Elex IGN did NOT like Elex - 4.9/10

Another review mentioning major bugs… Has anyone here on PC encountered major bugs yet? The only bugs I've had are gfx glitches, e.g. I've had NPCs walking through me (though, better than blocking me I guess) and a glitch where I kept popping up and down, into and out of the floor during a conversation. I'm only 7 or 8 hours in, though.

Edit: oh, see the technical issues thread. Even then, I expected much more.

Last edited:
Another review mentioning major bugs… Has anyone here on PC encountered major bugs yet? The only bugs I've had are gfx glitches, e.g. I've had NPCs walking through me (though, better than blocking me I guess) and a glitch where I kept popping up and down, into and out of the floor during a conversation. I'm only 7 or 8 hours in, though.

Nah, none for me. Minus like, folded arms slightly clipping through the chests of NPCs. 13 hours in here.

Saw some Steam users also commenting that it has little or no bugs in their games either.

Edit: oh, see the technical issues thread. Even then, I expected much more.

Well, remember these guys already finished the game. DOS2 also had little to no major bugs at the start, for the first 20 hours or so, then leave island 2 and your experience might be quite different.

Well, remember these guys already finished the game. DOS2 also had little to no major bugs at the start, for the first 20 hours or so, then leave island 2 and your experience might be quite different.

They also played the unpatched version.

IGN sees problems that don't exist in my game.
….

A bit like you see a lot of problems/bugs in Skyrim that l never experienced? :)

Some bugs appear to almost everyone, others are experienced by some people and not others. Partly due to what parts of game they're playing, partly due to other things.

pibbur who himself thankfully is not bug free.

PS: I admit that it seems that more people had problems with Skyrim, so maybe I was lucky. DS.

… It's dev. studio pushed the worst possible console/phone designs onto PC and is from Norway….

Hah!

pibbur who hopes (but cannot exclude) that it their nationality doesn't have something to do with it.

I had crashes recently on laptops and it went away after disabling auto save but not everyone has this issue.

Based on want I am seeing on gog and steam forums, this game does have fair share of bugs for some people compared to most AAA games these days...

This is my GOTY by far so far.

Your GOTY so far by far?? I haven't played it yet (I intend to), but it's above Original Sin 2??? Original Sin 2 is shaping up to be an all-time great for me, even if I enjoy Elex a lot, I am very doubtful it will come close to it.

IGN is the Skip Bayless of gaming sites. They throw out insane arguments just to get attention.

Your GOTY so far by far?? I haven't played it yet (I intend to), but it's above Original Sin 2??? Original Sin 2 is shaping up to be an all-time great for me, even if I enjoy Elex a lot, I am very doubtful it will come close to it.

I wasn't into DOS 2. Maybe I'll give it another crack again in the future, but it just didn't grab me. But I love ELEX so far. I expected that too really. But the game is a bit better than I even thought it would be.

I just find it hard to believe or maybe understand how these sites are honestly giving the game these scores. Accounting for tastes I could understand 6's and 7's, but 4's? It's really like we're not playing the same game.

It also seems like some reviews are panning the game for the challenging core design principles that Piranha Bytes uses in their games. Yet I didn't see them saying the same about Dark Souls, another challenging (albeit for different reasons) RPG that played by its own rules.

Knowledgeable people on the Steam forums are also pointing out that the reviews contain false information about the game in terms of the design of it. And there is a big disconnect in the Steam reviews and the paid review sites in terms of score, as there are currently over 1300 reviews on Steam and 73% of them are Positive. With almost 20k people in-game right now.

It's just strange to me. Bzzt bzzt...does not compute. :uhoh:

I just find it hard to believe or maybe understand how these sites are honestly giving the game these scores. Accounting for tastes I could understand 6's and 7's, but 4's? It's really like we're not playing the same game.

:

I can't remember the last time i read a review from a gaming site. They only time i see any mention of scores are when people post the scores here. As i said previously, i pay more attention to gamers (especially from this site) reviews than gaming sites.

I can't remember the last time i read a review from a gaming site. They only time i see any mention of scores are when people post the scores here. As i said previously, i pay more attention to gamers (especially from this site) reviews than gaming sites.

Same here. I just comment on it because it's a bit, I dunno...troubling, when IGN and these sites have millions of subscribers, many of which will see such a low score and completely disregard the game. IGN has 9 million subs, for example.

Ah well. It's frustrating but also nothing new with PB games. But the cool twist here is that this is a PB game that is even converting more casual gamers/those unfamiliar with PB's design. That was completely unexpected.

I guess the "by far" statement just caught me off guard, since there have been other great games released this year. I tend to appreciate games from Piranha Bytes and I imagine I will enjoy this one too. That said, they aren't everyone's cup of tea and I almost anticipated there being some lower scores.

I guess the "by far" statement just caught me off guard, since there have been other great games released this year. I tend to appreciate games from Piranha Bytes and I imagine I will enjoy this one too. That said, they aren't everyone's cup of tea and I almost anticipated there being some lower scores.

I anticipated lower scores too. What I didn't anticipate is the positive response on Steam. 3 out of 4 who reviewed it so far have left positive reviews, often glowing about the positive aspects of the game, with 1300+ total reviews in already. Pretty shocking to me because like you said, PB games are not everyone's cup of tea. This game is sort of converting some people into fans it seems.

After playing more, the world design of ELEX is astounding. How they managed to do what they did with 27 people is a miracle of game design. It's basically the detail and quality level of Skyrim, yet with actual challenging RPG mechanics and meaningful design. I'm up exploring near some huge domed city with a Ghostfence thing around it. Everything is hand-placed and there for a reason, whether it's a very tough monster or two or a hard-to-reach chest with quality (and never random-feeling) loot. The jetpack helps exploration greatly and there is a ton of verticality to the world. It's pretty amazing.

I'd probably say this is the best open-world design I've seen yet. It's very close to the quality of Skyrim or Fallout from Bethesda in that area IMO, but with the benefits of PB's design philosophy. I'm having a blast man.

I've played DOS:2 and am currently playing Elex. Both are great games and what I would expect from their devs, but I do believe that DOS:2 is a better, more innovative game than Elex; it's an instant classic, while Elex is a typical though very well done PB game and like all PB games was an automatic buy for me!!

@Corwin;, Funny, because I feel the exact opposite way. Although I only played D:OS 2 for a couple hours, it felt like much more of the same, i.e. traditional turn-based, party-based CRPG. Didn't grab me at the time so I stopped playing.

ELEX on the other hand has me waking up early in the morning and basically running to the computer like I'm 5 years old again and playing Nintendo. Haven't been this excited by a game in awhile. :)

@Corwin;, Funny, because I feel the exact opposite way. Although I only played D:OS 2 for a couple hours, it felt like much more of the same, i.e. traditional turn-based, party-based CRPG. Didn't grab me at the time so I stopped playing.

ELEX on the other hand has me waking up early in the morning and basically running to the computer like I'm 5 years old again and playing Nintendo. Haven't been this excited by a game in awhile. :)

I'm no stranger to PB games so I'll wait for the community patch but hearing this has made me a little more interested. :)

Back
Top Bottom