Arcanum - Unofficial Fan Patch 1.5.1

Arcanum was buggy, but not unfinished. It was far less buggy than a modern Bethesda game. I played it without any unofficial patches and it was just fine. This is a fan made patch that fixes some minor bugs that are still left behind and adds things like high resolution support and some extra content. You can play it just fine now. You could do so years ago since newer versions of this patch don't add something spectacular or fix some game breaking bug that will ruin your experience.

Umm, no, I never played it because of the vision. I played it because it's one of the most entertaining gaming experiences I've ever had. And that's in spite of the bugs, not because of them…

The joys of subjectivity and definitive but detailess language.

Stopped reading right there.

Story of your life I'm sure.

It was far less buggy than a modern Bethesda game.

High praise indeed. I'll remember to use Bethesda games as my bug-benchmark in future.

Your first post in this thread, Lackblogger, is simply riddled with incorrect assumptions. Try speaking from a position for experience first. Or, you can continue to talk yourself out of actual experiences by thinking you know better before you even begin.

I'm not a big fan of the graphics or combat but I got alot out of the world design, quests, music and general reactivity. I would love it if the patch found someway to improve the combat or at least make it less painful.

I'd like to see Arcanum get the official EE treatment from Beamdog or a similar developer if they could acquire the rights from Activision. They could add the fixes Drog has already implemented plus overhaul the balance to make certain character builds more enjoyable.

I wouldn't mind seeing all of Troika's games get the EE treatment, but I'm not sure there's much more anyone can do that Wesp and CO8 haven't already done for VTMB and TOEE.

While I'm all for an Overhaul, the game's primary weaknes - combat - would likely involve a great deal more work than the usual skin-deep veneer Beamdog applies.

Perhaps if Obsidian makes Microsoft some above average money in the years to come, they'll earn themselves enough clout to ask MS for such a side-project. Noone is better suited to delving into Arcanum code & systems than Tim Cain.

While I'm all for an Overhaul, the game's primary weaknes - combat - would likely involve a great deal more work than the usual skin-deep veneer Beamdog applies.

Give NPC casters larger spell books and make bullets more easy to find/craft.

Combats fixed.

Last edited:
I believe an overhaul/remaster of this game would sell pretty well, if they threw a bit of money at smart advertising. It really doesn't need anymore content, just bring the graphics up to date and make certain it runs well on newer machines/platforms, and people will line up to toss money at it.

The joys of subjectivity and definitive but detailess language.

Story of your life I'm sure.

High praise indeed. I'll remember to use Bethesda games as my bug-benchmark in future.

I don't want to sound rude when I say this reminds me of a forum discussion I was in when we ran into a number of guys who said they wouldn't see Princess Bride because it was a chick movie. Play it, you'll enjoy it. You're missing out. Its a gem with a few flaws.

It had bugs (only real one was the Directx8 audio bug. It was easily fixed by reverting to Directx7 IIRC.) and it is unbalance. But its a fantastic game with tons of RPG options. My favorite was the Ogre conspiracy.

Keep in mind Troika was forced to release the game early (even though they bragged about it).

Some people thought it was ugly though. The faded colors and coal dust look gave it a gritty realism you don't see even in modern steampunk games.

I hope that so,eone gets the Rights to do a remaster of it.

I don't want to sound rude when I say this reminds me of a forum discussion I was in when we ran into a number of guys who said they wouldn't see Princess Bride because it was a chick movie.

Let me spell it out for you:

1. The game is still being patched 18 years after it was released.
2. When it was released there were better games available (and by better I mean not sloppy unfinished messes).
3. Steampunk is not a selling point for me, to me that sounds like "half of what you like and half guns, which you don't".
4. The combat sucks.
5. The inventory and loot system sucks.
6. Crafting is not a selling point for me, quite the opposite.

So what are you 'loving' about it? Let's read on and find out:

Play it, you'll enjoy it. You're missing out. Its a gem with a few flaws.

Or perhaps it's a stinker with a few great highlights?

It had bugs (only real one was the Directx8 audio bug. It was easily fixed by reverting to Directx7 IIRC.) and it is unbalance. But its a fantastic game with tons of RPG options. My favorite was the Ogre conspiracy.

It has RPG options? I assume you're only referring to narrative and story branching here when you categorise this kind of thing as an 'RPG option'? Are you not confusing yourself here and mistaking the general concept of Choose Your Own Adventure with the concept of RPG?

Having the option to kill A or B is not a selling point for me. It is not something that is fundamental to the RPG genre, least of all an aspect of any game that has ever appealed to me. I honestly don't care if the plot is entirely railroaded or if I have to flip a coin every time I talk to someone, neither version nor anything in between has anything to do with the concept of RPGing beyond content that's gated by either skills or class.

If I'm misunderstanding here and you're suggesting that the game has any qualities beyond narrative pomposity then I'm all ears, I've never heard anyone talk about any positive points beyond things like "Dialogue option ABC resulted in XYZ amusing outcome". And here I'll admit, if that's enough to make you love a game, more power to you, I'm sure you've found yourself a great game. But this idea that this makes it some kind of king of RPGs? LOL… no.

Keep in mind Troika was forced to release the game early (even though they bragged about it).

I don't care what the excuses are TBH, from a playing point of view at least. It's certainly amusing reading the schadenfreude of famous fuck-ups, but I usually prefer not to play them.

Some people thought it was ugly though. The faded colors and coal dust look gave it a gritty realism you don't see even in modern steampunk games.

Never heard that complaint before, but sure, I just love gritty realism in my fantasy settings… [sarcasm]. Perhaps what they were saying was that it suffered from tonal imbalance but you chose to imagine they were only talking about coloring…

Let me spell it out for you:

1. The game is still being patched 18 years after it was released.
2. When it was released there were better games available (and by better I mean not sloppy unfinished messes).
3. Steampunk is not a selling point for me, to me that sounds like "half of what you like and half guns, which you don't".
4. The combat sucks.
5. The inventory and loot system sucks.
6. Crafting is not a selling point for me, quite the opposite.

Not my war but:

1. Morrowind, New Vegas, Bloodlines… still get patches decades after release by their dedicated fanbases. Because they're great games.
2. The game wasn't unfinished. I completed it a few days after it's release and everything was there.
3. Fair enough.
4. True, but roleplaying and dialogs rocks.
5. It's a regular inventory system, nothing special. Loot has been improved with patches (more ammo!)
6. Crafting is for tech characters only, it's a small part of the game.

Anyways, I loved this game for the exact same reasons I loved Fallout 1&2. Combats sure are boring, but lore, characters and dialogs are awesome (story is ok).
Just build a social character and have fun.

Last edited:
It's "only" a 70 hours long game and in 2001 I was young and unemployed. Didn't skipped any content, I was a no-life :-/

It's a lot longer than that if you do every quest and explore every location. My completionist run was well over 100 hours.

Well, mine was approximately 70 hours.

Maybe I read faster than you IDK :cool:

It definitively was, though :p

But why are you bickering about that? Do you think it's some kind of contest or are you just bored today?

Easily triggered are we? :)

I would have thought the winking smiley would cue you in that I was just teasing you. I'll be sure to wear kid gloves in the future.

Back
Top Bottom