ELEX - First Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Last edited by a moderator:
Gamereactor review describes and positively reviews the game, and in its concluding paragraph it mentions the technical issues and gives it a 6/10! Absolute garbage.

I did not see technical issues hindering reviewers giving Skyrim bright reviews and scores despite its awful technical issues at launch, nor Mass Effect: Andromeda or .. <insert AAA crap title>.

Last edited:
This game looks bad even on trailers and gameplay videos.

With their track record I expected to play this one in 6 months at best and not at all in worst case.

ACG has posted a video review too, and looks like it's not very good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTicsIK5umw&t=0s

So verdict is:
Bad AI, clunky animations.
Expansive exploration.

Par for the course w/ PB :p Will wait for patches/sale. With such a big project, I just don't see why they didn't hire on someone to shore up skillsets that they clearly don't have (given past Gothic/Risen games). Can't be stuck in 2005 forever.

They didn't spent enough money in bribing game review sites, obviously....

Should i cancel my preorder? >.>

I buy piranha bytes games for the exploration, I overlook every other failing in he games if it is great and none of these review AFAIK have said much on it. >.>

These reviews are not very surprising. If you remember, when Gothic came out it got ratings in the 60's here and in the 80's in Europe. And, for pretty much the same reasons Elex is being panned now. What they look for in an RPG over there has always been different than what most look for here. Yet, Gothic remains one of my favorite RPGs ever.

We may still have a great game here. (Hey, Wisdom, I used paragraphs!). :biggrin:

@Maylander; : Have you finished the game yet ? Need your review :)

Haha, I haven't started yet. Starting tomorrow evening, and then I do actually have a few days off from work, so I'll get to play it quite a bit.

As for the reviews: Sounds about what we've come to expect from PB. No real surprises. I just hope the clunky interface they mentioned isn't as bad as it sounds, at least on PC, as PB tends to have decent enough interfaces (rarely brilliant, but rarely via a ton of menu navigation).

The reviews sound like the usual piss-in-your-cornflakes variety.
"Oh, it sucks because I can't insta-kill anything/anyone I meet."
"It isn't glitzy like XYZ."
Yadda-yadda-yadda.

Should i cancel my preorder? >.>

I buy piranha bytes games for the exploration, I overlook every other failing in he games if it is great and none of these review AFAIK have said much on it. >.>

I'm thinking the same thing. Someone referenced Gothic 1 and while admittedly it's the only game of theirs I never played, I don't expect their FIRST release to be the reviewing benchmark for this latest one many games and years later.

Haha, I haven't started yet. Starting tomorrow evening, and then I do actually have a few days off from work, so I'll get to play it quite a bit.

As for the reviews: Sounds about what we've come to expect from PB. No real surprises. I just hope the clunky interface they mentioned isn't as bad as it sounds, at least on PC, as PB tends to have decent enough interfaces (rarely brilliant, but rarely via a ton of menu navigation).

Please comment a lot on the exploration, which is the reason why I fell in love with Gothic 2, there was nothing else even remotely redeemable in that game except for exploration but it was enough to cover all the sins of the other elements and make a great game. :)

I'm thinking the same thing. Someone referenced Gothic 1 and while admittedly it's the only game of theirs I never played, I don't expect their FIRST release to be the reviewing benchmark for this latest one many games and years later.

Most RPGs today fail to meet the benchmark set by Gothic 1.

I'll give it a whirl just because I'm a big fan of nonlinear exploration. Not really much else of interest though.

Back
Top Bottom