed in the rules myself, I only know what I figured out in the game, so if others can offer a more detailed overview, please do so.

I wondered what those little arrows were for! I was wondering why my level 12 Ignifaxus was no more powerful than my level 4 one :)

Two questions, if I may: Does the charactor's base PA(Parry) value ever go up... say per level or something? Can I facilitate this? One of my characters really needs Master Parry but her base PA is 1 shy.

Also, as pertaining to shields: one shield has a Weapon Bonus: 0/1. Another has a Weapon Bonus: -1/3. What does this mean? I thought the 0/1 was better, but that shield is somewhat cheaper to sell.

Answer to your first question: You raise your base values (attack, parry, ranged) by raising attributes. These base values are calculated by adding three attributes (for parry it is Intuition+Dexterity+Strength divided by 5, AFAIR, but you should be able to look it up in the game by rightclicking on your base value).

Second question: The -1/3 shield protexts you more. The first value is the modifier for your attack values when using the shield, so it's -1, 5% less chance of a success (for example, your attack value might drop from 15 to 14, you need to roll your value or lower with a D20 to successfully attack). 3 gets added to parrying.

Two small clarifications:

1. Base parry value is Intuition + Agility (not Dexterity) + Strength divided by 5. The result is rounded, so the value increases by one point when you reach a total in the three attributes of ...,33, 38, 43, 48, 53 and so on...

2. The parry modifier of the shield only affects your shield parry, not your weapon parry. If you are using a shield you have two parries: a weapon parry (first value) and a shield parry (second value). I'd still recommend you to use shields with high parry modifiers (even if it costs you one or two points of attack).

Ah yes... that's a good clarification on the rounding of values, Curunir. That's the first thing that struck me when I dove back into the game - with 36 and dividable by 5, I had 7.2... I was wondering if I was going to need to raise up the cheapest of those three stats by 4 points. That seemed like it would take forever, considering how expensive they are. Thanks for that!

Great thread, thanks! Here's an easy one: a successful pickpocket check will always reveal everything on the victim, correct? I assume the pockets don't get "deeper" the greater the skill.

Here's an easy one: a successful pickpocket check will always reveal everything on the victim, correct? I assume the pockets don't get "deeper" the greater the skill.
I think so, yes. An unsuccessful pickpocket check, however, won't let you pickpocket the same target again, so be careful.

Important named NPCs occasionally carry very valuable stuff! You'll need a rather high pickpocket skill though.

What does gaining a level do, exactly?

You can raise your skills higher... but is there anything else, do you gain "hit point"? Speaking of hit point, it seems to have another meaning than what we usually have.

The broad sword you obtain at the beginning has a weapon stat of 0/-1. What does it mean exactly? You have 2 attacks by turn and there is a -1 penalty on the second one?

On weapons... what's the difference between a 1d+3 mace and a 1d+3 axe, a 1d3 saber, or a 1d+3 sword. Seems they are all pretty much the same. My warrior has a bonus with swords, how is this bonus reflected?

Back
Top Bottom