Gothic 3 Playing as a mage

Toaster

Sentinel
Thanks to CP1.7 I've just started playing Gothic 3 again, for the first time since I put it away in frustration playing the original version shortly after launch.

I'm playing with the new new AB and AI on medium difficulty, and my question is what would be the best training path as a mage if I'm trying to optimize fun? That is, not having to hit stuff with my Orcslayer for 15+ levels while training lots of AK I don't have any use for yet. I'm level 5 or so now, haven't spent any LPs yet and wouldn't mind letting Copper tank for me for a couple of levels, but is there some way to start casting spell pretty soon without gimping myself later on in the game?

EDIT: Also, which support skills are useful and which are just a waste of points? I'm thinking some lockpicking and potions all the way down to the permanent ones could be good to have, any others? Like the skinning / take claws ones, are they worth it?

EDIT: Also, which support skills are useful and which are just a waste of points? I'm thinking some lockpicking and potions all the way down to the permanent ones could be good to have, any others? Like the skinning / take claws ones, are they worth it?

Yes, the hunting skills are cheap to learn (LP wise), and can earn you some decent money in the early going. The Hunting skill requirement is pretty low for them as well, around 120 I think.

I did the same character and decided to go all magic except for difficult locks (to get money and otherwise unobtainable magic goodies). The only combat skill I took was staff and staff II. Put everything in AK to get Quick learner ASAP since it's a base requirement with AB. By level 15 (in Montera), I had summon skeleton and fireball and that was enough to get by. I'm now at level 28 with regenerate mana and summon demon. I still haven't done any other skills except to get hunting to 110 so I can use the bone bow. It's a little hard with AB but it can be done. I plan to add most of my future LP to extra mana since that seems to have the most payback.
AB really limits the skills you can realistically achieve so you must specialize. I've played through G3 twice before and I was shocked to realize that I couldn't be an archer and fighter too but that's the new reality; I can't even afford to get the basic utility skills because every bit of mana is precious.

I'm (slowly) working on my mage build too. (Not playing much recently, since we have home improvement in progress and have evacuated, so I'm not at my computer all that much.) I didn't go quite as extreme as fragonard -- in addition to AK and Difficult Locks, I bought the hunting perks (for money and some quest requirements), Brew Mana Potions for, well, mana potions, Prospecting for the iron ore so I can crank out bastard swords for cash, and enough STR to be able to use the blade staff. And that's as far as I intend to go with non-mage skills and perks. I'm working toward Mana Regeneration, after that I intend to take Improve Robes, Magic Staffs, and a few more spells; then build up my mana for real.

I didn't check what level I'm at now, but I'm having fun -- I can't just blast away with fireballs like crazy, but I can use a combined strategy of using them as artillery preparation and then wading in with the blade staff; I'm also not half bad at arena fights. And I'm not even wearing any armor yet.

So where can I find some staff to go with my cool staff skills? Blade staff preferably but some pointers on some magical ones for later on would be appreciated as well.

Blade staff is in magic chest #28 IIRC and I think you can buy one in Braga for 18000. If you're running AB,however, the quarterstaff is actually pretty good since it has an extra 20 damage and a blade resistance bonus.

Whaa? I bought my blade staff from the Hashishi dude in Cape Dun for 1000. (I have AB on, which may explain both the price and the availability difference.)

It does 20 more damage than the quarterstaff and feels like it has a bit more reach, same blade resistance bonus. It also deals out blade rather than bludgeoning damage. All in all, it feels a good deal more effective than the quarterstaff.

I can't seem to find ANY combat staff at all, neither the Quarterstaff nor the Blade Staff. I didn't turn the slave in to the Hashishin in Cape Dun, but there surely must be some other way?

I've seen Mage's Staff on a few vendors though.

EDIT: Just found a Quarterstaff being sold by the orc smith in Trelis, still no Blade Staff though.

EDIT2: And I finally found a Blade Staff on the Hashishin emissary in Trelis as well, so never mind :) Now, combat training!

Last edited:
What about the "Make Excuses" perk? I never could see any good use for that, as it never seemed to actually work.

What about the "Make Excuses" perk? I never could see any good use for that, as it never seemed to actually work.
The last mention of that skill is in the changelog of CP1.5

Extract from the CP Changelog:
Code:
- The skill "Make excuses" is more effective - the higher the thief skill of the hero, the lower the risk to get caught.

Mmmm, I'm guessing your Thief skill must be pretty high in order for it to be effective..
I never really tried it late in the game when my Thief skill was over 100 but I'll try it with cheats in CP1.7 to see the results.

Edit:With 100 Thief skill I failed to convince a rebel,I'll try later with 200.
Edit2:With 200 it worked:S

Last edited:
Well, whatever. I'm wearing a Druid robe, got the perk off of the head guy in Geldern and my protection stats went up considerably, but I have Helmet, rings and Amulet all added in as well. Worth getting for a mage. I don't think this does anything for armor though... does it?

A mage doesn't need much protection. You'll become so powerful when you have a fireball spell or something comparable like ice lance, you'll kill groups of 5 orcs before they can reach you.

This thread is useful. But aren't there two way of playing mage at least : water mage and fire mage ?

This thread is useful. But aren't there two way of playing mage at least : water mage and fire mage ?
Luckily the spells one is using are not restricted until later in the game so most mages make use of all the available spells no matter what their path.

Back
Top Bottom