Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
I think Bethesda earns a lot of money with ESO. I played it myself for a year.
And some Watchers like @Jaz; are still playing it on regular basis.

I got bored after I have maxed out my character, but it is fun for a while.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the split though. All the money goes to Zenimax, but I'm not sure how it trickles back out. I dabble in ESO occasionally myself.

A review of every major CRPG from the last ten years

A guide to modern CRPG's. Featuring: reviews, comparisons, definitions, history lessons, award shows, motivational speeches, and more. Wow, what doesn't this video have? (the answer is all the CRPG's that weren't included, /shrug)

Content:

Introduction 02:22
Defining CRPG (and RPG history) 13:18
Shadowrun Games 19:38
Wasteland 2 25:51
Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 32:46
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 41:03 -
Age of Decadence 48:11
UnderRail 56:14
Tyranny 1:01:23
Torment: Tides of Numenera 1:07:55
Pathfinder: Kingmaker 1:14:26
Atom RPG 1:22:02
Disco Elysium 1:27:32
Conclusion and Recommendations
Dwerve is a tower defense dungeon crawler RPG. - Kickstarter

Dwerve is a tower defense dungeon crawler RPG. It tells the story of a young dwarven tinkerer named Dwerve who adventures into dwarven ruins to unearth the lost technologies of the ancient warsmiths: turrets and traps. These are the only weapons that can protect the dwarves from the Witch Queen Vandra the Wicked and her army of bloodthirsty trolls and monstrous creatures. Coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux in 2021.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - Choose Your Destiny: Sorcery

You prefer to destroy your opponents with raw magic rather than through crude or mundane methods? With Sorcery, you will devote yourself to the Arcane and a mastery of elemental forces.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister Update - Gamescom Is Over
Not everyone could tune in live to our different Gamescom events, so here they are for you to watch at your leisure:

An in-depth exoneration of Chris Avellone

Join me for the deepest dive into the subject so far, gaining the kind of detailed information you always gain from a proper investigation.
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord - Gamescom 2020 Recap
Greetings warriors of Calradia!

With the merriments of the Gamescom 2020 Online event behind us, we want to take a moment to reflect on the weekend’s proceedings. But before we continue, please allow us to give a massive thanks to everyone that was able to take part! We had such a great time interacting with and playing alongside you all, and it was amazing to see so many of you come to share in our celebrations.

And for those of you that were unable to attend, don’t panic! We’ve got your back with links below to VODs of the live streams that you can watch at your leisure.
ATOM RPG Trudograd - 0.6.72 Bug Fixes
Hey guys! We're releasing a patch that fixes most critical bugs found in the last update. Some of these could not have been found without your feedback. Thank you very much!

A review of every major CRPG from the last ten years

Dwerve is a tower defense dungeon crawler RPG. - Kickstarter

It's a decent vid, but that kid's voice drives me nuts.

Sounds like he's trying to seduce me.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Review - I Reckon It's Ok

Karak reviews Kingdoms Of Amalur: Re-Reckoning
First 22 Minutes of Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Gameplay

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning has finally arrived, and with it some improvements to the original. First 22 minutes of gameplay.
Might & Magic VI-inspired Legendary Journeys available on Early Access

Create your party of adventurers and set out on a quest to free an old man's magically imprisoned son. Journey the lands of Farmoor in search of the four artifacts needed to reform The Eye of Baal. Not all that live in Farmoor sees this as a good thing.
The Way of Wrath new Progress Report

It’s been a few weeks since the last beta, and a lot happened. Preparing the first beta, changing combat style and updating systems took a lot of months of hard work. First, we took some time to rest and recover our energy. It's very easy to overwork yourself in indie development, and it's something we all need to watch out for and take time to rest to stay healthy.

Then we organized all your feedback and bug reports and started working hard to implement it in preparation for the next beta. We’ve improved controls, combat feedback, rewrote character creation, and made big changes to the skill system.
Wasteland 3 - Patch 1.1.0 Now Live - Steam

Quests and Gameplay
  • Fixed issues that could cause character and quest progression to be lost
  • Fixed Fishlips’ encounter
  • Fixed an issue where some players would see an endlessly looping Ambush Site intro
  • The La Perla quest can now be completed
  • Polly and the Cyborg Chickens have been beefed up
Co-op
  • Fixed issues that could cause character and quest progression to be lost
  • Fixed multiple issues that could cause an infinite loading screen
    • We're aware this issue is still impacting some players and are investigating
  • Fixed a sync issue where the host and guest could see the Kodiak in different places after receiving a radio call
  • The host and guests will no longer get different radio calls on the world map
  • Resolved an issue where one player would only see a black screen while the other is watching the intro video
  • Resolved an issue whereby one player getting disconnected in character creation within Ranger HQ would cause the other player’s game to become unresponsive
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when a second player joins an in-progress conversation with Irv
  • Fixed a crash that could occur for the guest when talking with Hope Emerson
Stability
  • Fixed a possible freeze when approaching a specific robot in Broadmoor Heights
  • Fixed an issue where the UI could disappear if viewing the main menu for a long time

Medieval Dynasty Insider Video #2

The time has finally come to show you our second Medieval Dynasty Insider Video. This time we will bring you a little closer to the city building aspect and management of the game. As always let us know what you think about the video in the comment section below. We always want to hear your opinions and thoughts.
A Bit on Main Quests, Side Quests, and Chapters in Medieval Dynasty - Steam
Today we want to tell you a bit more about main quests, side quests, and chapters in Medieval Dynasty. Apart from surviving, growing your tribe and building your city, you will also experience a story and you will come across quests from people that are in need. There will be three types of categories of quests that you will experience: main quests, side quests, and chapters. Here is a little breakdown of those three.

Main quests are the big story lines in Medieval Dynasty. They will take place all over the world, with some spanning over decades of in-game time. There will be dozens of hours of quest gameplay in the Early Access phase with more added as the game evolves. These will be long quests with huge rewards and they will be the backbone of the Medieval Dynasty story.
How I ALMOST Made the Game of My Dreams - Medium
I had the opportunity to work with the developers of one of my very favorite classic video games: The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall. Sadly, after 18 months and little progress, it was not meant to be.

Legends of Ellaria - Kingdom Management Part 1

Legends of Ellaria Kingdom Management, Part 2

Today, we are focusing on how to play Legends of Ellaria in its world view. We will explore how to develop your kingdom and how to expand it by conquering other areas. The second stream will take place next Thursday, around the same time as today, and it will focus on the RTS/FPS gameplay.

Apparently Exanima is still in development but you need to check for updates on Discord.

The developers have something called a coffee diary on Steam.
We're currently working on quite a few things in parallel, but at this point it's about completing various bits and bobs rather than developing anything new. We're shifting gears to get the largest changes such as the new renderer and procedural item system in the hands of beta testers very soon.

So far Kieran has developed all the new weapon assets, working closely with Madoc to figure the whole system out. Now that the system is fully functional and we've also improved our tools, he's rapidly producing a huge quantity of great looking weapons. We really want to make a lot of weapons, and we'll continue to do so gradually. Now that everything is well established other team members will also be able to get involved and contribute their designs.
Exanima - Arena NPC Fights

Exanima - The Beast Arena NPC Battles / Episode 2

I have no clue if the original game Sui Generis will ever be finished either.:(

Wasteland 3 - Accolades Trailer

It’s been a wild ride and the universal appreciation for Wasteland 3 is truly amazing! From its deep engaging narrative to tough decision making and heart-thumping combat, the great reviews and scores just keep on coming! Enjoy the Wasteland 3 Accolades Trailer!
Bannerlord Development Update #3: War and Peace

In this development update, we take a look at some of the recent changes that made it into e1.5.0 and e1.5.1.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister -Early Access Release Date
Check out the cinematic release date trailer for Solasta: Crown of the Magister, the turn-based RPG launching into Early Access on October 20 for PC via Steam.

Last edited:
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Review - The Final Verdict

In the end, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is the perfect representation of this underrated diamond in the rough’s strengths- because it’s brought over the original game almost exactly as is.
More Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Reviews

1. IGN - 6/10
  2. WCCFTech - 8/10
  3. GamingBolt - 7/10
  4. CGMagazine - 8/10
  5. ScreenRant - 3/5
The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon -Released

The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon is available now for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. This is the first narrative expansion to the critically-acclaimed and award-winning sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. A severed arm and a mysterious message lead the crew of the Unreliable to the Gorgon Asteroid, formerly the site of one of Halcyon’s most ambitious and disastrous scientific undertakings, now a lawless den of monsters and marauders. Wealthy recluse Minnie Ambrose tasks the crew with finding answers about Dr. Olivia Ambrose, her mother and the doomed project’s disgraced director, but they are soon ensnared in an intrigue that will change the colony forever.
The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon Reviews

1. Destructoid - 8/10
  2. Game Revolution - 4.5/5
  3. GameSkinny- 8/10
  4. GameSpew - 7/10
  5. GamingTrend - 75/100
  6. IGN - 7/10
  7. PC Invasion - 8/10
  8. Screen Rant - 3/5

Ubisoft revealed Immortals Fenyx Rising and previewers call it a Zelda clone.

Immortals Fenyx Rising: Official World Premiere Trailer

Immortals Fenyx Rising™ brings grand mythological adventure to life. Play as Fenyx, a new winged demigod on a quest to save the Greek gods and their home from a dark curse. Take on mythological beasts, master the legendary powers of the gods and defeat Typhon, the deadliest Titan in Greek mythology, in an epic fight for the ages. The fate of the world is at stake – you are the gods’ last hope.
Immortals Fenyx Rising: Game 101 Trailer
Take a deeper look inside Immortals Fenyx Rising, a new open-world action-adventure game inspired by Greek mythology. Play as Fenyx, a new winged demigod on a quest to save the Greek gods and their home from a dark curse. With the help of reclaimed legendary artifacts, Fenyx will take on mythological beasts, solve puzzles, and master the legendary powers of the gods to defeat Typhon, the deadliest Titan in Greek mythology, in an epic fight for the ages. Immortals Fenyx Rising, on sale December 3, 2020.
I Played 2.5 Hours Of Immortals Fenyx Rising (Hands-On Gameplay Impressions)

Last edited:
According to the third video, the devs themselves say they took a lot of inspiration from Zelda. (I never played a Zelda so I don't care either way.)

That arrows stuff looks like it would be a lot better with mouse/keyboard!

Starry Void is a sci-fi dungeon crawler set on an abandoned spacecraft - Steam
This Starry Void is a sci-fi dungeon crawler set in a space-craft found mysteriously adrift near Saturn - the crew either dead or missing, the ship overrun by impossible creatures.

As Drone Pilot for the first ship to approach, you will guide a remote-controlled robot through the vessel, fighting off the horrors encountered there in your search for survivors. Inspired by the first-person dungeon crawlers of the 1980s and 90s, This Starry Void focuses on a single character to create a new level of tactical combat.

Face-to-face with an incomprehensible power, what choice would you make?
Ostranauts is available on Early Access - Steam

Roll-up a new captain, head out into the boneyard, and start picking over derelicts for useful parts. And when you find "the one," start fixing it up with spare parts and elbow grease, and make it your own. But don't forget to take a break every now and then to visit K-Leg for some R&R. And maybe convince a crew member to join you?

Thanks - hadn't heard of Starry Void, and it looks pretty interesting. (Dreadful name though!)

RUNE II: The Campaign Update Official Trailer

After months of development from all of us on the Studio 369 team, The Campaign Update is available right now! The RUNE II Campaign Update will debut the dungeons of Midgard, the new skill tree system, updated horde events, and additional mythical creatures. An all-new main narrative will replace the old RUNE II storyline, introducing new characters, quests, and an ending sequence fit for a legendary Viking saga. The brand new Campaign Update is a free update for all RUNE II players.
RUNE II Campaign Update Gameplay

A lot has changed since we released RUNE II on November 13, 2019. We’ve greatly improved the combat, added a brand new skill tree, removed The Ragnarok Timer and implemented a brand new linear narrative, added Dungeons, and a whole lot more.
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos - Close up on The Elf

Lords of the Fallen 2 has another Developer - CI Games
CI Games is proud to announce the opening of Hexworks, a brand new game development studio that is to be based in Barcelona and Bucharest. The Barcelona crew opened doors at the beginning of March, with the team in Bucharest following a few weeks later. Collectively, the team of veterans has been hard at work on their debut title: Lords of the Fallen 2. The fantasy action-RPG is targeted for next gen consoles and PC.

“It’s been a long time since we started talking about Lords of the Fallen 2 and trying different ideas. I am very excited for us to be able to announce the new studio that has been already at work for the last half of the year and made significant progress,” says CI Games CEO Marek Tyminski. “Initially we decided to keep that quiet as we didn’t want to bring that to public eyes before we would build the core team and before we would all agree on the details of the first project and move forward with our vision. So, this is the time to officially say we are here and we’re here to stay.”

Black Myth: Wukong 19 New Details

We've learned the planned length of Black Myth: Wukong, how it's the start of a series, and many more new details about the breakout Chinese indie game.
Immortals Fenyx Rising: 20 Minutes of Gameplay

Check out 20 minutes of PC gameplay footage from Ubisoft's upcoming action-adventure game Immortals Fenyx Rising, previously known as Gods & Monsters.
Dragon Age: Inquisition - The 2020 Review

Today, we bring justice to the poorly done review of mine in 2014 for Dragon Age: Inquisition by BioWare. I haven't played the game in 6 years, it is my first time with the DLC, and people insisted Trespasser would make it all worth it leaving us with one final question. Was this playthrough any different then what I had been preaching for years? Well, get cozy because we have a chonker of a video to answer all that and more.
More Gamedec Previews

PC Gamer
In all honesty, Gamedec is the kind of 7/10 RPG small European studios specialize in. It's just one that hasn't bolted on a combat system to distract from its better qualities. Combat adds friction to narrative games, but it often becomes a crutch. Plot scene, fight scene, exploration zone, fight scene—a pattern that becomes familiar, and then contemptible. "Oh hey, this room has waist-high walls in it, guess I'm about to be ambushed again."
Adventure Gamers
After the few hours I spent with Gamedec’s pre-alpha demo, I’m excited to see the final product, which is expected to release sometime later this year. As with Disco Elysium, it is a game that both RPG fans and even strict adventure game enthusiasts can enjoy, as the point-and-click controls should make it easy to get the hang of investigating as a game detective. Here’s hoping this atmospheric cyberpunk mystery lives up to its obvious potential.

Anyone play RUNE 2 around here with some feedback on it?

Thanks for the vids on RUNE 2 ... hadn't really been aware of that game.

Back
Top Bottom