Daggerfall Unity - New Years Update

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Daggerfall Unity is close to leaving pre-Alpha and entering Alpha status which means feature parity with classic Daggerfall.

Daggerfall Unity 0.6.1 Stable & 0.7.2 Combined Releases

Posted on January 4, 2019 by Interkarma

Happy New Year everyone! It's great to be here in 2019 at last. This will be the year that Daggerfall Unity steps out of pre-alpha into alpha, and reaches feature parity with classic Daggerfall. If you haven't seen the Roadmap page lately, it's time to take another look. There aren't too many items left now and no major systems remain to be developed. Everything that's still to do is just a small part of an otherwise finished system. Even the Quest System and Effect System roadmap pages are looking very green these days.

With a busy end to 2018, I didn't make time to put up change notes for the Live Builds released on 20 December 2018. I think its a good idea to address these changes before dropping the next release, or solid contributions from our developers aren't going properly credited. Let's start with the highlights of new features from 0.6.1 Stable and 0.7.2 builds. I've tagged anything introduced in 0.7.2 with [0.7].

Highlights

Hanging Mode for Advanced Climbing [0.7] [Meteoric Dragon]

Upgrades to the optional Advanced Climbing system allows skilled climbers to hang from ceilings and eaves, and climb around on ceilings. This rounds out the other Advanced Climbing features such as sideways movement on walls and climbing around corners.

direct link to gfy

AI Obstacle & Fall Avoidance [Allofich]

Enemy mobiles have learned a few new tricks, and it's a bit harder to trap them on the environment now. In addition to moving around static and dynamic obstacles, they're smart enough not to walk off high places. While this isn't perfect yet, it's still a big improvement over classic AI. In other news, enemy AI is now capable of bashing open locked doors to reach the player!

direct link to gfy

Personal Light Sources [Hazelnut]

If you enable "item based player torch" in startup settings > Advanced > Enhancements, you can finally make use of those lanterns, torches, and candles in General Stores. Lanterns and torches can be refuelled using oil, also found in General Stores. If you make dungeons darker with the ambient light settings on the same Enhancements page, this adds a nice RP touch to dungeon delving. It can be quite tense knowing you're running out of lantern oil and about to be lost in the dark.

Potions [0.7] [Hazelnut]

This is a big one! All potion recipes and effects are now supported in game, along with the crafting UI to make them. As a Daggerfall Unity quality of life feature, like-kind potion will stack.

[...]
More information.

Nice to see development progressing but I still don't like the graphics. Yes we've been over this on another thread already. but my opinion will never change.

You don't like the graphics compared to what? The original?
Don't like the original version graphics and this just up-scales them. Anyway that's just me as I hate re-playing retro games, and I'm always left disappointed when I do.

As Joxer says I've become a graphic whore nowadays.:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom